Priceline Hotel: 4* Honolulu (Waikiki South) Marriott

BethKel
By BethKel,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding... and thanks for the compliments on the board. :)

If this HOTWIRE selection isn't a good deal perhaps you could tell us a bit more about what you're looking for and maybe we can help with alternate suggestions.

Let us know how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Indeed, if this IS the Parc, that $140 isn't a good deal, since I can get a room via Expedia for $128. Tho this Expedia rate is the "no breakfast, no parking" rate.

I concur, that I've seen good reviews for this hotel - it is my leading contender if I can't get a satisfactory rate / property via Hotwire or Priceline.

I'm looking for something near or on beach, nicer property (I'll be 7 months pregnant, so want something fairly nice.) Just trying to get the best deal I can for around a 4* property. It seems that once you drop to 3* properties, the properties / reviews really range more widely.

I get to do a Priceline bid again in another day, so I'm giving it a few more tries before I give up and just book something.

Thanks!!

Beth

When I looked at it the other week, I thought Aston had better "half off" Entertainment Card rates in Waikiki than Outrigger.

I still think that priceline's 3 star category (under $70) is the best Waikiki value at the moment, though -- unless you really value certainty or need larger quarters than a regular room. The priceline 4 star hotels on Waikiki are going for over $100 these days, and there isn't always a big difference between the two.

Now if you really want a luxe property, bid on "resorts" or at least 4-stars on the neighboring islands. I think that's where the difference in cost is probably worth it.

Yup Lonestar, I agree with priceline 3* being a great deal, we got Waikiki Beachcomber for $70 this March, about 40-50 off lowest price. So far have gotten Sheraton Waikiki & Park Shore (yuck!...has since been downgraded AGAIN to a 2.5*) Don't think Aston has beachfront, where as Outrigger does, and if that's a must, I would think thats the only time booking the old fashioned way might be desired. The Waikiki south 3* zones just about all seem to be across the street from the beach, which is great location for the price.

This board is great and really helpful...plus more friendly than other out there...thanks guys!

Aston does have 3 beachside hotels in Waikiki available at half off with the Entertainment Card. Not sure how good they are -- it's very tough to get an accurate read on the quality of Waikiki hotels. The reviews tend to be all over the map. I think it's because "expectations" are all over the map. Some people know they are going to a crowded area with older hotels, and others don't.

I know we're crossing the lines between Priceline and Hotwire, but I appreciate the help!

- Are we sure that the "travel club" rate for the Outrigger is Entertainment Book and not something like AAA?

- I saw that the Hawaii Prince (one of the few 4* Priceline properties, it seems) is sold out for Saturday, so that doesn't bode well for a good rate for a 4*, on either Hotwire or Priceline, I'd think.

- I could 3*and hope for the Radisson Kuhio and to avoid the Sheraton and Royal Garden, as it seems that the latter two have had not as nice of a review (or they have to hassle their way into better rooms upon arrival.)

Again, thanks for all of the help. I'll continue to monitor both Priceline and Hotwire and this board, THE best and friendliest bidding advice board!

Prince Kuhio has been coming up a lot in the 3 star Waikiki zone lately, and if you bid NOW (before other hotels load new competitive rates), I'd say your chances of getting it are pretty high. Just check rates with priceline packages first (put in a dummy airport departure city like KOA) for your dates, and make sure there are no cheaper 3 stars in that zone. No guarantees, but the odds would be with you! It does seem to be a cut above many 3-star properties there.

FWIW, I'd start with a priceline bid of $58 and go up to $68. Two free bids available -- HNL airport and Ihilani (no 3 star hotels there that I'm aware of).

Good luck with your vacation.

I just looked at those March dates you listed above (I'm trying to educate myself on using priceline packages to determine best bidding strategies). It looks to me like a very busy time on Waikiki. Prince Kuhio doesn't seem to have rooms. Some mediocre Ohana properties are listed in what I think would be Waikiki North. You could also snag the 4-star Marriott but it would be pretty expensive. Check it out under "packages" and see if you're still interested.

Hmmm, looking through "packages" seems to be a great way to check availability during that time. Great idea!

So I guess if it shows up here, the chances are good that I'd only get one of the hotels listed in the package, eh?

Indeed, Kuhio isn't listed under the packages, just:

- Ohana Islander - Pretty good reviews

- Ohana Reef Lanai - Middling reviews

- Outrigger Reef on the Beach - Good reviews

So I dunno. I may try Priceline ONE more time and go up to $130-135 or so for the 4*. Otherwise, I'll may with my fallback, which is the Parc, listing at $126 via Orbitz. Or be brave and try the 3* and probably hit one of these three.

Thanks!

So I dunno.  I may try Priceline ONE more time and go up to $130-135 or so for the 4*.  Otherwise, I'll may with my fallback, which is the Parc, listing at $126 via Orbitz.  Or be brave and try the 3* and probably hit one of these three.

I believe you can get the Marriott for $125, perhaps as high as $129. If you want it, start at something like $110 and see what happens with the free rebids. It's a shame, because it went for the low $90s last year (business must be better in Hawaii now!).

If you bid for the 3 stars, figure out which one is the cheapest in the zones you bid for, because I think that's the one you're going to get (if it doesn't work out that way, let us know for future edification).

To get an idea what it "would take" for a 3 star on those nights, pick some other less popular dates, and see what hotels come up (like the Prince Kuhio) in a "packages" search. Then look at what people have reported getting those hotels for here on a hotel-only basis. You can then compare the total package price for the "dummy days" to the total package price on your actual days to see approximately how much they want for only the hotel portion.

Good luck!

BethKel, yes, when I have booked previously the travel club rates on the site were the same as what they told me for the Entertainment Book rates over the phone, but to be sure, I booked over the phone.

I'm not trying to take away from priceline, it's just that if you aren't prepared to get something you may not like...then your stuck. All of March seems to be a busy time, I had the same problem trying to get the Prince Kuhio, I got Beachcomber instead. Reviews aren't as good as Kuhio, but then again, I'm just looking for a place to crash for the night. I also had a doozy of a time finding a decent deal for a week car rental, I had to give up on priceline for that too. It basically comes down to whether you want to insure you'll get a specific hotel, or take a chance. Either way, you'll probably get a nice lil room wherever you book, I remember when I was pregnant, everywhere I went people were extra nice to me...maybe the staff will give you a free upgrade :)

Oh..I'm sorry, after reading my message I see it wasn't too clear. Last August we won a 3* priceline bid for Waikiki Park Shore (definitely didn't fit 3* level). Since the fall it appears to have been downgraded to a 2.5 star. It is in the Waikiki South zone.

Last May, we got Sheraton Waikiki (North Zone) for 1 night, but that was rated *Resort* since it is beachfront. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, still trying for that 4* and my 72 hours were up, so this morning I tried:

Did South 4*, $120, rejected

Added North, $126, rejected

Added Ilihana, $130, rejected

Still unsure about next steps. Wait three days and try again? Any OTHER time, I'd just go with whatever 3* that I could get, but being preggers and picky, I may just go with the Parc. Just a short waddle to the beach from the hotel.

Well, I'm "intrigued" by your lousy, stinkin' luck! :) I looked again at priceline packages, and the Marriott is still there. I priced it with a flight from KOA and, minus the regular airfare, came up with a room rate of $152. Since you'd think priceline wouldn't want to sell you a package at the LOWEST possible price (heck, they hope you bid a little extra), you'd think that would be consistent with the $125-$129 rate folks are generally getting.

I did pick some other dates at random, however, and on those days the Marriott package was $19 less. So it's conceivable Marriott wants a few more dollars for your specific days. If you WANT the Marriott over the Parc, I would wait your 3 days and START your bidding at $129 and gradually go up the $19 extra (if you're close, you're likely to get a counteroffer from priceline).

You could also get an Entertainment Book, and save 30 bucks off your stay at the Parc (you could even be cute and book each night individually, and try to get $30 off each night (see the Hotwire thread for details).

There is also a priceline 3 star also available on your days, the Aston Waikiki Beach, but it doesn't look that cheap and the hotel gets decidedly mediocre reviews. You could also look through the Aston website and see if there's any other property that suits your fancy. You should be able to get 50% off any of the posted rates with Entertainment, and I think the deals are fair considering priceline will apparently not be delivering you a supercheap hotel on your desired days.

Lonestar, you rock! Thanks for the very very helpful advice.

I know, what's the deal with that weekend - other weekends I check have more availability (the Kuhio is available, costs are lower at most properties, etc.)

Yeah, the Aston Waikiki Beach scares me a bit. I don't mind when reviews say small rooms (I've stayed a lot in Manhattan, etc.) but when they border on "dingy" and not always clean, I draw the line.

I'm going to check into the Entertainment Book - how do you know that I'd be able to get $30 off the Parc with that?

Thanks!

If you read that thread linked above, you'll see a pretty detailed discussion of the Entertainment $30 off hotwire coupon. With the download off the hotwire website (see address in the first message) you can print multiple $30 coupons and, it would appear, take $30 off each stay over $90 (and obviously each night at the Parc is over $90). Remember, too, that you have to use the special hotwire/entertainment page to qualify.

If you're going to be in Hawaii for a week or so, you might want to consider buying a copy of the Hawaii Entertainment Book to get your coupon (I think I've seen on flyertalk.com and other sites some recent promos -- a book with probably cost you about $30). In a week's vacation time, especially on Oahu, you're bound to use at least 3 or 4 restaurant/attractions coupons, usually buy one get one free.

One thing to remember about hotwire bidding is the price they quote you seems to randomly vary by a few dollars. If you don't like the price one day, bid the next day (or maybe next hour) for a slightly different price.

Had two 3* hotels "in reserve" but was getting nervous as things seemed to continue to fill up for that weekend. But wanted a 4*

Had bid up to $132 in previous requests and finally nailed the Waikiki Marriott for $138. Room rates start at $209 on their site and most others.

This $138 rate is much higher than this hotel has gone for in the past on PL, but after MANY bid cycles, seemed to be what it took to get a 4* without paying full rates. And I'm not willing to wait much longer to see if things go down any more.

Has anyone else gotten this hotel? I do have a Marriott Rewards card, tho it hasn't been used in a couple of years. Wondering if I can score an upgrade with that (and/or hope they have a tender heart toward the 7-mo. pregnant gal.)

Thanks to this board and especially Lonestar for their assistance and encouragement!

I'm glad you finally got what you wanted, and that "what we expected" came up on priceline.

I'd ask thereuare to combine this post with your earlier thread so that newbies can see a "start to finish" demonstration of how to utilize the priceline and hotwire tools in Hawaii. Not only did you get a good deal, but we were also able (with a high degree of confidence) to figure out what you were bidding for. I think that's important in Hawaii, because when you're spending a lot of money on a vacation, you'd rather not be surprised.

Congratulations on your win... nice to see you finally have success!

To confirm, this is the Marriott Beach in the Honolulu (Waikiki South) zone? Had you bid lower than $138 during this bidding cycle (it seems as if the $132 you mentioned was on a prior day's bidding attempt)

Have a great time in Hawaii and thank you for keeping your post updated with your progress along way... it really does help future new users when they can see each step of the process from start to finish! (also goes to show new users that sometimes it takes a bit more effort than at other times)

I'll also give a thank you to LoneStar for being proactive and helping out the board's users looking to stay in Hawaii.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, this is the Marriott Waikiki in the South Zone.

My full bidding strategy today was:

$118 4* South Zone (rejected)

$128 4* Added North (rejected)

$138 4* Added Ilihana (accepted for the Marriott Waikiki).

My $132 bid was from a cycle three days ago. Perhaps I should have started at $128 and "inched" my way up, but I knew that this was my last bid cycle before I just bought off of Expedia or wherever, for a KNOWN 3*.

As I've mentioned, I wasn't totally comfortable with the 3* that I figured out that would likely be offered via Priceline. I used Lonestar's advice of looking up available properties through Priceline's "Packages" search, just using a "dummy" airport.

Thanks to all - off to Hawaii in about a month!

Beth

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]