Priceline Hotel: Need Help bidding 4* on San Fran (SOMA)

lpennington
By lpennington,
in

Just tried bidding $75 for 1 room in a 4* hotel in SOMA during the May 14 - May 20 timeframe using the PRICELINE link. Presently, I have a cancellable reservation through the convention organization that I may cancel thru April 6 without any headache (St. Regis at $299/nt).

My wife is in town for a convention at the Moscone center, and will need to be within 6-7 blocks max walking distance. My budget is anywhere up to $150/nt ... anything more than that and I'd just stick with our current reservation since I've never stayed there). Thanks for any help you can provide.

HOTWIRE has a 4.5* in USE that looks like the Intercontinental, right next to Moscone.

Fitness

Restaurant

Highspeed Internet

It's $179, which is more than your $150 limit, but still quite a bit less than your $299 reservation at the St Regis.

Or would you rather bid higher than $75 for a SOMA-Moscone 4* on Priceline? Maybe you can win something in between $75 and $179.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases.

I'll definitely put that offer in the bank as a safety. My search of recent successful bids showed that $80-90 seemed to be the sweetspot for 4* SOMA hotels with the resulting hotels being the Palomar or Palace, both rated fairly well. So I think I'll get something 4* when I go up with my bids but I wanted a consult here 1st. I tried to search for the rebid zones for this area but could only come up with strategies for USW USE or Fisherman's Wharf.

Any 4* hotel you win in SOMA-Moscone zone will be walking distance to Moscone.

If it takes more than $90 it's probably because your stay is six nights. Most of the $80-90 wins you see are for shorter stays than that, and longer stays sometimes require a premium. (But sometimes they don't.)

If you'd like help with a 4* bidding strategy please let us know how high you're willing to bid. Is $100 good?

When bidding for a 4* in SF you have FIVE rebid zones. Those are zones that only have hotels less than 4* quality. If you need help determining your rebid zones please ask before you bid. You can post the zone names here if you want confirmation.

You've already tried $75. If you don't want to wait 24 hours to bid again select SOMA plus any one of your five rebid zones and bid $80.

Then add the four other rebid zones, one at a time, raising your bid $5 with each, up to $100.

Please use this PRICELINE link and good luck!

As per above, at the 4* level in San Francisco you have FIVE re-bid zones. Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Once you've determined your re-bid zones (or confirmed them with the board) i'd bid as follows:

Select 4* SOMA...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* SOMA and re-bid zone4...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* SOMA and re-bid zone5...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* SOMA and re-bid zoen4 and re-bid zone5...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask. (especially regarding re-bidding and re-bid zone1, re-bid zone2, etc, etc)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I returned to PRICELINE using the forum's link, and tried to the progression using the five rebid zones (thx for the help there), but unfortunately couldn't get anything for $150. I'm guessing it's probably the 6 nights or a heavy conference week?

I've read posts where people inquired about splitting their nights and going for 2 successful bids but I'd hate to risk having to switch hotels. Is that my only option at this point?

Your options come down to:

-SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID (although if you'd prefer not to stay in two different hotels, i think it's a bit early before your stay to consider this option)

-wait it out and try again every 3-4 days and hope lower priced inventory becomes avaialble

-add other zones

-lower your star rating

-raise your maximum bid price

I haven't checked to see if the $179 HOTWIRE offer is still available, but if it is, i can't imagine you're too far away with your $150 bid, perhaps another $10-15 may do it?

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases and searches.

Let us know your current thoughts and how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 10 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]