NY NYC Stanhope Hyatt (upper East side)

Skipper2108
By Skipper2108,
in

Worth the extra price compaired to other 4* to 4.5* It is located across the street from the MET. central park is a block away. The area is not as noisy as times square.

The staff is great. The hotel is pure luxury. The food is pricey. $17 for a hamburger.

The rooms are of nice size and 5 blocks away is my favorite coffee house called "LE PAIN"

I can not say enough about the hotel

Hotwire charged me $175 and I saw that others were getting a priceline rate of $125. When I tried priceline at $170 I was declined. So I wanted the Hyatt and went with hotwire

• 8 months later...

We (my five year old and I) just got back from our two night stay at the Stanhope Park Hyatt (priceline for $120) and it was great!! The hotel is so nice with a very friendly staff and I loved that it's small and quaint). I requested a room with two double beds, but we checked in at noon so there was only a king room ready, which was fine since my son usually crawls into my bed in the middle of the night anyway.

The room was spotless and large and everything looked fresh. The bathroom had clouds painted on the ceiling which I thought was neat. The toiletries were nice (bath gel, lotion, shampoo and conditioner) and there was also a hair dryer in there. There was a fully stocked mini bar, but a little pricey, so that was hands off. There is a large walk in closet with an iron and lots of room for hanging clothes up. They came for turn down service each night we were there, but by the time they came, we had already taken all the pillows off the bed and there really wasn't a need for it. Nice service though!

The only problem was there isn't a lot of "family friendly" places to eat in that area. We did find a diner that was nearby (cannot remember what street), called the Lenox Hill Diner. It was okay for a quick meal and there was an ice cream shop a few doors down from there.

The location is great and so quiet! No horns beeping or sirens going off while we were trying to sleep (unlike in Times Sq.) We were just a short walk away from the Museum of Natural History (right across Central Park). I just wish the weather had been a little warmer so we could enjoy the park more. I will definately try to get this hotel again on priceline for future stays!!

• 1 month later...

Stayed at the Stanhope 9/21-9/23/03; bid 145.00.

Checked in early (shortly after noon) and received room 1010, which has been reviewed elsewhere before. Little has changed. Large room by NYC standards. Large walk-in closet and moderately large bath with tub/shower combo. Clean and crisp bed sheets with down duvet. Good channel selection on TV with one movie channel plus PPV (11.95). Noted no renovations or construction occuring during our stay. There was activity at some nearby buildings but it was not obtrusive.

Did not use room service or hotel restaurants; too expensive for our taste. Ate at local coffee shop a couple blocks away and at a local Italian restaurant. Stored some small drinks in mini bar; not much room for more.

Staff friendly, competent and unobtrusive; concierge helpful. Room stewardess was friendly and helpful and gave us a peek at a couple of the large suites facing the Met on the day we left. Very impressive.

Used the Brooklyn express (#5 train IIRC) to get downtown and rode the #6 local back uptown to 77th (the Hotel is on the corner of 81st and 5th Ave.) About a 6 block walk (15 minutes or so) to/from the subway. 10.00 (plus 2.00 bonus) Metrocard took care of our rides for the days we were there. Easy purchase via credit card at automated kiosk in subway entrance. Subways very easy to use and very intuitive. We went all over the place, transferring thru Grand Central. Never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a train.

This is a very rich part of NYC; the hotel may be gotten reasonably on Priceline but everything else is pretty expensive. The Met Museum of Art is across the street; plan a whole day for that if interested. It took us over an hour just to go through the gift shop (we didn't have enough time to see the museum).

Overall, a good stay. I think if we go to NYC for an extended period, we'll likely look at more modest hotels in the UWS. We saw many in our wanderings.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]