Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Francisco (Embarcadaro 29/11/10 - 03/12/10) $119

sruffs
By sruffs,
in

Hi, can you please help me figure out what hotel this is?

The amenities are as follows:

Boutique

Oceanfront

Smoke free room

Fitness centre

Restaurant(s)

Business centre

High speed internet

Golf nearby

Spa services

Its also showing a tripadvisor rating of 4.5 out of 5.

This is my first post so I hope I've given all the necessary information.

Many Thanks

My best guess: this is the Harbor Court, upgraded from 3.5* to 4*, displaying a new set of icons.

I don't think I've seen the Oceanfront icon at a San Francisco hotel before.

If you want more certainty before committing to four nights you could purchase just one night first, then separately the other three nights, if you're happy with the initial result.

Please use this HOTWIRE link if you purchase and let us know if this is Harbor Court or not.

I tend to agree with Colfax's guess of the Harbor Court. The hotel fronts San Francisco Bay along the Embarcadero. As to Hotwire's rate of $119 per night for your dates, if you go to the hotel's website they are selling for $97 (3 night minimum stay required). If you're a bit of a gambler, and this is indeed the Harbor Court, you could purchase from HOTWIRE and then file for their double-the-difference price guarantee. If approved, Hotwire would refund you $44 per night based on the hotel's lower rate of $97 per night.

As a side note, I think some of the icons are a bit of a stretch on HOTWIRE's part. Hotwire's own description of a restaurant is one that is "on premises". On the hotel's website, it says there's a restaurant adjacent to the hotel which has a different address than the hotel itself. As to the fitness icon, the hotel website indicates discount rates at the nearby YMCA. With regard to the golf icon, I'm not aware of one in the immediate area. However HOTWIRE plays it cool with the golf description not to define distances from the hotel. But despite these oddities, I would still guess it's the Harbor Court. And the 4.5 Tripadvisor rating is a match, too.

You may have something there, Steve. The Vitale never entered my mind (obviously). Not only is it a Tripadvisor match, but also the restaurant and fitness center are both on site as opposed to "neighboring" with regard to the Harbor Court. If this is the Vitale, IMO $119 is a good rate considering the fact this is one of the more pricey hotels in the Embarcadero zone.

I think you're probably right, slruud. Vitale seems more likely than Harbor Court upgraded to 4*.

I tried some random dates on Hotwire to see if I could make Harbor Court appear as a 3.5* with its known icons. If I find Harbor Court as 3.5* for any dates that means the 4* is something else. But no matter what dates I check the Embarcadero 3.5* that comes up is Club Quarters, not Harbor Court.

Still I think Vitale is most likely. You've convinced me.

As a side note, I think some of the icons are a bit of a stretch on HOTWIRE's part. Hotwire's own description of a restaurant is one that is "on premises". On the hotel's website, it says there's a restaurant adjacent to the hotel which has a different address than the hotel itself.
Sometime Hotwire plays loosey goosey with that Restaurant icon.

A couple weeks ago another poster reported buying a Hotwire hotel in Sacramento with a Restaurant icon, among others. It turned out to be a Motel 6. (The only time I've seen Motel 6 come up on Hotwire, btw.)

Motel 6 doesn't have a restaurant and the poster called Hotwire to complain. Hotwire told him the Applebee's next door was the restaurant. To me next door is not "on the premises", unless the resaturant and hotel are under common management.

"Oceanfront" is another Hotwire icon you have to watch out for. It's often attached to hotels that aren't oceanfront. Here's Hotwire's definition of "Oceanfront":

Property is located along the ocean, but not directly on a beach. For example, the hotel may be situated on a bluff along the coastline.

You could argue that Vitale (and Harbor Court) aren't on the ocean at all, but rather on the bay, and even then they're across a busy street from the bay.

But after all the caveats $119 still seems like a good price for Vitale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used Hotwire to try to find a room for memorial day weekend. I was surprised to find a 4* hotel that wasn't listed in the Hotel list posted at this site. I finally stumbled upon this thread and knew it was a toss up between Harbor Court and Hotel Vitale. I rolled the dice for $129.

Just for future reference, in case you want to update your listing, it ended up being the Hotel Vitale.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]