Priceline Hotel: Resort Palm Springs (Rancho Mirage-Indian Wells-Palm Desert) Westin

tivoboy
By tivoboy,
in

So, I'm looking for a stay in Palm Springs, hopefully, something in the Rancho Mirage area. There are 4* and Resort listings. What is the best practice to start bidding, should one start with 4* then maybe ADD resort, or start with RESORT and then ADD 4* to increase bids?

I could add Indio, but they only have 3* hotels, I'd rather not take the chance and drop too low down, but could add them after a few days of failed 4*, Resort and 3.5* attempts.

Also, have two people staying, so we can both bid.

Thanks for the insightful strategic recommendations

tb

Is Rancho Mirage the only zone you're willing to bid, or is this just your preference and would also accept the other zones in Palm Springs? I assume a Resort class hotel is fine too?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

rancho mirage is just a preference, only because it is closer to our destination but another resort, 4* or maybe 3.5* location in palm springs, rancho mirage or indio is probably fine. It is JUST lodging at this moment, not really a vacation - although, nobody likes to be in a loud place with poor living conditions even for just two nights.

With a little bit of time on your side, this is how i would begin...

At the Resort level you have TWO re-bid zones, at the 4* level you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select Resort Rancho Mirage...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Rancho Mirage...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Palm Springs...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Rancho Mirage and Palm Springs...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75.

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try:

Select Resort Rancho Mirage...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Rancho Mirage...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Palm Springs...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Rancho Mirage and Palm Springs...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95

If the above is rejected (which may be likely) we'll update if you want to try bidding $100+ and/or lowering your star rating to 3.5*.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Resort rates are very high for your dates (Marriott Desert Springs $379, Shadow Ridge $349) and several resorts are sold out. There must be a big event that weekend.

HOTWIRE has a 4* in Rancho Mirage-Palm Desert for $279 or a 4* condo in RM-PD for $382.

I think you'll need to raise your limit for a RM-PD-IW resort, possibly by quite a bit (like up to $150), or if you want to stay under $100 consider some other alternatives, like a 3* in RM-PM-IW or 4* or 3.5* in Palm Springs.

p.s. Were you rejected to $90 for 4* in Palm Springs too? Or just in RM-PD-IW zone?

I was rejected up to 105$ I think, maybe even 110$ for RM, Palm Springs and IW. Tomorrow, I think I'll try 115$ for resort then go for 4*, then maybe move down to 3*, but there are so many 3.5* one doesn't really know what they are going to get.

Yes, as I posted somewhere else, this is the first weekend of the bnp paribas tennis tourney, but it IS two weeks worth. Not sure why/how so many rooms would be taken.

Well shot down now two days in a row, 120-130 for resort still not working those dates. I THINK it is the Saturday night that is getting me into trouble.

I MIGHT try 4*, and 3.5* lodging, but the uncertainty is killing me with so many hotels.

I found a nice rate at the Doral (which doesn't get TOO favorable reviews, but it seems clean and easy) and the rate is about 100$ a night pre-pay, so I might just do that for this round. We have some really nice places to stay in Santa Monica and Ojai, so maybe these nights will just be "just for sleep" places.

I THINK it is the Saturday night that is getting me into trouble.
Have you thought about SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?
I found a nice rate at the Doral
If SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, what is the rate here for just the solo Saturday nite?

Splitting your bid means you move. That's the whole point of splitting---you switch hotels once in order to get a lower overall price. One hotel might have a good price on Friday night; a different hotel has a good price on Saturday night; but no hotel has a good price for both nights. In order to get the best total price you have to spend one night at each hotel....and move.

The Doral is a 3* in PRICELINE's Palm Springs zone.

You said you prefer Rancho Mirage-Palm Desert-Indian Wells zone over Palm Springs zone. So why not bid on PRICELINE for a 3* in your preferred zone, RM-PD-IW, before paying rack rate for a 3* in a less preferred zone? I don't think you've done any 3.5* or 3* bidding in your preferred zone yet.

Also if a 3* in Palm Springs zone is now acceptable to you then why not try bidding for that on PRICELINE? If you can book the Doral direct for $109 you might be able to get it or another PRICELINE 3* for much less than $109.

Well, finally SUCCESS!

But, I probably just committed the first major cardinal priceline bidding foul.

As I went back to bid today, after not having done the process for the past two days, I started at a fairly HIGH number. I had tried bidding for RESORTS in Rancho Mirage before, at 100-125, even bidding up to 135$ once time, with NO SUCCESS.

I had tried bidding on 4* at up to I THINK the 125$ level. I expanded the areas, and then included 3.5*, but I don't think I bid more than say 110$ for the 3.5* hotels.

Today, I was armed to go DOWN to the 3* properties, since my fall back at the questionable Doral had since the past two days moved UP to 137$ minimum on a pre-pay.

So, today, I started to bid on Resort (actually, I had listed 4* and then RESORT but of course realized I could always start at RESORT and then ADD 4* and get at least TWO bids out of it.

But, today I started out at 125$ for the RESORT category, thinking what appears to be naiivly that I should start NEAR my highs before. Well, boom at 125$ it was accepted for the WESTIN MISSION HILLS RESORT in Rancho Mirage.

Goes to show, ALWAYS start low! I probably could have gotten it lower, but I'm okay with it. right where we want to be, nice RESORT level place and the wife was getting NERVY not having it all sorted what with a nearly a week away.

Thanks BB. Do I post this info somewhere else?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this stay. I'll post some details in the Review thread.

After winning this bid, with the 125$ price level, I called the hotel and said, I needed a king bed, non-smoking. Not sure what hotels vs. priceline policy is, but a queen just doesn't cut it for a 6'6" body. I talked to a check-in rep, got their NAME, wrote it DOWN and they confirmed, "no problem"

Well, upon arrival we were told they were full and we had a room with two queen beds in it. I said, sorry, this wasn't acceptable for me. I had talked with "xyz" and they told me specifically it wouldn't not be a problem. I think it HELPED that indeed it was "XYZ" checking me in, I had their somewhat unique name in my iphone calendar with the date I had called - what can one say.

So, a King room appeared on a ground floor though, but nonetheless we got the room and everything worked out. Nice place, I would certainly stay there again for same or less money.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]