Priceline Hotel: 5* Venetian 7/2-7/6 Las Vegas strip

hugpooh
By hugpooh,
in

Hi all,

Finally able to confirm dates for our Las Vegas trip.

Set for 7/2-7/6/03. Would love to stay at Venetian but I know it may be hard to get.

I have been checking on Venetian web site and they have all 4 nights for $199/night.

Since it is 7/4 weekend, is it still possible to get a good rate? Should I split the stay and try to bid separately?

Our budget is no more than $100/night.

Also checked hotwire many times and looks like they are offering $176/night at this point which is way too high for us.

We have Golden Nugget as back up. One room is $59/night and the other is $79/night($20 extra for a 10 months old baby. Can't believe it!! :) )

Please advise. Thank you.

I don't usually recommend splitting a bid, but in this case i will since:

-rates are generally MUCH higher on weekends than mid-week in the Las Vegas market

-the Venetian is the only 5* hotel we've seen awarded in this area (and besides Four Seasons and Bellagio, neither of which i've ever seen awarded, i don't know if anything else would qualify as a 5*)

I'm assuming your $100 budget is NOT included taxes and fees, but if i'm wrong, just let me know and i'll change the numbers. I'm also assuming that you would rather stay at the Venetian for 2 days and then have to move to a different hotel than not stay there at all.

This is how i would proceed:

(just to be safe, since you have a lot of re-bid zones, i wouldn't use any areas that offer resorts as a re-bid zone.... who know what Priceline is up to these days with their changes)

Bid the entire stay:

$80 bid, if rejected add re-bid zone

$85 bid, if rejected add re-bid zone

$89 bid, if rejected add re-bid zone

$92 bid, if rejected add re-bid zone

$96 bid, if rejected add re-bid zone

$100 bid

If rejected, repeat the above procedure, using 7/2 - 7/4 (Wed-Fri), IF YOU ARE WILLING to switch hotels during your stay. If you get accepted on the 7/2-7/4 part of the trip, report back and we'll update for the second half and discuss options.

I'll warn you ahead of time that the above will take a little time to go thru the whole process (and you may still come up empty), so don't get discouraged as you've been warned ahead of time :) If you dont' think you have the patience you can skip some of the re-bids, but make sure you include the $89 price point somewhere in the process (as opposed to $88) since there is a reported win at the $89 level.

Any questions feel free to ask.

As a side note, if this is your first time in Vegas, i would advise AGAINST staying downtown for 4 nites! Although the Golden Nugget is the nicest hotel downtown, the main part of the strip is really where you want to be. If the above doesn't work out for you, i would still consider splitting my stay... 2 nites on the stip (Wed-Fri) and 2 nites downtown (Fri-Sun). I took a look and QuickBook has Bally's for the beginning of your stay for $59/nite (rate jumps to $132 for Fri and Sat), and i would sooner stay there than Golden Nugget. NOTE: Quickbook does charge a cancellation fee if you decide to cancel, although i think it's fairly reasonable, but find out for yourself before you book if you decide to go that route.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Also just checked Harrah's which is offering $55/nite for Wed + Thur nites thru the "hot Deals" section of their website (and includes some other perks, and i believe is completely cancellable).

Bally's is a little nicer, but Harrah's is <i think> 100% cancellable, so at least that gives you options.

MORE FOLLOW-UP:

I researched this a little further and found some typical hotel craziness.

Put in all the dates at the V's website and get $199/nite for all nites.

Enter just the first 2 nites: $189/nite Enter just the last 2 nites: $269/nite (or $229 average per nite)

Split the bids at Hotwire and the 5* hotel for the first 2 nites shows $142/nite, last 2 nites $211/nite, and all 4 nites $176/nite.

The first example just shows how eccentric hotel pricing can be.

However, the second example, if you look closely, actually shows that Hotwire is averaging out the stay and giving the average nitely rate:

First 2 nites (142 + 142) and last 2 nites (211 + 211) = 706

706 / 4 = $176

This is actually quite different than Priceline, where your winning bid must be equal to or higher than the rate for each nite.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oh my God! You are the expert at this :)

First let me answer your questions:

Yes, the $100 budget does not include taxes and fees. I am ok with staying at venetian first 2d then go somewhere else. It is just a bit hassle to have to pack everything for check in & out since we will have lots of baby stuff and gear.

I will try to bid the first 2d and let you know the result. I still would love to stay at venetian the whole time and am willing to pay more but don't know what price is realistic.

This is the fifth time I am to Vegas so I don't mnd staying at downtown but I do agree that it is more fun to stay on the strip!! :o

I will look into Bally's as an option.

The hotel prices ARE crazy :)

No apologies needed, i thought you may have misread, that's why i clarified.

I think the Friday and Saturday are going to be extremely difficult, but there's no harm in trying.

As well, bidding for the 4 days does NOT affect your bidding for the other 2 days (you won't need to wait 72 hours to bid the 2 days if the 4 days is rejected). They're viewed as completely different bids since they're for different check-in/check-out dates.

They only get more inventory if people cancel or don't book rooms :)

The V does offer their best prices (generally $79) only about 1 week before check-in, but i would sooner continue to try now since you're not willing to go too much about that anyway. What if $90 would be accepted now, but they begin to sell more rooms in the next few weeks and then don't offer any inventory in the last week?

It's up to you, but if i were in your shoes i would rather secure a room now and <potentially> pay $10-20 more dollars than if I had waited, and know that it is "done". Only having one week to bid, when prices are known to be the best, is just too close for comfort for me.

Maybe you feel differently (which is fine), but those are my thoughts.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]