Near Beach

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

There has been some confusion lately on here if we are getting the Ocean Front property or the one near the Golf Course(Country Club).

I called Westin and they have our reservation for the Ocean Front Property. I then called back later and found out the merger between the 2 hotels happened about 3 weeks ago(February 1, 2010. If you go to the Westin Site you will see they show some rooms available at both places, they list them as Ocean Front rooms and then they say some are located at the Golf Course, 1 and half miles from the beach front location.

We also recieved the same letter from Hotwire saying they are taking off the Near Beach for this hotel and giving options of canceling or paying half of what we paid to keep the booking.

Not exactly sure what we should do, but I'm leaning toward keeping the booking for half the price we paid. We are arriving early into to Ft. Lauderdale and will try to check-in before Noon and see what happens. Hopefully they will keep us at the Oceanfront property since our date still shows plenty of availability.

If they try to move us to the County Club location we will be on the phone with Hotwire for sure asking them to straighten it out.

Unlike others on here what might be in OUR favor is that I booked this hotwire reservation on Januaury 21st BEFORE the Merger and have called the hotel and we are confirmed at the Ocean front property.

Since we seem to be the first ones on here going to that hotel, I will report back and tell you had we made out.

Anyone have any opinions as to what I should do differently?

Also booked this hotel are due to arrive 17th April - 19th April. Received an e-mail from hotwire yesterday, did not agree to accept anything replied back that I had a reservation at Hollywood Western Diplomat hotel. Received a reply to the effect that I had accepted a 50% reduction on hotel and keep original booking, following this telephoned Westin Diplomat who acknowledged a reservation in my name was for Westin Diplomat ocean side........ Confirmation enough for me! Wait and see what happens on 17th.

Also booked this hotel are due to arrive 17th April - 19th April. Received an e-mail from hotwire yesterday, did not agree to accept anything replied back that I had a reservation at Hollywood Western Diplomat hotel. Received a reply to the effect that I had accepted a 50% reduction on hotel and keep original booking, following this telephoned Westin Diplomat who acknowledged a reservation in my name was for Westin Diplomat ocean side........ Confirmation enough for me! Wait and see what happens on 17th.

How were you refunded the 50 percent? Hotwire Credit for a future booking or Credit on your credit card?

How were you refunded the 50 percent? Hotwire Credit for a future booking or Credit on your credit card?

HotDollars :)

"It is our pleasure to credit you with $xxx.xx Hotwire HotDollars. As good as cash, HotDollars can be used for any hotel, flight, or Hotwire hot Rate rental car booking on Hotwire. Each HotDollar is equivalent to one U.S. dollar and is available for one year from the date of issuance. For more information about HotDollars, please see our terms of use."

in short: Hotwire Credit

Just recieved a reply email from Hotwire:

It is our pleasure to credit you with $69.71 Hotwire HotDollars. As good as cash, HotDollars can be used for any hotel, flight, or Hotwire hot Rate rental car booking on Hotwire. Each HotDollar is equivalent to one U.S. dollar and is available for one year from the date of issuance.

I guess we are good to go, I will call Westin in a few days to reconfirm reservation is still at the 3555 South Ocean Drive location.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the merger with the Westin Country Club.

Just checked in , gave them my last name and neither I or them mentioned that I was booked through Hotwire.

Beautiful hotel, can't beat the $69.00 price.

I didn't ask fro a upgrade, balcony(resort view) or Balcony ( oceanview).. Thought it would be waste since the weather down here is kind of breezy and chilly at the moment. anyway and we wouldn't be using the balcony anyway.

We did get a room though with both a view of the ocean and the intercoastal in the North building on the 25th floor.

Hope others on here who booked through Hotwire do as well as us.

I just starting looking today in Ft. Lauderdale so I'm new to this thread about the Westin Diplomat.

Looks like an awesome hotel! Two questions for those who returned:

1) Did they charge you a resort fee? What about parking?

Resort Charge Policy

If applicable to your group/convention rate, there is a $16 per night resort fee which includes daily use of fitness center, shuttle between country club and The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida, beach shuttle, local calls, 800 number access fee (first 60 minutes), domestic long distance call (first 60 minutes), High Speed Internet Access, in room coffee & daily newspaper

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/prope...propertyID=1402

2) I thought I read that hotwire took down the "Near Beach" icon. When I check today for a three night stay from 4/5 - 4/8, there is a 4* for $94 for Hollywood Beach area hotel with all the same amenities as before:

Resort

Near Beach

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

High-speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Like I said, I'm new to the thread and I didn't finish my research, but if you know offhand, that would be helpful! The kids would love that place, and it's better than $100 bucks that the fleabag hotels are getting.

Alright, I read through thousands (well, maybe 25) threads, and I see the pattern for Hollywood Beach, FL:

Near Beach = Crown Plaza

No Near Beach = Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa 3555 South Ocean Drive Hollywood, (on Beach)

OR

No Near Beach = Westin Diplomat Golf & Spa 501 Diplomat Pkwy Hallandale Beach (1.5 miles from beach, free shuttle)

Looks like the properties merged and it seems you could be placed at either one, although if you booked in February, Hotwire had the near beach amenity listed, so you could complain and get the beach property, or 50% credit in future Hotwire vouchers (some lucky ones got both).

Another sign for Westin versus Crown Plaza:

After opening the details, above the map, I see "Traveler Rating provided by Tripadvisor." Seems that:

3.5 out of 5 = Crown Plaza

4 out of 5 = Westin

Some report seeing a different metric:

Recommended by 80% = Crown Plaza

Recommened by 95% = Westin

The Crown Plaza is not a good deal for my dates 4/5 - 4/7 because Hotwire wants $99 + $15 = $115, and the advance purchase rate at the hotel website is $139 anyway(with Priority Club points and everything else that comes with not booking through opaque sites).

Good thing I don't have a job so I could take the time to do this.

I'm still wondering about if they charged resort fees? Anyone?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]