CA San Francisco Grand Hyatt

liveforbargains
By liveforbargains,
in

I stayed here for one night and was very satisfied with my stay. They let me check in early and I presented my Hyatt Gold Passport and was given a corner room on the 21st floor. There was no mention of priceline. The room was a nice size, well furnished and with a beautiful view of the San Francisco skyline. The bellman was sweet and informative, telling us that there were sensors in the mini-bar. The location was the best- two blocks to chinatown and one block to Union Square and a cable car stop. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• 2 months later...

Nutshell: Would be happy to get this hotel again.

First, the location of the Grand Hyatt is excellent on the NE corner of Union Square. Public areas were nice and the staff were friendly. My room was a tiny bit worn, but very large with more than adequate storage and comfortable.

In comparison, I was more impressed with the Park Hyatt in terms of the room and service, but there was nothing wrong with my stay at the Grand and it is a better location than the Park.

BillJ

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

We did enjoy our stay at the Grand Hyatt. At check in (1:30 pm) the front desk man treated me with respect and courtesy. In fact, at no point did any hotel employee treat us at all like second-class guests for having used Priceline to book our stay.

We got a room on the 24th floor with a west-facing view. The room was great-- quiet, comfortable, firm bed, plenty of hot water, fast elevators, nice "view room/lounge" on the 36th floor. We even dined at the restaurant on the 36th floor (using the 50% off coupon we received at check in) and were pleasently suprised-- the food was great!

My only recommendation to others who plan on staying at the Grand Hyatt would be to park at a nearby lot (there's one on O'Farrell near Mason, and another on Sutter and Sansome.) There's no in and out, but you'll save yourself $25-30/day.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• 2 months later...

This is a very old review: I stayed at the Grand Hyatt 2 years ago in early April for 2 nights; won it through Priceline $69/night (although I probably didn't bid as well as I should have). I requested a view of the Coit Tower, if possible; I got it; I think we were on the 24th floor. The room was very quiet; we were at the end of the hall so that might have helped.

In short, this was a fantastic hotel; located in a great area of San Francisco; Nob Hill (a place I always walk to in San Fran) is just a short walk up the hill. About my only complaint was the fitness center (which was free) was small; if you didn't get there by 6:45 am, you'd be waiting for a machine (luckily, I got there early my first morning and realized this was the case). There was a small TV in the bath (although I would have preferred a bathrobe instead - it was a 7 or 9" TV so not very visible while soaking in the tub).

Martinis up on the top floor were delicious as was the view. We walked to the St. Marks later for martinis as well - less than a mile.

Staff were wonderful. Had a minibar mischarge (I must have rearranged something when storing my own things in the frig!) but that was promptly corrected.

Of course, as with all hotels, they charge you a fortune for phone calls, internet access, etc.

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd post a review to give other bidders an idea about this hotel. I wasn't able to win a bid for this hotel due to the dental convention, and was unable to get a 4th night at my winning bid hotel (the Marriott on 4th Street($120/night)., so I had to find lodgings for one night.

I stayed here on 9/11. The hotel is just up the hill from the Powell Street stop of the MUNI line. This hotel couldn't have been in a more convenient location. Several bus stops were across the street, you're one block from Union Square and a ton of shopping.

The lobby is a typical hotel lobby. I didn't experience the "Priceline" prejudice that some people have said they've encountered. I was given a nice room on the 17th floor. I didn't pay much attention to the view, since I was only going to be there for one night. The room istelf is a bit dated. I have a couple of gripes about the room. It had a doorway to the adjacent room. Early in the morning, I was woken up by loud talking. I thought it was housekeeping in the hall, but it was the guy in the next room on the phone!

MY second gripe is the smell. My room had a mildew smell to it, that I never could pinpoint. The Grandviews Lounge was nice, but nothing special. It's a nice place, but I given a choice, I would stay at the Marriott down the street or try another hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]