Hotwire Hotel: Help ID Richmond BC (YVR) 3* Hotel

sweetpea2009
By sweetpea2009,
in

Hello all. I'm totally new to this and not sure where to start. I'm hoping to find a hotel near the Vancouver airport in Richmond for one night in March, the 16th. We're returning from Oahu and have a wonky flight home, landing in Vancouver at 10:30 pm and then leaving for Kelowna the next day at 2 pm.

We'd like to find a nearby hotel with a shuttle service back and forth, something reasonable and ideally with a pool to keep the kids occupied the next morning and hopefully a restaurant for breakfast. I've never used Hotwire before, so am not sure where to start. Has anyone any suggestions for which hotels are near the airport and might fit the bill. If so, when would be the best time to bid on one...now or closer to the date? I know the Olympics will be over by then, will that make a difference in the pricing? We don't need 4-star, just clean and comfortable. We'd like to keep the price below $100 if possible. (ha!)

Also, since we're checking in so late (probably close to midnight) will that present any problems, or just wise to let the hotel know ahead of time?

Thanks in advance for helping such a complete newbie! :)

Kim

When searching for this date on HOTWIRE for 2 adults/2 children, there is a 2.5* w/the icons, smoke-free, shuttle, pool and internet for $64. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but my guess would be the Comfort Inn.

There is also a 3.5* w/Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, for $112 (my guess would be the Radisson. There's also a 3* for $72, but that listing does not offer pool.

Would any of these listings be of interest?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

Thanks! I wonder if I should wait a bit, and see if the 3* might be identified. If it is the Hampton Inn we'd be happy with that. We stayed at one in Spokane before and after a flight to Phoenix and were very happy with the experience. I have never stayed at the other property, so am not sure about it, but I did notice that they don't offer 24 hour shuttle service to the hotel, which would prove a difficulty for us as we arrive so late from Oahu.

Any special way to keep an eye on this, to see if it is identified in the next few weeks?

I just noticed that Hotwire lists La Quinta as a 2-star property when they give examples of the types of hotels in each category. I wonder, would this 3 star still be La Quinta? Hmmmm...

Most La Quinta properties are now rate 3* by HOTWIRE... having them listed as examples of 2* hotels is old info that has not been updated by HOTWIRE.

You can certainly wait if you choose to do so, but trying to wait for a specific hotel to appear in an area such as this with LOTS of properties usually proves to be a futile experience. (plus, since the Hampton Inn in this zone has never been reported to the board, we don't even really know what we're looking for)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are the amenities for the 3* hotel Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness, Restaurant, and Business? If so, I don't think that one is the Hampton Inn or La Quinta, as neither appears to have an on-site restaurant. Given that this hotel has both a restaurant and complimentary breakfast, my best guess is the Best Western Abercorn Inn.

Interesting...I know on the Hampton Inn website for Richmond it does list a free breakfast bar as one of the amenities, but I'm not sure if that means they have an on-site restaurant where you can have lunch/dinner. I know the one in Spokane did when we stayed there, and it was the location of the breakfast the next morning.

I won't wait to see if a particular property is identified, as I know that may never happen. :)

Thanks again for your help,

Kim

• 4 weeks later...

New here, trying to find a hotel near YVR for one night in March. Hotwire has the following 3* for $64. It has a 25% recommendation listed as well. Not sure about that, doesn't sound great.

The amenities listed are

Shuttle

Complimentary breakfast

Fitness Centre

Restaurant

Business Centre

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm totally new to Hotwire.

I can't help with the specifics of the hotel. I would suggest that a property that has a 75% rejection rate is probably not going to provide a satisfying experience. It's nearly impossible to please everyone. Some travellers take offense at the smallest things. e.g. The hotel only offers shampoo and conditioner in one, not separate. I'll never stay there again! The result ends up being 85 or 90% recommendation rate for a great property. That said, it is easy to displease the majority with poor conditions or service. My advice is to save yourself the poor night's sleep and skip anything with that low a rating.

I can't help with the specifics of the hotel. I would suggest that a property that has a 75% rejection rate is probably not going to provide a satisfying experience. It's nearly impossible to please everyone. Some travellers take offense at the smallest things. e.g. The hotel only offers shampoo and conditioner in one, not separate. I'll never stay there again! The result ends up being 85 or 90% recommendation rate for a great property. That said, it is easy to displease the majority with poor conditions or service. My advice is to save yourself the poor night's sleep and skip anything with that low a rating.

Thanks. My feelings echo yours. I'll keep looking, we still have some time.

The amenities are the same as the hotel you asked about a few weeks ago, so my best guess is the same -- the Best Western Abercorn Inn. The customer ratings are low enough that I'd pass on it too, even given the small number of reviews for this property. If it is the Best Western, it probably isn't that bad judging from the other reviews I've seen, but it's almost certainly overrated as a 3* hotel (Priceline rates it 2*).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]