Hotwire Hotel: 4* Tucson (Foothills) Lodge at Ventana Canyon

Scorp
By Scorp,
in

We are thinking of adding some days on to our previously booked Tucson stay (previous from 3/21 to 3/28, now from 3/28 to 4/1 or 4/2).

Tried bidding on Priceline up to $120 for a Resort in both La Paloma and North Tucson zones. None were accepted. I know these are still busy dates for Arizona, but thought there might be some availability at that price. Not all the resorts are sold out, e.g. Hilton El Conquistador is $170/night for a AAA rate, $169 for Westward Look...

Checking Hotwire, there is a 3* in Central Tucson with Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Spa, Golf, Tennis, Business Centre for $41/night. I think it is the Doubletree at Reid Park?

Also, that tantalizing 4* in the Foothills that others have wondered about... it is $85/night with Resort, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Spa, Golf, Tennis. I have read that this is probably the Lodge at Ventana Canyon, but there is no Business Centre listed on Hotwire and the Lodge appears to have a Business Centre. It has meeting areas, business and secretarial services.

Any more thoughts on this 4* Hotwire property??? I was thinking it might be the Westward Look, but the Westward Look appears as a 3.5* in the Package section. Does Hotwire ever change the rating of a property between the Hotels section and the Packages section?

Actually, that is a very smart suggestion! That Marriott at Starr Pass looks nice and they are likely to show up somehow and somewhere.

I did take the leap and it turned out to be The Lodge at Ventana Canyon. I will post details under Hotwire - Arizona.

Thank you for posting that information on the Starr Pass property, though! It is definitely one to keep an eye out for....

I am so pleased to get this hotel! Showed up as 4* Foothills with Resort, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Spa, Golf, Tennis. Someone suggested it might be the new Marriott Starr Pass (good to keep in mind as another possibility!) and I would have been delighted with either one!

$85 X 4 = $340 + $32.95 tax & fee = $372.95

Keeping with the Western theme, bid through the SavingsBarn.com!

I had tried bidding up to $120/night for a Resort property on Priceline (they don't show 4* properties for Tucson), so this seems very good, indeed.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that the Lodge at Ventana room rates start at $249/night for our dates.

Thanks for taking the leap on this and i'm glad to see it worked out extremely well for your plans. Looks like this property has changed star ratings (4.5* to 4*) since originally posted... i'll be sure to update the lists accordingly.

Your posts and help on the board are always appreciated.

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com for your purchase and have a great trip!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Received an email from Hotwire today, stating that they have determined that the level of Spa services at this property is not sufficient for them to label it as such, and they have offered me the choice of a full refund and they will help us rebook, or a 50% ($186.48) HotDollars credit.

I took the credit, as we don't really care about Spa services, anyway. We just wanted a big room or suite in this area or in Tucson North.

That is a great windfall... especially since you didn't care that much about the Spa!

When you have a chance can you see if the SPA icon has bee removed from the amenity list for this hotel (you can check my clicking the MY ACCOUNT link on the top right of Hotwire's home page).

Spend the extra money in your pocket wisely! :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That's almost unbelievable customer service! Hotwire may have higher prices than priceline, but they seem to care a bit more about customer satisfaction.

BTW, if you comb through some old posts, I stayed at this hotel with this great direct AMEX promo rate (I think it was about $70/night on this 3-night package plan) after I couldn't get anything on priceline. The hotel was great. Rooms are massive and nicely furnished. Grounds will kept (in gated country club community). Location more convenient than some other Tucson resorts. While I doubt they'll do it on an opaque stay, they comped us breakfast for our whole stay out of the kindness of their hearts. How often does that happen?

When you have a chance can you see if the SPA icon has bee removed from the amenity list for this hotel.

The hotel icons are exactly the same in my purchases summary (My Account still shows the Spa icon), but when I search for some later dates in the same zone, I do see a 4* that could be the Lodge, but without the Spa icon. So, yes, I believe they have changed it for future purchases.

That's almost unbelievable customer service! Hotwire may have higher prices than priceline, but they seem to care a bit more about customer satisfaction.

Yes, pretty surprising, isn't it? When I replied to their email, I mentioned how great I thought this was, and how I knew Priceline would never have done the same!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]