Priceline Hotel: 3.5* NYC (CPS) Hudson

merluza
By merluza,
in

Hi,

In September, we will spend 4 days in NYC. I have already started reading the New York Priceline thread and found that September is rather a busy period in New York. I'm also not too familiar with the Manhattan zones: as far as I know, all midtown regions are fine. I stayed in NYC once, in the Belvedere (not through Priceline, it was a school trip), and this hotel was conveniently located. I don't think I would like to stay in the downtown-Soho region, this region is quite large and I assume there is more to do in Midtown. So, here are the regions where I would like to win a hotel: Central Park South, Chelsea, Empire State, Madison Square, Midtown East, Midtown West, Times Square.

Yesterday, I placed a bid through Priceline, which had almost no chance of being accepted according to the site: I started at 100$ in the Central Park South zone, added midtown west en east and went up to 110$. Which bid is more realistic to get a 4* property? And a 3.5*? Which regions are the most popular?

I know I still have plenty of time, but there is no harm in trying already.

Thanks!

In my opinion the best bargains currently happening are in Midtown east 4 star where many people end up with the Grand Hyatt for under 120 (100-120). In Central Park south 4 star a few have won the the Parker Meridien for 120/night.

One strategy would be decide which of those properties would be ideal and use the free bid strategy. Given you may get another property, but in this class I think all are acceptable.

To try and get the hyatt (alternatives in this class are also nice) I would start at 90/night and use free bids increasing by 5 dollars. Last time I tried there were 5 free bids for 4 stars.

You could also put all the acceptable zones, but I am not sure there would be free bids with that, so you may have to wait 24 hrs between bids.

I agree with AaronJB that rates $120 and under are not likely realistic for dates in the Fall (you can start that low and try if your re-bid zones allow you to get up to more realistic levels, but i certainly would not expect those type of prices)

I do think your $150 maximum bid is realistic for a 3.5* hotel but, not likely for a 4* hotel. For your bidding above, did you select 4* or 3.5*? Did you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit or start at the 3.5* level? If first trying for a 4* hotel, which zone(s) (by PRICELINE name) are you willing to accept? At the 3.5* level, which zone(s) are you willing to accept?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The bid I tried was for a 4* hotel. I knew my chances were none, but you never know. The regions I would consider are: Central Park South, Chelsea, Empire State, Madison Square, Midtown East, Midtown West, Times Square. This goes as well for the 4* properties as for the 3.5*. I have no real preference, if I would have to pick a favorite, I would say CPS (although this seems to be the most expensive region).

Considering my budget I guess the best strategy is to stick to the 3.5* level. NY is already expensive enough :).

Just one note before suggesting a strategy to follow.

At the 3.5* level the MTE zone includes the Millenium UN, which is a very nice hotel and while 'do-able', is not as convenient as most other hotels in the area as it's about a 15 minute walk to the subway. Would this still work for your needs, or would you prefer to avoid this zone as an option?

Please confirm and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MSG, TS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* CPS, ESB, MSG, TS and MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145

Any questions feel free to ask. If the above is rejected there is a 3.5* in the MTE zone on HOTWIRE for ~$147 which we'll take a look at and discuss further.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Today my offer of 166$ was accepted by the Hudson hotel:

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $166.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 4

Room Subtotal: $664.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $138.72 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $802.72 (USD)

Started at 145, raising 7-8$ at a time, no counteroffers.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or upset: the regular rate on the site is 175$. This is not what I call a big deal. I already sent an e-mail to customer service, but they apparently are not willing to help in any way.

Reviews are also very mixed about the Hudson apparently.

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the result.

The Hudson is definitely a unique, trendy property and I think that's the reason for the variation in reviews; either people enjoy its style and "scene" or they don't - and if they don't, the rooms at this property are on the small side.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the effort Aaron. No, I searched many sites yesterday too, and could not find a lower rate either (although it is very close). This is a very un-Priceline-ish win.

The disappointment has sunk a little though. It will not spoil the fun of visiting NYC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]