Hotwire Hotel: New York Christmas 2010 -- Dec. 9 (4 nights)

General
By General,
in

Help! Our Annual Girls Trip is to New York in December (check in on 12/9 and out on 12/13). There are four of us -- need 2 rooms or a suite with 2 baths. We need 2 queens in each bedroom.

I have used Priceline for New York before and always requested 2 queens after winning bid. However, due to Christmas, I am scared.

We would prefer 4* rooms but would go down. What prices should I expect for 4*s? When should I start bidding?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to Betterbidding! :)

The Christmas season is a toughie, but there were certainly some bidders who bid quite a few months in advance and got rates that seemed like terrific bargins - then seemed amazing once the dates actually rolled around and rates had gone up substantially.

There are hotel properties with suites and two bedrooms, but I can't think of any offhand w/two bathrooms. Additionally, there's no way to guarantee a suite w/PRICELINE. In terms of successfully requesting a room w/two beds on a PRICELINE reservation, that's quite lucky, as many properties in NYC do not have two beds and many users have reported hotels either saying no or charging extra fees for a room w/2 beds.

What would be your budget per room/per night, and which areas would you be interested in staying in?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

It's too far out to get a quote from Hotwire or Priceline. My opinion if you bid 120 for 4* CPS on Priceline you may end up with the Parker Maridien. In MTE for 110-120 4* maybe the Grand Hyatt.

To me these are the best bargain wins 4* for similar dates this year. But for one year from now who knows.

As you know you will prepay and you commit before knowing exactly which hotel you will get.

Have you used the "free bid" strategy before? Today you have 5 free bids when you first select CPS 4*.

(you need to confirm what the status of this is before attempting)

You will need to wait a few weeks before you can book these dates. My strategy would depend on which location is your first choice.

According to Priceline rules rooms are suitable for two people.But there is no guarantee of two queen beds. In a 4* it seems more likely that you get that vs. twin.

I would be okay anywhere in Midtown/Times Square/Central Park area. We want to avoid Upper East / West areas and Downtown due to our shopping and show plans.

We would like to stay under $500/person -- thus, $1000 per room, i.e. $250 per night.

Do most one bed rooms have King Beds or could we have a room with a Queen only?

Thanks again for all the help.

Given how small the majority of rooms in NYC are, many rooms are 1 queen and some boutique properties have 1 full. You may luck out and get a property with two beds or more variation in bedding, but with PRICELINE, that's really the luck of the draw and two beds with a PRICELINE reservation in NYC is generally a rarity.

HOTWIRE may be a better idea in this case, but these dates are not even available to be selected yet. Still, I'd definitely book ahead, as if last year is any indication, those who booked for this time period earlier in the year really got terrific rates in comparison to those who booked a month before or, even moreso, last minute.

It's too far out to get a quote from Hotwire or Priceline.
True... you can only bid up to 330 day in advance of your stay.
My opinion if you bid 120 for 4* CPS on Priceline you may end up with the Parker Maridien. In MTE for 110-120 4* maybe the Grand Hyatt.
I don't think these prices are realistic for this time of year which is a very expensive time period in NYC.
We need 2 queens in each bedroom.
Once your within 330 days i would search HOTWIRE and see if any offers appear with their new "bed choice" feature, which would enable you to secure a specific bed type. Otherwise, you could try searching for quad occupancy for each room, which would ensure separate sleeping accomodations for everyone, but the 'second bed' could be a pullout sofabed or a rollaway... no way to ensure that you'll receive two queen beds (other than the "bed choice" option)

Bump this thread once the beginning of Februaray comes about and we'll see what is currently available/offered at that time.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]