CA Los Angeles Residence Inn Manhattan Beach

blindman
By blindman,
in

Stayed here for 3 nights 4th-7th Jan 05.

Excellent value for money:

Free parking.

Free breakfast (waffles,eggs,pancakes,fruit,cereal,porridge,toast, muffins and more...

Free Internet 100Mbps

Free happy hour Mon-Thurs 17:00-19:00 Beer and red, white and rose wine + salads, sandwiches and other snacks.

Free first night pack with coffee\tea and mwave popcorn

Free gym. Two treadmills a stepper and bike, open 24 hrs with room key.

Free Pool and two spas.

Basketball and tennis court.

Launderette needs coins.

They'll shop for you if you give them a list of groceries!

They'll print of from mapquest directions to wherever you want to go.

Room has a kitchen with dishwasher, Mwave, fridge,freezer and cooker.

Lounge,bedroom has sofa Large TV and decent double bed.

Bathroom was a bit dated but adequate.

About 1 mile form the beach and about 4 miles from the airport.

All this for $38 !

Highly recommend.

• 3 months later...

Paid $38 for one night here in March 2005. Easter Sunday, to be precise.

Though not in the LAX zone, this Residence Inn is convenient to LAX. It is comfortable in its appointments, and staffed by some very friendly people.

I'll agree with everything blindman said earlier, but add some more...

The greeting from the front desk staff (I wish I got his name!) was the friendliest I've received at a hotel, anywhere, ever, period. (I've spent 34 nights in hotels year to date in 2005 alone, so consider this a big compliment!) Big thumbs up. We requested a unit that was as quiet as possible, and we received a top floor unit as far from the street as they could put us. Perfect. The apartment was clean, spacious, well-appointed, and comfortable. If there is room for improvement, it would be the bathroom, which was not as renovated as the rest of the unit, it seems. (again, agreeing with the earlier review...)

There is a Ralph's supermarket just a few blocks north, so making a home-cooked meal is easy. (We had been on the road for several weeks, so it was nice to be able to make our own comfort food.)

The free breakfast buffet the next morning was excellent. hot breakfast options (eggs, pancakes, etc.) as well as a make-your-own waffle bar. They could perhaps add a second waffle iron, as there was a line, but that's really getting picky.

Free internet access in the room. WebTV access if you don't bring your computer, for a fee.

Big thumbs up. Would happily stay here again.

I'm uploading photos to this link here, where I see the previous poster also added his pics.

• 1 month later...

blindman and cakobau weren't lying. Fabulous place and a great Priceline value. With 2.5* hotels rarely accessible in the LAX zone (due to undesireable upgrades to 3*), this (Manhattan Beach zone) is an awesome alternative.

• 2 years later...

It's a good value, but if you are looking for a luxury property, this isn't the one. A small pool, like you'd expect to see in a back yard, and the rooms provide relatively spartan (its only 2.5*) , though spacious accommodations, and free parking and free wired internet. They supply the cable. Parking is difficult on the weekends, and you may have to go up the street towards the airport and park in the neighborhoods if you come in too late on Friday or Saturday night.

The rooms have been upgraded from when I stayed here three years ago. The beds, linens and towels, which used to be motel 6 quality, are nicer, though not as nice as a 3*.

The breakfast is nice because it's free, but it's cereal, waffles, eggs, potatoes sausage and toast. To be honest, I saw people coming back from Noahs bagels on my way out the first day, and thought, "why didn't I do that?" I skipped the breakfast the second day of my stay: it's just not that great. People go after it because it's free the same way people will take airline peanuts, but face it, if someone was charging you $5 for the breakfast, you'd go to to Noahs bagels.

The best part about the place is that you get a fridge, a knife and plates and silverware, so you can keep food in the room. That and a great location, about a mile from the beach, as well as parking right in front of your room, for easy in and outs.

To get there from LAX, just find your way to Sepulveda (runs through the airport) and turn left. Head about 4 miles up. Look for the Toyota Dealership on your left hand side and turn left just before it. On the other side of the Toyota dealership is a Target, on the corner fo Manhattan Beach Blvd. Turn left on Manhattan Beach Blvd to find a Trader Joes on the left side, about a mile and a half up the road. Instead of turning left onto MBB, you can turn right and find the beach. Parking in the neighborhood above the beach is easy on weekends before 10am, and it's free all day. The beach area has a Noahs Bagels, Peets Coffee, and Starbucks, as well as a Vons supermarket, mostly filled with beer, all on Manhattan Beach Blvd. Restaurants are mediocre, like a lot of beach towns.

On sepulveda, opposite the direction of the toyota dealership (towards the airport) is the Ralphs, on the right about 3/4 of a mile. Further up, turn right on the major street, Rosecrans to find an office depot, another trader joes, longs drugs, another Noahs/Starbucks with plenty of free parking (the one at the beach has none), and further up, at the 405 freeway, a Fedex/Kinkos.

I'd recommend it, as I think it is a good value. If you just want some place to hang your hat, it's perfect. But if you were planning on spending much time at the hotel, and wanted someplace nice, I'd look for a 3*. It isn't particularly special. I don't want to mislead you: I stay here a couple of times a year, but only when I'm traveling by myself. For a single male, it's a great deal, and I don't need a super nice room - I don't spend any time here. My younger brother hates it, and I think most women would find it slightly less than average.

• 7 months later...

I stayed three nights in December 2007, including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The hotel was nearly full with families, not Res Inn's usual business crowd. Had a great stay and I'll try to win this hotel again. Everything is free here---parking, internet, breakfast, evening wine reception on weekdays.

This is an "old school" 1980's vintage Residence Inn, with 22 detached two-story buildings around a circular drive, 8 suites per building and parking in front of your door. It looks like a suburban garden complex.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that there wasn't nearly enough seating in the breakfast area, which was a mob scene every morning. I took my breakfast back to my room and microwaved it there.

Overall a great deal for the price.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]