Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (Financial District-Embarcadero) Hilton Financial

pacificboot
By pacificboot,
in

Booked the Hilton at the above rate, using the above PRICELINE links provided.

First bid at $60 got rejected, but with $17 increase, I am try again.

So I used the half-off rebid trick and add rebid zone for $65 + $17/2 = $73 and got the Hilton

My initial surprise was "Sweet! Great Deal"... but it ends there because when I checked the rates at the official website, the hotel was offering a special of $89 + tax. Being priceline charges more taxes+charges than booking directly with hotel, basically including tax, it was $91 vs $101 - a disappointing $10 dollar saving. This has got to be the worst deal I have ever had (in terms of money saved). Based on my experience, using priceline has saved me about 35-65% off regular room rates, and this "deal" saved me less than 10%. 10% is better than nothing, so I am satisfied with the deal, though I expect more.

Thanks for posting your winning bid, even if a bit disappointing in terms of a percentage discount over booking directly.

It is always best to check retail rates before you bid on Priceline. Especially so in the current economic environment. Throughout this past year, hotels have gotten very aggressive in their own direct-book pricing. Enjoy your stay and good luck with your future bookings.

It also pays to check Hotwire, where the 4* offering in the Embarcadero area appears to be the Hilton FD, going for $82. That coupled with the Hilton website could have directed you to a different zone or star level.

Note to BEAV....Haven't seen you around for a while. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]