Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Newark Comfort Suites $44

Kippax1966
By Kippax1966,
in

Just got this place for a brief overnight stop before going on to New York.

It's in the Newark Airport area, with Shuttle, Gym, Breakfast and Laundry facilities.

I chose this because of the 'Shuttle' and 'Breakfast' amenities. The price seems fair BUT, on checking on their web site, there's a charge of $10 per person, per trip, for the shuttle. I expected, as in the UK, that this would be free. As we were planning to go back to the airport in the morning after staying, it will add $40 to our stay!

Oh well, you live and learn!!

Most hotels do offer this service complimentary, but <unfortunately> Hotwire states under the icons that there may be a fee. This property is probably just a little further away than the typical airport hotel, and therefore can get away with charging a fee. $10/pp seems quite expensive for this trip, and i would definately inquire as to a taxi's cost when you arrive at the airport ( taxi rates are regulated and it's a fixed rate to various locations, so you can get the cost by asking the dispatcher. I just called a car service here and they quoted me $25, but i think it would be somewhat cheaper at the airport since you'd be staying within the Newark city limits)

The good news, however, is i called the hotel and they're only about 1 mile away from the Newark Penn Station train station. Depending upon how managable your luggage situation is, you can take a cab in the morning to the train station and get to mid-town Manhattan for $1.50/pp via the PATH train! The PATH will drop you in NYC at 32nd St and 6th Ave/Broadway. From there you can get a cab to the hotel for just a few dollars.

Let me know if you think the luggage situation will be managable for this option, and i will supply you more details (i'll also try to find a better taxi rate from airport to hotel than the $25 mentioned above). For comparison purposes, i would think that a taxi from the hotel to NYC would cost about $60.

There is also the option of taking AirLink to Newark Penn Station (Airlink is discussed in the New York Tips area) and then taking a cab to the hotel from the train station. But this may/may not be worth it to you from a convenience (and carrying a baby and luggage) point of view.

If you follow up on how managable lugging your luggage will be, i'll give more details on my opinion for the best option.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I thought $25 seemed high. Based upon this site for Newark Airport, the taxi should be about $15-16 (i'm not sure of the exact zone the hotel lies in, but $16 is the most expensive of within the Newark city limits: Taxi INFO from Newark Airport

Also look at: Official Taxi Cab RATES from Newark Airport

The taxi from the hotel to the train station should only be a few dollars (<$5) since it's only a mile or so. If the hotels owns a shuttle van, maybe they'll drop you there for free or a $5 tip for the driver.

Once at the train station, you want the PATH train to 33rd Street. You'll know the destination of the train by looking above the doors, there will be a "33" above the doors that is lit up (just ask somebody if you're unsure). At the hour you'll be going, this is a direct trip and no transfer is involved. You can see a map of the system here: Map of PATH Train system. The fare is $1.50/pp, and they take $1 dollar bills (just have a few in case the machine doesn't like your first bill because it's too wrinkled). Don't worry about a schedule, as the train runs about every 10 minutes or so.

This route is used heavily by commuters, and since you'll be traveling with luggage, i would recommend making this trip sometime after 9:30am (preferably after 10am) so that the train won't be crowded, you'll get a seat, and it'll just be a more pleasant experience since you'll have luggage and a child with you (and you're on vacation).

Once in NYC, you should be able to hail a cab no problem. TIP: NYC taxi's have a sign on top of their roof with their medallion number in the middle and the words "OFF DUTY" on the side of this number. If the license number is lit up, then the cab is available, if there is no light on, then the cab already has a fare, or if the OFF DUTY light is on then then the driver is not accepting fares. Pretty basic stuff, but something you probably don't know coming in from over seas. Just stand on a corner with your hand in the air when you see a taxi with its medallion number lit coming your way and they'll pull over.

Any questions on any of the above, feel free to ask.

PS- Newark is not that great of an area, so if you need to leave the hotel at nite, take a taxi or ask the hotel if they'll drive you a few blocks if you tip the driver. I know you're getting in late, but there are some very good Portuguese and Spanish restaurants in the area if you will be eating dinner locally (i'll recommend a few if you'd like).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]