CA Los Angeles Radisson Airport

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

After a comfortable stay at the nearby Embassy Suites, I received this property on my return visit to 3 star "hotel row" outside of LAX. It is actually the closest hotel to the airport -- an easy two block walk from Terminal One or you can take the frequent shuttles (a good idea if you're going to the other terminals or have luggage).

But the hotel location has its drawbacks. It is too close to the airport to have other commerce -- namely restaurants -- so you're pretty much at their mercy if you don't have a car ($12 parking charge -- you might be able to find free parking within walking distance). And the hotel mercilessly exploits this fact, with extremely high food prices. I do have a good insider's tip, however, given to me by an airline employee. At the bottom of the signature "spider" building at LAX (about a 7 minute walk from the hotel), there is a cafeteria (I think it was called City Deli) serving breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices (at least 70% less than comparable food at the hotel). Breakfast was pretty tasty, and they'll give you "to go" containers to bring it back to the hotel. A good place for anyone visiting LAX who needs a quick bite at a reasonable price (cheaper than the in-terminal concessions as well). No dinner, however.

The hotel itself was old but recently refurbished, and otherwise more than acceptable. Thick glass on the windows kept airport noise at bay. So no real complaints at $43. But hope you get the Embassy Suites instead, where you get even more bang for your buck (and a room 3X the size).

• 2 months later...

While I was happy to pay a $45 bid for a night (Mar. 3, 2005) at this hotel (it wound up being about $59 all-in), I would not be overjoyed if I got this place again the next time I need a room at LAX. While I admit checking in at 11 pm likely limited the choices available in inventory, the room we received with 2 beds was about the size of a postage stamp. The bathroom was equally cramped, and it was hard to maneuver in a room with four large suitcases. Housekeeping was being kept busy, as when I asked the front desk during checkin to send someone to at least spray the smoking room down, that it would have been a half hour wait, as the three people checking in ahead of me were also looking for that. It was only luck that a housekeeping unit was working on a suite on our floor that we asked the maid to come in with her spray bottle.

I also read somewhere that free high speed wireless internet access came with the room. That is wrong. There was a patch cable sitting on the desk with a $9.95 charge per 24 hours. The only unsecured wireless access I picked up didn't get me anything.

As mentioned earlier, I would not be thrilled to get this place again if I knew there was better value for the same price or a little higher elsewhere. If you are looking for a place to sleep before your next flight out of LAX, this is an adequate place to go. Just hope for better.

Proud to be Canadian!

Right across the street from the RD is the 2.5* Courtyard by Marriott, which is often won on PL for $36 + tax/fee.

The CY is much newer than the RD, and all rooms have free highspeed (wired) internet access.

Also, don't forget about the (in) famous In-and-Out Burger, a mere <10 minute walk from both hotels.

• 1 year later...

Received this hotel for $60 this time (hotel inflation!). Proximity to the airport is its main selling point. Otherwise, it's still pretty comfy, but I didn't get one of those sleep number beds they're advertising. Clientele is about 80% foreigners this time of year, so it's got a very int'l feel. Made it out to the (marginally) heated pool, which is huge! There's free plug in internet access, but it seems very slow. I'll have to post the bid when I return home to regular service.

• 3 years later...

We paid $70 for this hotel, since 3 weeks after after our Priceline bid of $70 for a 4-star hotel was accepted by the Sheraton Gateway, we received a message from Priceline saying the Sheraton discovered it was overbooked and put us at the Radisson instead (we did get a coupon good for a discount on a future Priceline bid). The hotel is showing its age, but overall is not bad. It's right across the street from the LAX entrance. You could walk to the airport if you really wanted to, though there is a shuttle bus (shared by another hotel). The room windows, with extra panes, filter out almost all airplane noise and all street noise (better than at many other airport hotels I'd stayed at in various cities). Housekeeping was good, though used room service trays did seem to sit in the hallway for an awfully long time. The downstairs cafe and bar had limited items, though the bar could order food items from the main restaurant. That restaurant was good, and somewhat atmospheric, but rather expensive, espeically for drinks (as one would expect at a hotel). It was too cool for us to use the outdoor pool. We also did not use the small fitness room, tucked away off the lobby next to the small gift shop. It was about a 3 block walk to the main public bus stop serving LAX; we used it to take both Santa Monica and Culver City busses to Westwood and Santa Monica (you could also take a bus to the nearest L.A. light rail station). Busses are inexpensive; taxis expensive. There are almost no non-hotel restaurants within walking distance (one morning we walked about 10 minutes to a Carls Jr. for breakfast and another morning we ate breakfast at LAX, where we'd gone to pick up the FlyAway bus to Westwood). You need to pay for parking, but we didn't have a car until we checked out (walked to the Avis location and then picked up our bags from the hotel). Overall, while the hotel is not luxurious, and not as upscale at the nearby Hilton or Sheraton, it was quit okay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]