Priceline Hotel: 2.5* NYC (Madison Square Garden-Convention) Hampton Inn Times Square

collinhack
By collinhack,
in

Hi, I've been hoping to get a good deal for a 14 night stay, but have had a lot of bids rejected, most recently for $100 per night in 2* and up in Midtown West and 2.5*s and up in midtown east. Is booking such a long trip a problem? Would I be better off starting with a smaller trip and "extending" it after winning the bid?

Would ideally like to stay under $150 per night inc. tax. in a central manhattan area. Any tips? Is it just a matter of patience?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Few issues probably effecting your lack of success:

1) this is a very long stay in PRICELINE / HOTWIRE terms... if even just one nite of this stay has very high demand, where hotels are not giving inventory to the opaque suppliers, it will result in your rejections

2) it's still very early before your stay, and hotels don't have a very good feel for inventory levels 5+ months into the future, so there is little reason for them to offer rooms at too deep of a discount to the opaque suppliers

3) Spring can be an expensive time in NYC, and your $150 'all-in' price is equivalent to about a $125 maximum bid, and this may or may not be enough in the Spring timeframe, but $100 is highly likely to be too low (see the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins, while using 2009 as an example shows some very inexpensive rates, this was during a very poor economic period, and use 2008 and you'll see many rates in the high $100's and low $200's) This brings re-inforces #2 above, that in the current economic uncertainty, hotels don't know if we'll have a 'double dip' recession and they'll be very slow again, or if this recovery will continue and they'll be able to fill many/most rooms on their own... so they may not offer too deep a discount at this point in time, and just take a 'wait and see' approach

Are you willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID as you mention above? However, note that if you do choose to do this, there is no assurance that PRICELINE will offer the option to extend your stay (or that if you are offered the same hotel, it may be at a higher price) As well, if you split, you may need to bid for the second part of your stay and receive a different hotel.

Lastly, on a positive nite, taking a look at HOTWIRE, you're probably not too far off... HOTWIRE has a 3.5* for your complete stay in the MTE zone for $145/nite... so you may not be too far off with a $125 maximum PRICELINE bid, but i'd be prepared to go a bit higher if necessary.

Based upon the above, let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (bid up to your limit for the complete stay, SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, etc) and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, that's helpful in confirming some of my suspicions at least :-)

Current non-opaque options are refundable $175 per night (inc tax) at the Mansfield and $115 per night (inc tax) at Hotel 31 in a room with shared bathroom, so I guess I'd want to do a little better than that to have a locked in rate. All the 2* and up hotel in MTE and MTW seem pretty good as far as reviews go (assuming I get a "normal" reported hotel) so I was concentrating on those zones. Will also be arriving and leaving via Penn Station, so somewhere closeish by taxiwise would be good.

I guess I'd prefer not to risk shorter stays unless I was going to get a really good rate. The calender of wins shows 4* MTE hotel for $146 at the start of my dates and 3.5* MTE Roosevelt for $110.

This stuff is tricky! :-)

I'd definitely keep trying to work out a reservation in advance, as if traffic is normal during these dates, rates could definitely go higher, as this is a rather busy Spring period in NYC.

I'm seeing a 3.5* in the MTE area for $139 on HOTWIRE for these dates (restaurant, fitness, internet, business; possibly the Tudor, Doubletree Met or Roosevelt.) Given that, you may have success in the $110-125 range for a 3.5* in MTE on PRICELINE.

Please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links.

Congratulations on your success!

Outstanding price for a long stay in NYC; as impressive as this deal is now, I think it'll probably look like an even better deal closer to the date. Plus, free breakfast.

Can you confirm the star rating of this property?

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using the site's PRICELINE link.

Enjoy your stay.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]