CA San Francisco Holiday Inn Gateway Cathedral Hil

vegaslover73
By vegaslover73,
in

• 3 years later...

I've stayed here several times and generally like the hotel and its location. Hotel used to be in Cathedral Hill zone but Priceline has redone the zones and now it's in the Civic Center zone, at the corner of Van Ness and California.

Hotel is 26 stories. The first 6 or 7 stories are parking deck and the rooms are above that. 6th floor has an outdoor rooftop swimming pool, which I didn't try since it was November. Self parking has gone up to $34/day with unlimited in/out privileges. You can keep your car in the deck until 4pm after a noon checkout for no additional fee. Highspeed internet is free.

East facing views are super. The Holiday Inn is the only tall building in the vicinity so views aren't obstructed as they often are in denser Union Square. The hotel charges a higher conventional rate for east facing views than west, but I've been given an east view the last three times I've stayed here, even though I was on Priceline.

On every floor there are two rooms at the very ends of the hall that are smaller than the other rooms. A "notch" is missing from these rooms to allow space for the exterior stairwells. These smaller end of the hall rooms tend to be Priceline rooms and feel a bit crowded. The hotel's lobby and public spaces are small for a hotel with this many rooms.

Hotel is near the Tenderloin but not in it. Walk south and the neighborhood gets worse. Walk north and it gets better. Many good places to eat within a couple blocks of the hotel. The California Street cable car stops at the north side of the hotel. A ride to Powell is $5. For those who don't like crowds the California cable car is usually much less crowded than the more famous Powell Street cable car.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]