Priceline Hotel: Hostels x Low-star hotels in Europe

KreGg
By KreGg,
in

Hi guys.

I will soon be travelling to Europe and visit around 4-5 countries in just 1 month (England, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, France).

I was looking into some hostels and they are like 20-30 dollars per night. The thing is I just don't feel that comfortable in leaving my bags there with people I don't know and sleeping in a room with 4+ people that I don't even know their name.

So I was thinking of using priceline to get me a low-star hotel for a reasonable price.

I have read that 2 stars at Europe are bad. But how bad is it?

I really don't care, if it has a clean restroom and a clean bed, I'm good to go.

Could I get a 2-star for like 20-40 dollars? How about a 1-star, is it unbearable for my needs? If it's as good as a hostel but with single rooms, I'm ok.

Thanks.

It really depends upon your tolerence for comfort and the 'unknown'. Just like there are some hostels which are worse than others (and some which are quite nice) you'll likely find the same thru PRICELINE and HOTWIRE. Even thru the opaque providers a hotel room will likely cost you more than a hostel, but a hotel room will also be a private room along with a private bath. As well, note that some hostels won't let you keep your bags there during the day.

Generally speaking $20-$40 is probably too low for most properties in Europe, although you may be successful (depending upon city/zone) at the $40-$60 level.

Let us know once your dates/plans are firm and we'll take it from there, looking a but more closely at your location/dates.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

It is somewhat dependant on the specific property. Star levels in Europe are on a completely differnt criteria than the US.

It is based on what amenities a proerty has ONLY. So it could be 4 star and crappy, or one star and very nice.

A one star will have no restaurant,elevator, etc. But can be very clean and comfortable. I have stayed in many one stars that were like a 3 star here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

All the rooms on Priceline, Name Your Own Price, have only double room rates. You will therefore be paying for something more than you may require. Also to note is that breakfast is never included in the price. So all that has to be factored in when you are making up your mind. Generally, time of the year will also make a difference to prices. And some cities are more expensive than others.

The hostels typically have lockers for your bags. You can either bring your own padlock or they have them available (sometimes at a fee). A few of the hostels do have private rooms, but it is unusual.

Some advantages to the places are that it can be easier to get to know the other travelers, there can be lots of handy budget travel and local info, and some serve some pretty fair evening meals at good prices. While there definitely are more late teen and 20-somethings using the hostels, there are family groups and all other ages represented. Hostels often have available washers and dryers, usually are close to public transportation, and tend to have enough rules (curfews, lights out, etc.) that they are fairly civilized places to stay. Most are really quite clean. A bit well-used, maybe even shabby, but comfortable.

If you go the lower star route in Europe, I'd suggest doing a lot of checking via places like TripAdvisor, Lonely Planet, etc. if you purchase directly.

And I think I'd personally go the hostel route before bidding on the 1 and 2 star European hotels. I'm just a member here, but that would be my choice (and in fact has been, since I've stayed in hostels in Venice, Florence, London and Genoa and never bid lower than 3* for Europe places).

Romelle

www.hiusa.org is a good start, and you can look at the international ones from this site.

Maybe some of your moves from country to country could be via the overnight trains, using one of the rail passes to get a good rate?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]