Priceline Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey) Courtyard

cleaner
By cleaner,
in

I'm getting ready to start bidding for Los Angeles hotels from December 23 to December 30th. I'm hoping for around the $65 rate in Santa Monica (double tree guest suites has been a high success on better bidders).

Does strategy change when you need it for the whole week? Do I call the hotel and ask if they are full or near full any given night? For instance, I will gladly leave on the 29th if the 30th is booked. We are driving down so we have some flexibility.

Also, I noticed someone posted that they added Beverly hills area so they could bid again the same day. Is this because it is usually so highly priced for the same stars that it is highly unlikely they'd actually get it? Parking in BH is $25 a day. Yikes. Santa Monica not that much better at $18.

Thank you,

Andie

PS I'll make sure to use your PRICELINE link again when I start bidding!

Also, I noticed someone posted that they added Beverly hills area so they could bid again the same day. Is this because it is usually so highly priced for the same stars that it is highly unlikely they'd actually get it? Parking in BH is $25 a day. Yikes. Santa Monica not that much better at $18.

The Doubletree Guest Suites you want are a 3* in Santa Monica-MDR zone. Adding Beverly Hills-West Hollywood zone to your Santa Monica bids isn't a safe strategy because people sometimes win 3* hotels in BH-WH in the low $50's. If you're willing to stay in BH-WH it's a different story.

Lawndale is your only free rebid zone for 3*.

The important thing to know in a longer span of days is whether any of them have higher rates because they are special for some reason. I once got myself in a pickle because I couldn't get an employee pass for a train ride out of Los Angeles. I'd checked a lot of things, but it never occurred to me to think of sporting events. I was trying to get the train pass right at the end of the Bowl Games. Obviously, I'm not any kind of sports fan.

Anyway, take a look at either the retail side of PRICELINE, or another site like Expedia that shows the rates by individual days. See if they are pretty much flat, or there are some days that are unusually high.

If the rates are generally flat, bidding for the week should be no different than bidding for a day or two.

If there is a rate peak, then you have to ask yourself if you'd be willing to move hotels during your stay. If you are not willing to move, then your bid will have to be high enough to be at least equal to the highest day. You might consider HOTWIRE for this situation, as I think they do some averaging whereas PRICELINE does not.

If you are willing to move, then you want to split your bid into sections for the higher days and the lower ones and bid them separately. There is more discussion on this in the FAQs on splitting bids. Bid the low ones first. When you are successful, sometimes PL will offer their add-a-night feature. If not, then bid the more expensive days.

And of course you know you can't control just which hotel you get. Hoping is allowed though. :)

Romelle

Wow. Thank you so much! I've always used PRICELINE but I'd be willing to switch.

We would like to stay in Santa Monica for dec 23-30th. I've looked at Beverly hills, but after some calling around parking is about $25 a day. Santa monica double tree is $18 but I think there are some free possibilities.

Does HOTWIRE work the same as PRICELINE?

BTW Doubletree santa monica is 209 through priceline for next week, week of Christmas it is 219 each night- so not that big of a difference. I can't believe it has been going P.L for $65-$75!

Thanks All

Start with this I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire thread which explains teh similarlities, and differences, between PRICELINE and HOTWIRE... then feel free to ask any questions you may have.

If you decide you want to try PRICELINE let us know your maximum bid for a 3* in the Santa Monica zone and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow. If HOTWIRE, let us know what amenities are associated with the property you're interested in. We'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire:

2.5* for $79 Beach and wifi

2* for $69 Coffee, Pool

Doesn't sound like either are as good as the doubletree.

Bid on PL (through this site) for $60 just to see- it wanted me to raise my bid for $17. I didn't-but makes me think I'm within shooting range.

My max bid for something like the doubletree in Santa Monica would be $75 ish. List price is $219 all week. Regular list price is consistently $209

From what I can see from your map of hotels- 3.5 is marina del rey marriot (not desirable), 2.5 Marina del rey hotel (not desirable), No posted wins for the Holliday Inn since March, 3.5 Sheraton Delfina, the only listed 3* is the Double tree.

I'm only looking at Santa Monica right now. I'll look at culver city (folks are renting a house there for the week) if I have to. Beverly Hills is an option, but do I really want to spend my vaca in B.H.? Makes me cringe.

This site is really the best. I have more time than money right now so it is perfect to get the deal!

My max bid for something like the doubletree in Santa Monica would be $75 ish.

Keep in mind you can't guarantee one part of the zone... your hotel can be anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone as defined by PRICELINE. Also, the star rating you select is the minimum that you're willing to accept... your 3* bid could always be upgraded to a 3.5* property.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Bid on PL (through this site) for $60 just to see- it wanted me to raise my bid for $17. I didn't-but makes me think I'm within shooting range.

PRICELINE almost always accepts less than their counteroffer, so you can probably win this for less than $77. Maybe try $65 or $67 next.

You can wait 24 hours from your rejected bid to try higher or--if you don't want to wait--you can add Lawndale and bid higher now. Lawndale is a free rebid zone (only has hotels up to 2*), so you can add it to your 3* bids in other zones without risk of winning a hotel in Lawndale.

Others have mentioned it but I'll reinforce that you can win some other 3* or 3.5* hotel in Santa Monica besides the Doubletree and you could win a 3* or 3.5* in Marina del Rey too. Priceline is gambling.

Good luck!

For instance, I will gladly leave on the 29th if the 30th is booked. We are driving down so we have some flexibility.

Your flexibility with dates does let you make additional bids in a single 24 hour session. You can use your initial bid, raise a dollar or so and add that free zone Colfax mentioned for a second bid. Then start all over with the different set of dates for two more bids and up a dollar or so each time.

Romelle

1) Go to PRICELINE

2) Enter your dates and city (or use our search box on the top right of this page to combine steps 1 and 2)

3) Select only Lawndale from the list of zones, scroll down to see the highest star ratied hotel available in this zone (star ratings not offered in the zone will be 'greyed out' and not selectable)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $72.00

Subtotal: $288.00

Taxes & Fees: $51.32

Total Charges*: $339.32

Courtyard By Marriott Marina Del Rey

Santa Monica & Marina Del Rey

13480 Maxella Avenue

Marina Del Rey, California 90292

310-822-8555

Last week when I bid $60 PL wanted me to add $17 and rebid. I denied.

I started rebidding added $2 increments, changing dates (my end date was flexible), adding lawndale etc.

Finally today I won!!! I was crossing my fingers for the Doubletree. Oh well! Best part is free parking, free wireless, hot tub and pool!!! That saves me tons of money.

$139 retail price +taxes. Bargain.

Thanks for all the tips!

I used the PRICELINE link at your site.

Andie

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]