Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Hotel 41 MTS-Manhattan

thesqueegeekid
By thesqueegeekid,
in

OK before you think this was the overbid of the century ... let me just let you know that based on the taxes ($6.61), this cost PL only $50!!!

I was helping a friend bid for a 4* up to $95 and than 3* up to $80 and all were rejected. Finally, we added even more zones and bid again for 4*. Both of us have no clue how the 2.5* button got pushed but sure enough, thats what he got and no upgrade or inflated tax amount.

He was still happy though, his first PL bid and wanted anything for around $100.

Sorry to hear of your overbid.

I recall you getting this hotel before, and when i looked it up, your prior indication is that htis hotel is in the Mid-town SOUTH zone, yet this time you report it as the Mid-town WEST zone. Prior Priceline Win for this Hotel

Can you confirm if one is a typo or of Priceline redefined the zone boundaries?

From the Priceline maps it appears that 41st St is the dividing line for the MTS zone, yet the MTW zone appears to start at 42nd St. Much too close to call just by the map, can you double check the 'win' screen?

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for your friend, but if he's happy - OK.

I'm still trying to get a complete handle on how Priceline does upgrades, and this experience might provide some interesting research data.

Does the fact that this bid didn't get an upgrade mean that there's no MTS hotel (on this date) that has a price that is anywhere in between the $50 Priceline price for this hotel and the $112 he somehow happened to bid? In other words, a 3* bid for $112 in MTS was doomed to failure at the time of the bid?

Hi Willtravel,

I've been trying to figure out whether the Vacations product gives any indication of access to inventory for Hotel bidding, and so far it does appear to. The only 3* MTS hotel that comes up for 5/14-16 or 5/13-15 in the Vacation search (have to "vacation" for at least two nights) is the Sheraton Russell, which seems to have a fairly high priceline rate (it's the only one that's been coming up for my dates, and I haven't been able to get it for bids up to $95). In fact, there are only 14 hotels offering Vacation packages for 5/14-16 and 10 for 5/13-15 - pretty scarce inventory for NYC. I suspect that one can assume that PL Hotel rates will be higher in general when Vacation selection is low.

Ah, the psychology of PL bidding!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]