What small things do you like in a hotel stay.

powerplantop
By powerplantop,
in

I am curious what small things others like in a hotel stay. You know the thing that you can live without but you really like. For me it is a real glass and not a plastic one. I do wash them before I use them and recommend that you do as well. The plastic ones work but at the end of the day and I pour myself a drink I want a real glass.

Kleenix in one of those wall dispensers.

Heating and air conditioner controls that make sense.

A little bit of food. I arrived at a Holiday Inn in Moscow after the usual difficult overnight flight, challenges with obtaining rubles, public transportation in a different language, and then just finding the place. I was totally exhausted. Although I was hungry and thirsty and knew I couldn't drink the local water, I had decided to crash for a while first. On a small table was a plate with a paper doily. On the plate was an apple, a Twix candy bar, a complimentary bottle of drinking water and a knife for the apple. I still remember how absolutely beautiful that little still life arrangement was, and how much I appreciated it.

Those informative magazines about the local area.

A clock I can personally set for a wake-up call, or a system on the TV to do same.

An extra pillow and blanket.

Curtains that really close and black-out the light.

Romelle

Pillows... lots of them! I want them more for when I'm stretched out on the bed watching TV or reading. At least two bath towels per person. Free Wi-fi. And please do not charge me to make a toll-free call!

In resort type areas a selection of menus from nearby restaurants is really appreciated. A small refrigerator in the room is nice.

JB

I use the coffee maker when it is available. And for well beyond just coffee and tea, since with boiling water one can make soup and other various instant meals. I've even done instant oatmeal using the boiled water, an a large coffee mug for a dish.

I really appreciate finding the apparatus in a room. Especially since I usually travel by myself, and am not fond of wandering outside alone after dark in a foreign place.

With the refrigerator mentioned above, both breakfast and supper are very achievable.

Romelle

Kleenix in one of those wall dispensers.

Heating and air conditioner controls that make sense.

Good one. I love a thermostate that I can set a temp and not a dial of 63% of blue is good.

A little bit of food. I arrived at a Holiday Inn in Moscow after the usual difficult overnight flight, challenges with obtaining rubles, public transportation in a different language, and then just finding the place. I was totally exhausted. Although I was hungry and thirsty and knew I couldn't drink the local water, I had decided to crash for a while first. On a small table was a plate with a paper doily. On the plate was an apple, a Twix candy bar, a complimentary bottle of drinking water and a knife for the apple. I still remember how absolutely beautiful that little still life arrangement was, and how much I appreciated it.

Great example of a small thing that really makes a hotel stay.

• 2 weeks later...

1. No negative small things such as resort fees, pay water bottles, or other petty charges

2. If the property has a looseleaf room service menu, I'd like to have all the pages

3. Working batteries in the remote

4. Curtains that can black out the room

5. Electrical outlets that aren't behind the middle of the mattress

6. A laminated card with a map of the area immediately adjacent to the hotel showing all restaurants, shops, and services within 1/2 mile

7. Speed-dial buttons on the phone that are correctly programmed to reach the bell desk, room service, etc

8. A deadly-efficient lost and found that will retrieve and send me anything I might have left in the room, for a reasonable shipping charge

9. If the hotel is in the MFN there should be something to eat available 24H

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty much the only thing I need is wireless internet in the room. It's nice to have a resturant/bar on premises as well, go down and grab a bite to eat or drink and catch a ball game. And believe it or not, staff that are friendly make a huge difference. I was chatting with one of the security guards during a trip while waiting for a colleague to show up. He showed me their camera system, which was pretty neat(had the 360 swivel cameras with high zoom).

Well, it was evening and there weren't very many people in the pool area. Well he switches over to the pool camera where there's a guy sitting in between two girls hanging out, who eventually gets up and walks off, and the two girls start making out. We got a bit of a laugh out of that, and sorry if someone thinks it inappropriate(edit if necessary). But the fact he was willing to give me a digital walk through of their hotel via the neat camera system was pretty neat.

Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak and tempers the strong.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few things I appreciate are:

1. a bottle opener in the room. I remember being in NYC and after buying a case of nice cold beer there was not a bottle opener/corkscrew to be found in the room. I called to the front desk and they would send one up for a charge of $10. I've since learned to always carry a bottle opener when I travel.

2. Nice body wash, shampoo products in the bathroom. I go ga-ga over l'Occitane or Evelyn & Crabtree. Bliss isn't bad either.

3. Fluffy robes.

4. Plastic cups covered in saran wrap. I know its sounds cheesy but I've seen many of those "hidden camera" expos

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]