Priceline Hotel: 3* MTE Hotel Roosevelt $95

elvis4ever
By elvis4ever,
in

I've been having trouble bidding for rooms in NYC for my sister's graduation, 5/18-21. I entered the same dates for a priceline vacation, and none of the hotels that typically bite (i.e. MTE Grand Hyatt @ $75) came up. This seems to be wonderfully serendipitous. Has anyone else tried using priceline vacations as an indicator of priceline's access to hotel inventory? Does it seem to be a reliable strategy?

Thanks!

I would suspect diffiuclty due to graduation time... probably NYU, Columbia, Baruch, etc all around the same time.

How do the hotel's rates (thru Expedia, Orbitz, hotel website) compare to "typical"?

I haven't checked the Vacation product too much, so i don't know what availability is typically like. I do know that not all hotels that participate in Priceline also participate in the Package product.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick reply, thereuare! The fact that "not all hotels that participate in Priceline also participate in the Package product" is just the info I was looking for.

Rates do seem high for this period of time.

But there are still some great deals out there. Travelzoo.com has $95 rates at the Clarion 5th Ave and $89 at The Bedford, Hotel Pennsylvania has a $75 weeknight deal, and The Mansfield has a $144 a night rate (Sunday-Thursday nights) including parking.

I was just hoping to find something a little extra special for my parents since it's also their wedding anniversary, and they tend to be perfectly happy with a good price at the red roof inn. Club Quarters (midtown) is their old standby due to a business affiliation that usually guarantees good rates, but a reservation there is going for ~$175 a night during this period.

Just to throw another wrench into the mix, I'm also looking for rooms in New Orleans for a conference in June (8-13) and the following weekend on my own dime (14-16), and noticed that rates doubled (or worse) at a lot of hotels on Thursday night (International Arts Festival is that weekend). By running separate vacation package searches I found that 20 hotels were available for 6/8 - 6/12 but only 5 hotels were available for 6/13-16. Le Pavillon (CBD), my top choice, dropped out of the options on 6/12. I was hoping that I could use the vacation package option to determine whether Le Pavillon had given priceline access to inventory as my travel dates draw closer, rather than wasting enormous amounts of time bidding and rebidding for nonexistent rooms (and possibly spending extra $$$ to stay at the Renaissance or Intercontinental).

This also seems like a great tool for figuring out the best way to break up long stays for optimal bidding...but I could be wrong since I don't have any experience with it!

No harm in trying Priceline for NYC up to the time that your parent's back-up reservation is cacellable... i've seen Priceline have no availability one day and then have availability the next.

Have you considered Hotwire for this NYC stay? I don't know how high you're bidding or what the cost of your back-up is, but i ran the "mid-town" and "Times Square" areas for your dates and saw 3*-4.5* hotels for $113+. Compare the amenities offered to those show here: NYC Hotwire Hotel List. Keep in mind that there a multiple hotels in NYC whose amenities shown are: Restaurant, Fitness, Business, so matching those three is by no means a "sure thing."

I've heard negative things about the Pennsylvania, so be careful of that one.

Regarding your New Orleans stay, i would post at the Louisiana section, as board member 'Swag' is VERY knowlegable about the area and Priceline hotels and rates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the hotwire tip - I'll take a look at what they have to offer. I'll keep an eye on the vacations product and see if I can test my theory for both NYC and NOLA. I've also experienced the sudden changes in access to inventory (i.e. bidding for rooms in Baltimore for two months straight, then suddenly having hotels bite @ low end bids 8 days before the taget dates).

I've stayed at the Pennsylvania, and it provides no more than a basic room - nothing special. The backup rez is Club Quarters midtown @ ~$175/night.

I'll check out the Louisiana section of the board. I just posted that info here to illustrate my theory that the vacation product might be used to determine (changes in) access to hotel inventory and optimal points at which to split long stays.

Will post any success as it comes along!

The end of a long run of strikeouts for 2.5*, 3*, and 4* in Midtown NYC up to $95. Really happy with this hotel, especially during such a low-inventory period. Lowest hotel internet rate is $200 for 2 people (Travelocity prepaid goodbuy is $160). Reviews are great!

3* MTE $75 Rejected - added...

MTS $80 Rejected - added...

MT-CPS $85 Rejected - added...

MTW $95 - Accepted...The Roosevelt Hotel (MTE)

Your Offer Price: $95.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $285.00

Taxes and

Service Fees: $51.38

Total Charges: $336.38

Hate the variable booking fee. Shouldn't one expect to pay a set fee for services? Could Orbitz get away with charging a variable booking fee for plane tickets? Is there any way that one booking could possibly cost them more than any other booking? Hmmm...almost as bad as the mortgage industry's junk fees!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]