CA San Diego Hilton Del Mar

Guest aldo
By Guest aldo,
in

After a long day at Legoland, we arrived at the Hilton at 5:30 pm and were greeted by friendly Tony at the front desk. I had already spoke with him when I called after my win to request 2 beds, NS. He said nicely at that time he would note the request but no guarantee. My 2 bed NS room was pre-assigned and ready- room 1041. I asked Tony if I could earn Hhonors points for incidentals, and he was very apologetic, saying the computer didn't recognize additional room charges if it's a Priceline stay. There is a self parking fee of $11/day- $14 for valet. Our room was in the back, next to the freeway, but you couldn't hear any noise inside. The hotel is Tudor-style, and has a courtyard in the middle with a large pool and one jacuzzi. They have a restaurant and bar, along with room service, but we ended up eating across the freeway at Tony Romas (all you can eat baby backs for around $20- yum!). The room was in good condition, two queens, comfy mattress and pillows. Smaller bathroom, but it was clean. No Disney Channel or Nick (my 6 year old was disappointed), but they did have both Showtime and Starz. We ventured across the street to the Del Mar Racetrack, which was having their yearly "Holiday of Lights" celebration. They set up light displays on the in-field and you drive your car around on the racetrack to see them. Admission includes hot cocoa and a ride on a huge ferris wheel. It's quite festive. We were very pleased with this hotel- the location was perfect for what we were looking to do, and it was well worth the $41 we paid.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from staying at the Del Mar Hilton. Loved it! My husband and I live in San Diego but just wanted a weekend get away from home without drving too far. Won this Hotel on Price line for $48 a nite for 2 nights. Had no complaints, Beautiful Hotel , Rooms were nice and Lobby was a nice place to hang out at in the evenings with a fire in the fireplace. We might just have to return again when we need another close get-away. Parking was $11 a day. Still a great bargain for this Hotel.

Currently staying at this hotel also, and must say that the value is great. Paid $32 for our stay here, also got one of the freeway-facing rooms (even though we had to move after being assigned a smoking-room first and asking for a non-freeway room). Rooms are nice, however, both size-wise and by design. The hotel is also very responsive if you discover any problems - had a stainded showerhead that looked a little iffy, and after mentioning this to the front desk we had a brand new one in the evening.

We did have brunch at the restaurant today which was OK quality-wise (OK, but not great), but choices were a little limited (like no Jalapenos at their omlette-station, only one type of sauce with the shrimp etc.). Also in comparison to other hotel-brunches I had it seemed a little overpriced at $27.95 minus 10% discount for hotel-guests. Oh, and the champagne they served with it (OK, I admit I had a few glasses...;-)) was just a semi-dry (usually prefer a Brut) and a California one - so not the real thing.

As others mentioned parking is $11 a night, and there is no way around it - there is just no other place to park your car anywhere near. Nice thing is that there is a Albertson's supermarket on the other side of the freeway where you can get everything you need for your cravings. Also, as you most likely will have a car when staying here, there are quite a few places to eat around this hotel. Beach is in reachable distance as well - it is walkable by European standards, but for you Americans you might wat to take a car (could not resist, sorry, I took the car my self and it's about a three minute's ride). They have a pool in their inner courtyard that looked nice, but due to the heavy rains we were unable to use it. Fitness-center, however, looks nice and is free for guests.

Greetings - Dirk

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]