US Grant Hotel to Join Starwood Luxury Collection

TravelGuy
By TravelGuy,
in

Judging from reviews, the US Grant has been going downhill since Wyndham sold it to the Sycuan Band of Kumeyaay Indians a year ago. However, it looks like a dramatic reversal is in the works, as the hotel prepares to become a member of the Starwood Luxury Collection. Word is that the date the hotel will officially join the Luxury Collection, following $10 million in renovations, has slipped from this January to April 2005. However, the Grant has recently come up a 3* as low as $40 into late August, suggesting that there may be Priceline availability at that very low rate after the Starwood conversion is complete. This could be a really excellent deal in the making.

• 4 weeks later...

The word now from their website is that the Grant will be closed from January 31, 2005 until sometime in July 2005, and that the cost of renovations has jumped from $10 million to $26 million. I'm hoping that all the work will be wrapped up before my reservations in late August, so that I can enjoy the soon to be 5* luxury hotel for my $40 winning Priceline bid @3*. :)

• 4 months later...

I just got word from Priceline today that the renovations will not be completed before my stay in August. Although I'm disappointed that I'm not going to get to stay at the Grant, I'm very impressed at how Priceline handled it. First, they upgraded my 3* winning bid to the 4* Omni! They also sent me two e-mails, one with the details, another saying they had "made arrangements" for me to speak with a customer service representative, and on top of that they also called me.

Hello from the Canary Islands...

For all those of you who bid "far out" (Sept. - Oct.) in San Diego and won the US Grant Hotel, you'll probably now be offered the Westin Horton Plaza. Probably not a bad "walking". It seems as though the renovations at the US Grant will not be completed on time. We had won the US Grant at $45. per night from 20-23 October. Also have it (still - at the moment) post-cruise from the 6-8 November. We'll see what happens with that one!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I live in San Diego and work in the construction industry. I toured the US Grant about a month ago, they will be open in December - they are working like crazy to meet the deadline - and the wait will be worth it. They had several rooms completed and they are amazing. Very modern furnishing with the beautifully restored rooms. They have an artist on site who is creating "original" artwork for all the rooms. No expenses are spared on this renovation and it will truly be one of our best hotels in town. Even though I live downtown, I might splurge and spend a night there!!!

• 2 months later...

The U.S. Grant finally re-opened in mid October 2006! I visited the property last week, and as a historic preservationist I was sorely disappointed. They totally gutted the hotel lobby and restaurant, and removed nearly all vestiges of its 1910 historic character. Instead of historic class you'll encounter gaudy, anachronistic, Art Deco decor. Pastel, light blue velvet couches in the lobby, along with gaudy Las Vegas type carpets and giant chandeliers. The only historic element left is the tops of the Corinthian columns -- and even they were painted with splotchy (antiqued?) light blue paint. Rooms are small, especially for the price: $200-$300/night. The Courtyard by Marriott, down the street at 530 Broadway, did a great job of restoring the historic character of their building. Too bad the Indians couldn't have done the same with the U.S. Grant....

They removed the historic pools in the basement, and did not install a replacement pool. The pools in these old hotels were often jewels, and would have been a highlight, had they restored them. Sad...

The Grant Grill is now Art Deco, with all its original historic character removed. It is nicely done though, with dark wood floors, high ceilings, and silver deco trim. The hosts were very warm and gracious. Look for the bronze plaque on the wall from the 60's -- "Men Only", and the one that commemorates the 3 lady lawyers who challenged the policy and won admittance.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]