Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help: Burlington, WA

Neelee
By Neelee,
in

In the past, Burlington, Mount Vernon, and Anacortes were all in the same category. I typically stay in Mount Vernon and used the other two cities as free re-bid zones. Now it appears that Burlington and Mount Vernon are in it's own "category" and Anacortes/Oak Harbor in another.

I don't know why I'm panicking because I've been pretty successful in the past (thanks to members of Better Bidding). So I supposed I just need to bounce my strategy off someone. Last year I got 4 rooms at $35/ea at the Burlington Fairfield Inn (brand new 2* hotel, today 2.5*)

I need to stay in Burlington and will settle for Mount Vernon as a last resort. I need 4 rooms for 11/13-11/15

Tonight the option is Burlington/Mount Vernon with 2.5, 2, and 1 star options.

In checking the rates and re-studying the strategies from the Tips section of this board, I think I'm going to have to go this route:

Fairfield Inn web site - min. rate $119/nt

Holiday Inn Express (travelaxe) - $97/nt

BW Cottontree (travelaxe) - $104/nt

BW Collegeway (travelaxe) - $87/nt

2.5* @ $47 if rejected

2* @ $45 if rejected

1* @ $40

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed. I'm going book my regular stand-by, Tulip Inn, just in case.

Seems PRICELINE is making it difficult. That's just my opinion after all these years.

Thank you in advance.

PRICELINE regions are re-classified all the time, it's really nothing unusual. In fact, some major areas were just divided (vs. combined as in this instance) which makes it even easier to bid and re-bid.

With time on your side, why not book your back-up reservation (how much is that property?) and try a few bids at the 3* level over a couple of days, before lowering your star rating to the 2* level?

For instance, every 24 hours try for a 2.5* property: $37, $40, $43, $47. Assuming $47 is your maximum bid, make these 4 bids (over 4 days) then then try for a 2* hotel if that is rejected.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
PRICELINE regions are re-classified all the time, it's really nothing unusual. In fact, some major areas were just divided (vs. combined as in this instance) which makes it even easier to bid and re-bid.

With time on your side, why not book your back-up reservation (how much is that property?) and try a few bids at the 3* level over a couple of days, before lowering your star rating to the 2* level?

For instance, every 24 hours try for a 2.5* property: $37, $40, $43, $47. Assuming $47 is your maximum bid, make these 4 bids (over 4 days) then then try for a 2* hotel if that is rejected.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Just wanted to let you know that I've been trying this scheme since 10/19/09. So far all rejected. I have a backup plan and even bidded up to the $58 price of plan b (for both 2.5* and 2*) - every day rejected. But I'm not ready to give up yet.

Just wanted to let you know that I've been trying this scheme since 10/19/09. So far all rejected. I have a backup plan and even bidded up to the $58 price of plan b (for both 2.5* and 2*) - every day rejected. But I'm not ready to give up yet.

Did you look at hotwire? They have a 2* for $56 with a pool. I know nothing about Mount Vernon hotels, but you might be able to figure out which it is.

The Seattle hotel guy.... Stayed in 14 hotels downtown and counting!

Favorite Hotel Downtown: The Camlin Seattle (It's now a timeshare)

Did you look at hotwire? They have a 2* for $56 with a pool. I know nothing about Mount Vernon hotels, but you might be able to figure out which it is.

It would probably be no better than the backup, and would cost more after Hotwire's fees were added in.

Neelee, if you're going to bid as high as $58 (the cost of your backup), I would strongly recommend that you not settle for a 2*. The quality of 2* hotels on Priceline is too unpredictable to justify spending more (after Priceline fees) than the cost of the Tulip Inn.

It would probably be no better than the backup, and would cost more after Hotwire's fees were added in.

Neelee, if you're going to bid as high as $58 (the cost of your backup), I would strongly recommend that you not settle for a 2*. The quality of 2* hotels on Priceline is too unpredictable to justify spending more (after Priceline fees) than the cost of the Tulip Inn.

Yeah you are probably right. Just thought I'd throw that out there since I see the OP posted that they tried up to $58 for 2*.

The Seattle hotel guy.... Stayed in 14 hotels downtown and counting!

Favorite Hotel Downtown: The Camlin Seattle (It's now a timeshare)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]