Food For Thought: Is "Complimentary Breakfast" More Likely a

sgaz
By sgaz,
in

Is "Breakfast" an amenity more likely to be offered by a 2.5* hotel than a 3* (or up) hotel?

When I travel with kids even a continental breakfast is helpful on the budget. I have not ever requested less than 3* on Hotwire or Priceline. I don't recall ever getting one that includes breakfast. I've just planned to count some of what I save on the room toward the cost of purchasing breakfast at the hotel or elsewhere.

However, when I have stayed at 2/2.5* hotels they usually have included some form of breakfast.

Just wondering if I should consider gambling on a 2.5* hotel for my next bidding strategy. I know. I know. No guarantees. :)

A complimentary breakfast is more likely at a lower-end hotel than a higher-end property.

Keep in mind that if you're used to 3* and higher rated hotels, some of the lower rated hotels may or may not appeal to you. There are some lower rated hotels i'd look forward to staying at... but others that i would not, and with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE you don't get to choose which type you will get.

You may also want to consider HOTWIRE where you can look for the Complimentary Breakfast icon to know if that is an amenity offered by the hotel... it may cost you a little more than PRICELINE, but if you can be assured of an included breakfast it may ultimatley cost you less than if you bid on PRICELINE for less and receive a hotel without breakfast. As well, it sounds like you may be more than double occupancy, and HOTWIRE will enable you to search for up to quad occupancy per room (PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy) which is another aspect to consider.

Ultimately it comes down to what you look for and what is important for your stays, and how easily you can handle "adversity" should you find fault with the hotel received.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...
Is "Breakfast" an amenity more likely to be offered by a 2.5* hotel than a 3* (or up) hotel?

When I travel with kids even a continental breakfast is helpful on the budget. I have not ever requested less than 3* on Hotwire or Priceline. I don't recall ever getting one that includes breakfast. I've just planned to count some of what I save on the room toward the cost of purchasing breakfast at the hotel or elsewhere.

However, when I have stayed at 2/2.5* hotels they usually have included some form of breakfast.

Just wondering if I should consider gambling on a 2.5* hotel for my next bidding strategy. I know. I know. No guarantees. :)

Welcome to the hotel industry! The fancier the hotel, the less value you get! Holds true for parking, breakfast, internet access, even the number of channels on your TV. Go 2.5* ! !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In my experience, the 2-star hotels on PRICELINE may be an Extended Stay places. These places offer a basic, but comfortable room, but breakfast is never included. I have received breakfast at many other two-star properties, such as the Fairfield.

1-Star properties such as Days Inn usually do include some type of breakfast. It may be just basic continental, donuts, cereal and coffee, possibly do-it-yourself waffles. Sometimes 1-star properties are the Extended Stay Crossland, a very basic room, also with no breakfast.

I love a good breakfast buffet, but there is no way to guarantee that you'll get one. You should take it as an extra bonus when you do, rather than something you come to expect.

Your best bet is to bid in the 1 - 2.5 star levels if breakfast is important to you, realizing however, that that is no guarantee of getting a hotel with breakfast.

PRICELINE bidding is good training for being happy with what you get. it's a tremendous bargain, but it's the luck of the draw and it's up to you to make the best of it.

Keep in mind that Extended stay does offer you a kitchen, so you can save money by heating up your own food. But, PLEASE don't leave your dishes for the hotel staff to wash. They are underpaid and overworked and don't have time to do your dishes. In fact, most places add an extra charge to your bill if you leave your dirty dishes in the sink.

No kidding. I _HATE_ that feature. I want the star level I bid on

and no higher.

Yes, I HATE it when they keep upgrading me to the Crowne Plaza or the Hyatt Regency when what I really wanted was the Motel Six! :)
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Im starting to feel that its pointless to even go for hotels with free breakfast anymore, and do much better off in a suite where I can make my own breakfast.

Some hotels like the Hampton Inn and anything about a 2 star usually serve breakfast until 10 am or even 11 am. But lately I've been at 2 stars and miss breakfast nearly everytime because it ends at 9 am. And then, you wake up early just to get pastries and hard boiled eggs.

Its like, not everyone wakes up before 9 am...and when I was at the Hampton Inn breakfast was served until 10 am, and they wouldn't even start cleaning til 10 min. after. That extra hour allowed me to get to breakfast 4 mornings in a row...and it was hot breakfast with meat and everything.

I just get so sick of these hotels ending breakfast at 9 am, and then lock everything up. I feel like Im back in High School or something..they treat adults like High School students and thats sad. I mean, I know its free breakfast, but free doesn't seem worth it most times. I might as well stay at a Mariott and go to Denny's if I want to save money because thats what I end up doing anyhow

One of the last times I stayed at a Hampton Inn, they had a breakfast in a bag that you could order if you were leaving before they started to serve. Perhaps you could make some arrangements with the front desk to have a breakfast saved for you if you wake up after they stop serving. If you're nice, they'd probably accommodate you.

The last time I stayed in a Hampton Inn, I complained via email because the Jacuzzi in the room was so small, and we paid extra. They ended up comping the room entirely! So they do want to make the customer happy.....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]