Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) Hotel Nikko

iigaus
By iigaus,
in

Hi,

Im new to PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, and have just discovered this forum.

Im travelling to San Fran from Sydney for a holiday from 24th to 31st October and would like to know the best bidding strategy for this period.

Ive visited SF a few times in the past so Im fairly familiar with the city and its public transport. In that respect, I dont have a strong preference as to areas in which to stay, other than I would prefer 4* or a good 3.5*. Im also happy in staying in a couple of hotels during the week, but obviously not moving to a different hotel every night.

Given I need accomodation for a week, is it better bidding for the whole 7 days or splitting my bid into, say, two seperate periods. Which strategy would give me the best chance of success and price? And are there any other tips that would be useful?

Thank you.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Whether to split your stay or not depends upon rates for the dates of your stay in the areas you select. Is any zone in San Francisco acceptable or are you focusing on the Downtown areas? Airport? Fishermans Wharf?

Please let us know the zone(s), by PRICELINE name, that you're willing to accept and we'll take a closer look.

What is your budget (per nite before taxes and fees) for this stay?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the welcome.

Im faily flexible as to area, but would like it to be in the city. Using the PRICELINE names these are called:

- Civic Centre

- Financial District - Embarcadero

- Fisherman's Warf

- Marina - Lombard Street

- SOMA - Moscone Centre

- Union Square East; and

- Union Square West - Nobb Hill

Regarding budget, I would prefer around the $100 mark (pre taxes & fees) for 4* or $75 for 3.5*, but again can be flexible if need be.

Thanks

There is a fairly substantial rate change that takes place during your stay, so if you are willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID then i think the mostly likely scenario is to split 10/24-10/27 and 10/27-10/31, although i will warn you in advance that the first three nites of this stay are going to be TOUGH and you're likely either going to have to increase your budget substantially or look to outlying zones (such as the Airport)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ive just had a look at the Calander of wins and noticed that the wins appear to be in the back end of that week.

As Im not too keen on staying out at the Airport, I guess my next best option is to split my stay into two halves/two hotels and raise my budget for the first few nights to "the best I can get" rather than a specific dolar amount. Is that a resonable way to go?

Is that a resonable way to go?
For the most part, except you should have some number in mind where it just isn't worth it and the savings would be worth the inconvenience of staying further outside of the city. This 'number' is different for everyone based upon cost, value, convenience (ie- my number is much lower than my wife's :) )

For example, if looking at worst case scenario for 10/24-10/27... HOTWIRE has NO hotels available in USE, NONE in USW, onluy 1 in the Embarcadero, and 1 in Fisherman's Wharf (a 3* at $205/nite). Would this Fishermans Wharf property be acceptable, or can you find an acceptable hotel direct purchase for 10/24-10/27?? (you should have an idea your 'back-up' plan for these dates to make sure it's feasible should 'push come to shove')

Does that make sense? Thoughts on the about 'what if' scenarios?

...if looking at worst case scenario for 10/24-10/27... HOTWIRE has ...1 in Fisherman's Wharf (a 3* at $205/nite). Would this Fishermans Wharf property be acceptable, or can you find an acceptable hotel direct purchase for 10/24-10/27?? (Does that make sense? Thoughts on the about 'what if' scenarios?

My back up plan is definately purchasing a cancellable and refundable hotel room for those nights.

Having said that, a high buget for a couple of days 24-26th (say, $200 or so, as you mentioned above) would be acceptable, as this would be averaged down if I could get a great rate in the the other part of that week 27-31st.

If you want to begin by bidding for 10/27-10/31, what star rating do you want to try for and what is your maximum bid for this leg of your stay? Are all the zones you've listed above acceptable for this leg of the trip or do you want to limit to only some of those zone?

I would prefer to stick with 3* or above and for price, with $200 as a max for 24-27 and half that for 27-31, as this appears to be the prices for buying at a disclosed hotel via HOTWIRE for that night.

Also Im happy with all of the zones I previously listed.

I really appreciate your advice and assistance!! :-)

While the 10/24-10/27 dates will be more difficult, we 'know' that is available within your budget based upon the current HOTWIRE offers, so let's start with 10/27-10/31 since landing a 4* hotel at under $100 is more a question (since HOTWIRE offers are currently slightly more than that)

Of your acceptable zones, only the following offer 4* bidding:

- Financial District - Embarcadero

- SOMA - Moscone Centre

- Union Square East; and

- Union Square West - Nobb Hill

At the 5* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Embarcadero and SOMA

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USE and USW

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Embarcadero, SOMA, USE, USW...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congratualtions on your success!

Glad you got this leg of your stay settled and are happy with the results.

If you'd like help with the balance of your stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]