Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Napa-Sonoma (Napa) Marriott

gstoa
By gstoa,
in

With the only 'known' hotel at the 3* level selling for $300+ for these nites, i think there is a decent chance your 3* bid would be upgraded to a 3.5* level. Given you get an extra re-bid zone when bidding 3.5*, would you be willing to bid a little more for a 3.5* hotel vs. a 3* hotel? This way you could bid higher for a 3.5*, if that's rejected, lower your bid and try for a 3* property (in the same bidding cycle)... each time trying for a 3.5* at a slightly higher price and 'trailing' your maximum 3.5* bid for a 3* hotel. This sounds confusing to me too, so let me give an example (numbers just made up for now by example):

Day1:

3.5* bid $100, $105, $110 if rejected....

3* $90, $95

Day2:

3.5* bid $115, $120, $125 if rejected...

3* $100, $105

etc, etc

Does this seem like a good approach? It basically allows you to get the higiher rated hotel if it's within ~$10/nite of what you'd be bidding for a 3* hotel.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I am willing to pay more for a 3.5* for these two nights. I tried the following bid approach today and will try again tomorrow at $120 for 3.5* and $110 for 3*:

3.5* (Napa only) $110, rejected

3.5* (Napa only + Upper Napa) $110, rejected

3* (Napa only + Upper Napa) $100, rejected

You actually want to bid it a little differently than you did...

Are you famiar with re-bidding and able to identify your TWO re-bid zones at the 3.5* level adnd ONE re-bid zone at the 3* level?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Start with this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Feel free to ask any questions you have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board. If you're confused by the above and can't seem to get started just post back and we'll break it down further for you.

Thanks for your pointers. I read -- and re-read the rebid instructions and tried to make sense of them as it appears that Priceline has changed their user interface from the 2003 rebid posting. Before I bid again, I believe to have found the following inventory from the Maps view:

Napa Area

City=Napa

4*: 2 hotels

3*: 4 hotels

2*: 6 hotels

Upper Napa Area

City=Yountville (no hotels found at any stars)

City=St. Helena (no hotels found at any stars)

Sonoma Area

City=Sonoma

4*: 2 hotels

3*: 1 hotel

Are there any more current rebid instructions or additional advice?

It appears you're trying to use the "retail" version of PRICELINE to determine your re-bid zones, which is not correct. Click this PRICELINE link, enter your city to go to the location you want, then follow the information below...

Use the following info from Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a PRICELINE page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

See if you can list each of the zones within the Napa region and the highest star rating available in each, using the technique in the quote box above.

If you're confused just post back and we'll break it down further.

Yes, thank you for helping me out on this one! I was able to successfully follow your instructions and found the following:

Napa: 1-4*

Upper Napa: 2-2.5*

Sonoma: 3-4*

Fairfield: 1-3*

Santa Rosa: 1-3.5*

Can you please confirm that I use the following bid technique in this order?

Area=Napa

Star Level: 3.5*

Bid = $100

assuming that this is rejected, then I press the Back button and re-bid as follows:

Area=Napa and add Upper Napa

Star Rating=3*

Bid=$90

Is this correct?

I believe I've finally figured this out. Here are my bid and re-bid attempts today:

Day 1 attempts:

4* $125 Napa = rejected

4* $145 Napa + Upper Napa = rejected

3.5* $120 Napa + Upper Napa = rejected

3.5* $130 Napa + Upper Napa + Fairfield = rejected

I'll keep incrementing my bids up by $10 until I get something.

During any of your 4 bid attempts today at 4 and 3.5 levels, did Priceline ever come back with a counteroffer? If you're not familiar with counteroffers, Priceline occasionally responds to one of your bids suggesting that if you bid a certain amount (often for something around $20) more than the amount you had just bid) they can get you a hotel. These counteroffers more or less mean "you're getting close". So I'm just wondering if you've received any counteroffers in your latest bids?

Congratulatons on figuring out the re-bidding... but always check each day just before bidding ot make sure that nothing has changed and no new hotels have been added/upgraded which would make any of the zones no longer qualify as a re-bid zone.

Also, you can gain an extra re-bid as follows:

4* Napa

4* Napa + Upper Napa

CLOSE BROWSER and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

(by closing the browser it allows you to UNcheck Upper Napa, and try for 3.5* Napa (with no other zones select) thus giving you one extra re-bid zone in the cycle)

3.5* Napa

3.5* Napa + Upper Napa

3.5* Napa + Upper Napa + Fairfield

Hope the above makes sense, if not feel free to ask any questions or for help.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I did receive a counteroffer in my attempt today. I know Napa is a high demand area but I'm beginning to wonder if there are really any deals to be had here. I'll try again tomorrow and try $200 for a 4*.

Day 2 attempts:

4* $160 Napa rejected (counter offer at $291/night)

4* $170 Napa + Upper Napa rejected

4* $175 Napa + Upper Napa + Santa Rosa rejected

3.5* $140 Napa rejected

3.5* $150 Napa + Upper Napa rejected

3.5* $160 Napa + Upper Napa + Fairfield rejected

4* $195 Napa rejected (counter offer at $291/night)

4* $205 Napa + Upper Napa rejected

4* $225 Napa + Upper Napa + Santa Rosa rejected

4* $240 Napa + Upper Napa + Santa Rosa + Fairfield rejected

3.5* $180 Napa accepted (Marriott Napa Valley)

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $180.00

Subtotal: $360.00

Taxes & Fees: $54.96

Total Charges*: $414.96

The Marriott site shows the "look no further" lowest price at $274/night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]