Priceline Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey) Doubletree Guest Suites

purefct
By purefct,
in

I researched 3* Los Angeles (Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey) Courtyard Marina del Rey, I've seen people post they are getting the rooms for $70-$80/night, including Fri/Sat stays. I've been bidding for 9/16/09-9/18/09 for the 3* and as of today my highest bid of $80 is still rejected. Will be bidding more tomorrow ...

BTW, does anyone have any theories how the "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" message might indicate a price which will be accepted? I noticed the Santa Monica 4* bid will have the notice for prices below $124/night and a lady posted she got the Delfina for $135. I of course am bidding on the 3* where the "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" message dissappeared on 19-Sep-09 at $61 and between the 20th to now it fell to $57. But I'm up to $80 on my bid without success which is a $23 premium over $57 whereas the lady won with only a $11 premium on the 4*.

My notes so far:

19-Sep-09

4* (Delfina?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $124, I bid $95, $97, and $101 without success

3.5* (Marriott Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $124, I didn't bid

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $61, I bid $57, and $65 without success

20-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $65, and $69 without success

21-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $69, and $75 without success

22-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $75, and $80 without success

Technique

I looked at each region to see the hotel ratings available.

Santa Monica and most others listed all ratings levels

Culver City had ratings 1, 2 and 3

Lawndale had ratings 1, and 2

Redondo had ratings 1, 2, 3 and 3.5

I could have used the three regions for bidding on the 4*

I used Lawndale to allow me to double bid on the 3* each day

Sounds like I'm supposed to use the link to PRICELINE from BetterBidding. Does the link help with prices, or just to track my bidding?

Anyway, I used the link to PRICELINE and I noticed the address has "Promo" in it so instead of bidding higher I bid lower; $70 and $76 ... still no successful bid.

BTW, does anyone have any theories how the "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" message might indicate a price which will be accepted? I'd like to hear from some of you with info showing the price where this message goes away, the hotel rating, and the successful bid.

My notes so far:

19-Sep-09

4* (Delfina?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $124, I bid $95, $97, and $101 without success

3.5* (Marriott Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $124, I didn't bid

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $61, I bid $57, and $65 without success

20-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $65, and $69 without success

21-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $69, and $75 without success

22-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $75, and $80 without success

23-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $70, and $75 without success, even though I used BB link

The 'low chance' message is meaningless and shouldn't be used to determine your bidding strategy.

What is your maximum bid for this stay? (at each star level if different) What star level do you prefer? What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to being your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So has anyone ever reported winning a bid below the "Small Chance" amount? I understand if it can't be used as a guage to start bidding close to the accepted price, but if no one wins when they bid below the "Small Chance" amounts THAT is a strong indication where not to start.

When you ask "What is your maximum bid for this stay? (at each star level if different) What star level do you prefer? What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?" I feel the pricing thru conventional channels (while setting the max price to pay) is not my guide for Priceline bidding either.

I guess you're saying a better gage of the winning threshhold price is the feedback provided by members of this site. Oddly though, I do not recal ever securing a successful bid as low as other people posting for similar star levels, locations, and sometimes dates. This is only my second or third time posting results of my bids but I have reviewed this site before bidding maybe a dozen times. Granted, I've never seen another post for the same dates I want at the same time I'm searching. But you'd think out of a dozen times I could get a lower price some of the time!

So has anyone ever reported winning a bid below the "Small Chance" amount? I understand if it can't be used as a guage to start bidding close to the accepted price, but if no one wins when they bid below the "Small Chance" amounts THAT is a strong indication where not to start.
Users have won at bids below the "small chance" message, which is why we suggest that it's meaningless. :)
When you ask "What is your maximum bid for this stay? (at each star level if different) What star level do you prefer? What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?" I feel the pricing thru conventional channels (while setting the max price to pay) is not my guide for Priceline bidding either.
So how do you determine your maximum bid to be on via PRICELINE? I suggest finding your best available deal thru conventional methods, then discounting a certain percentage from there in exchange for the 'unknown' factor. For some this will mean a 50% discount, for some 25%, for some $10, for others $50, and for others they're happy with any savings over a conventional booking.
I guess you're saying a better gage of the winning threshhold price is the feedback provided by members of this site.
Not necessarily, as rates are date specific, which is why it's important to look at hotel direct rates for your particulate nites, as per my comments above. It doesn't matter if 'everyone' typically wins a specific hotel for $50... if the hotel is near capacity and/or has much higher than usual rates for the dates i need, then $50 isn't likely going to do it for my particular stay.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

PS- your dates above mention your stay as 9/16-9/18, but these dates have past, please let us know the actual dates of your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My Bad, doing too many things at once on a regular basis. Yes, my dates are actually October 16-18 2009. Thanks for the responses, they help! If this hotel was the Courtyard, the best conventional rate I found was $145 for the 16th and $150 for the 17th. HOWEVER today I won at $90 for Doubletree Guest Suites Santa Monica. I now undeerstand the higher rate, the Doubletree is of course more expensive than the Courtyard. The best conventional rate I could find for this resort was $177.65. Coincidentally the Doubletree is where my wife's conference is at so she's happy!

Final Notes:

Doubletree Guest Suites Santa Monica

Santa Monica & Marina Del Rey

1707 Fourth Street

Santa Monica, California 90401

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $90.00

Subtotal: $180.00

Taxes & Fees: $34.90

Total Charges*: $214.90

19-Sep-09

20-Sep-09

21-Sep-09

22-Sep-09

23-Sep-09

3* (Courtyard Del Rey?) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $70, and $75 without success

24-Sep-09

3* (Doubletree Guest Suites Santa Monica) "Small Chance your bid will be accepted" disappeared at $57, I bid $84, then $90 with success!

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like this works out quite well for your needs, and a very nice rate too! Throw in some chocolate chip cookies and we'll call it a very nice win!

Thanks for sharing your win with the board.

If you didn't, please remember to use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchase.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]