Priceline Hotel: Failed Bids - 4* San Francisco Oct. 6-12 President's Cup

brucerob
By brucerob,
in

I made a San Francisco USE Pricline bid Bid of $65 which was rejected for 4 star hotel

I saw someone else today who had done this and did the following and got the Grand Hyatt

"Added a free rebid zone, increased bid by $1 and accepted at $66."

I did that adding SOMA and $66, however my second bid was also rejected. Could it be because my stay is not until October (Oct 7 - 12) or because I wanted 5 nights instead of one, including a weekend?

Bid placed through BetterBidding link to PRICELINE.

You are correct. Because I was successfull getting a $66 rate for one night in July has no bearing on what rate the Grand Hyatt has determined for your October dates. Several factors determine what rate a hotel will set to sell via Priceline. Also, there is no guarantee any hotel (Grand Hyatt or otherwise) has given Priceline access to inventory for your October dates. Let's say, for example, that there are several large conventions in town when you're planning to be there. If the hotels feel they will sell out, then chances are they aren't going to need to liquidate any inventory to Priceline at all, let alone at $66.

Lucikly, time is on your side since your stay is still a couple of months away. Persistance will usually always pay off!

One more thing ... I noticed you added SOMA zone for your second bid. Since SOMA has 4 star hotels, that's not considered a free rebid zone. A free rebid zone is any zone that does not offer 4 star bidding in this case (such as Civic Center, Marina, etc). Had a 4 star SOMA hotel had a $66 Priceline rate for your travel dates, you would have been awarded a hotel in that zone. Bidding the SOMA zone is okay if you're okay with staying in that zone, but it's probably best to exhaust your free rebid zones before you include zones that offer the same star level as the zone you're trying to target. I hope that's helpful to you in your future bidding.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info... I am be out of luck since the President's Cup golf tournament is being held at that time at Harding Golf Course in SF.

Maybe I should book a good place now that will allow cancellations and and then hunt for deals when the date gets closer?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you'd like to read more about re-bidding, and how to determine your re-bid zones, you can do so here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Feel free to ask any questions you have and, as your new to re-bidding, it's strongly recommended you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding (TIP: you have FOUR re-bid zones when bidding 4* in the San Francisco area)

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I bid for all of these areas that have 4* hotels:

Yes 4 star

San Francisco (Financial District-Embarcadero)

San Francisco (SOMA - Moscone Center)

San Francisco (Union Square East)

San Francisco (Union Square West - Nob Hill)

I upped my bids by adding these areas that do not have 4* hotels

No 4 star

San Francisco - Civic

San Francisco - Financial

San Francisco - Fisherman

Just a quick look at rates (so i may be off a little but the following will tell us your thoughts as to your next step and we can then research if the above is accurate or not)... I'm guessing a 4* would cost you ~$200/nite +/- $20/nite.... a 3.5* might be had for $125-$145.

Is the 4* worth the extra money to you vs. a 3.5*? Would you want to pay these rates for a 4* or 3.5* and not have to change hotels OR would you prefer to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID and try to save a little more?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for that helpful info.

I am willing to split the stay 3 and 3. I think I will go (via your link) and try to book a 4* for the first 3 days at something under $150 which I should be able to do.

Then I will try to book the second 3 weekend days at a 4* for under $200 and if no luck then go to a 3.5* starting at somewhere around $100. (However I have heard the rooms at Sr. F Drake are small and not that good)

Does that sound like a good plan?

Further feedback?

Thanks, Bruce

I wouldn't necessarily try to split 3days/3days unless you have insight that is when the range change occurs.

I'd try to get as many nites taken care of in your first purchase, bidding for the following date ranges:

10/6-10/12

10/6-10/11

10/7-10/12

10/6-10/10

10/8-10/12

10/6-10/9

10/9-10/12

Any questions regarding the above feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you decide to proceed and how goes or if we can be of further help.

I decided to see if I could book the 4* for all dates 10/6 to 10/12.

I bid all the way up to $200 for these areas, still no luck.

San Francisco (Financial District-Embarcadero)

San Francisco (SOMA - Moscone Center)

San Francisco (Union Square East)

San Francisco (Union Square West - Nob Hill)

I think tomorrow I will try your suggestions about trying to book a longer block first.

Question: is there a list of Marina hotels, it is not in this link:

Priceline Hotel List

Thanks, bruce

I think tomorrow I will try your suggestions about trying to book a longer block first.
I'm not sure if you're aware but you don't have to wait 24 hours to bid a different set of dates. Or maybe your fingers need a break from all the bidding you've done already.
Question: is there a list of Marina hotels, it is not in this link:

Priceline Hotel List

There's nothing for Marina-Lombard in the Priceline Hotel List because noone has reported winning a hotel in that zone. 2* is the highest bidding option offered in Marina-Lombard.

After checking some date combos on Priceline, I realized that Saturday night was what was driving the price up

So I changed the date to 10/6 to 10/10 (Tues to Sat checkout) and bid on San Francisco (Financial District-Embarcadero) hoping to get the Omni or La Meridien.

I bid it up to $210 still no luck.

The Omni is available on Priceline for $271 for 10/6 to 10/10... I am tempted to just book it since I know I love that hotel, I stayed there last spring.

Then I could separately book Saturday and Sunday there for $329, whereas if I booked the whole 6 days it would be #329 for every night.

What do you think?

Bruce

You could do that... but it is a lot of money for a hotel room, imo.

For example, if you search HOTWIRE for the first 4 nites of your stay, there is a USW hotel for $187/nite, and 3.5* hotels in the USE and USW zones for ~$140/nite... so it depends just how much you want this particular hotel, if you're willing to consider a 4*, how much you view changing hotels an inconvenience, etc.

If you do choose to book the Omni thru PRICELINE's 'retail' division please use our Omni San Francisco link.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]