opaque vs. prepaid at hotel site?

RedmondFrank
By RedmondFrank,
in

I really like the Embassy Suites So.S.F. (although very disappointed that they seem to be charging $15 for self parking...was free for years.)

for oct.29-nov.1 I can tell that the property with amenities Airport Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), High-speed Internet Access, Kitchenette and 3.5 star Tripadvisor... is the Embassy ...

at hilton it's listed at $115 for prepaid FULL PAYMENT IN ADVANCE. NON REFUNDABLE.

unfortunately for the last night of the stay the hotel advance payment goes to $125... so the total there is

Taxes 43.79

Total 408.64

vs. hotwire total for those dates $327.00

Tax recovery charges& fees: $52.61

Total price: $379.61

so is it worth $29 savings to take the opaque path via HOTWIRE? probably.

just a couple of thoughts....if you book directly, using the Hilton link on the board, of course, you will get your Hilton HHonors points for this stay as well as double dip and get airline miles too, so it depends on how you value your points. You may also ask for a room upgrade by booking directly.

I'm not a big fan of the HHonors program as it seems like the redemption "cost" for Hilton's lower end properties such as Hampton Inns is 20,000 points or greater. However, for my double dip, I choose to get .5 Southwest Air credit for each stay, so I have to factor in the value for this as well.

Let us know how you make out.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]