Priceline Hotel: San Fran 10/10-10/12???

upontop
By upontop,
in

I am having the same problem for this weekend, fortunately I have a backup reservation at the Best Western in SOMA that is inexpensive. October is a busy time for conferences and this particular weekend is Fleet Week where the US Navy makes a port visit and the Blue Angels put on a show.

My bids so far:

Bid $85, 4* USE

Bid $90, 4* USE + USW

Bid $95, 4* USE, USW +SOMA

Bid $100, 4* USE, USW, SOMA + FW (free rebid, no 4* in Fisherman's wharf)

Bid $105, 4* + 3.5* USE, USW, SOMA and FW

Most rack rates have been around the $240 to $280 range in USE and USW so I was working my up to bid around $120. Guess I need to wait a little longer or go higher based on upontop's bids :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Between conferences/conventions and Fleet Week, many hotels, at the moment, do not need to dump excess inventory via PRICELINE. As we get closer, that can change if retail hotel bookings don't materialize as the hotels are hoping/expecting. As upontop did, book a retail rate that fits your travel budget, that you can cancel without penalty, and continue to bid on Priceline.

With regard to the bid history you posted (thanks for doing that) I'd like to make some observations and suggestions.

1. When raising your bid price while adding zones with the same quality level (4 star in this case), you may be overbidding (paying more than you need to). For example, you bid $85 for 4* USE only, but $95 for 4* SOMA. Had $85 been enough for a winning bid in SOMA, you would have overbid by $10. As you continue to bid for this stay, I would suggest the following bid strategy:

$85 - USW

$90 - Add South SFO (free rebid)

$95 - Add Civic Center (free rebid)

$100 - Add Fisherman's Wharf (free rebid)

$105 - Add Marina (free rebid)

Go back to PRICELINE home page and start over:

$85 - USE

$90 - Add South SFO

$95 - Add Civic Center

$100 - Add Fisherman's Wharf

$105 - Add Marina

Go back to PRICELINE home page and start over:

$85 - SOMA

$95 - Add South SFO

$95 - Add Civic Center

$100 - Add Fisherman's Wharf

$105 - Add Marina

Using the above strategy, you never bid higher for one zone at the 4 star level than another, eliminating the possibility of an overbid.

#2. In your previous bid history, you added (lowered) the 3.5 star category with your last (highest) bid. In theory, it doesn't make sense to bid $85 for 4 stars and $105 for 3.5 stars. This is a very common mistake, and can cause an overbid at the 3.5 level.

Good luck with this and let us know if we can be of more help.

Just visiting SF, thought USE, USW, FW would be convenient areas. Family vacation, traveling w/6 & 8 yr old so though it would be good to be close to the tourist stuff. We will be renting a car as we be going to LA etc. Rent a car = $$$ parking in SF but that's another problem.

SOMA area is South of Market street. From what I been told, heard it wasn't as safe???

Marina only has 2* - A # of years back we booked a 2* in the Carmel area and wasn't good. Figured we better sick with at least 3*.

Might end up near the airport as $$ could be the deciding issue.

Few days ago I also bid $140 for 3*- USE, USW, FW, FD--- rejected.

Learned a lot from forum, ie free rebids, etc thank you all but still no luck yet. Not in panic mode yet but taking some patience.

Thanks for the good tips Beav. When I bid again in a couple days I will return here to start the bidding process and try your suggestions.

How would you recommend I handle the bidding for the 3.5* category? Should I just go back to the Priceline home page and start a new bid for 3.5* and keep those bids separate from 4* ?

thanks again!

Thanks for the good tips Beav. When I bid again in a couple days I will return here to start the bidding process and try your suggestions.

How would you recommend I handle the bidding for the 3.5* category? Should I just go back to the Priceline home page and start a new bid for 3.5* and keep those bids separate from 4* ?

thanks again!

Yes, start a new bid at 3.5*, keeping them separate from 4*. Keep in mind, however, your free rebid zones will change at the 3.5 level compared to bidding 4*.

To both travelhead and upontop, are your travel dates exactly the same? Regardless, don't be surprised if a moderator separates this thread into two. That is merely to save confusion!

Continued good luck to both of you.

Yes, start a new bid at 3.5*, keeping them separate from 4*. Keep in mind, however, your free rebid zones will change at the 3.5 level compared to bidding 4*.

To both travelhead and upontop, are your travel dates exactly the same? Regardless, don't be surprised if a moderator separates this thread into two. That is merely to save confusion!

Continued good luck to both of you.

Yes, my travel dates are exactly the same - 10/10 to 10/12.

thanks!

travelhead,

Please do start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay as it will help keep things organized and avoid confusion as to what bids and star ratings you have tried vs. those that upontop has tried. As well, given the difficulty of this stay, one may choose to conitnue bidding higher, while the other decides to lower their star rating, and/or one may choose to seek out different alternate zones.

Feel free to post here with updates that may help the OP, but for specific info regarding your bidding, please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

SOMA is pretty safe especially closer to Market Street/section adjacent to Union Square. It does get shady heading towards the higher number streets, past 6th Street, and farther away from Market towards the water. If you pick a 4* hotel then it has to be in the good part of SOMA. If you try researching the possible hotels based on * rating in the SOMA area and feel comfortable that they are in the safe area then you might consider bidding for SOMA. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't realize the Marina only has 2* hotels. This is a really expensive residential neighborhood. Maybe that's why no big hotels?

Parking is tough in SF! Be sure to read all the parking signs and parking meter instructions if you are to park on the streets. Also, lots of one way streets and traffic can be bad in FD during the weekdays. Sometimes it's easier to walk to your destination if it's not too far or to take bart or muni.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]