Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Harrisburg (Hershey) Comfort Suites Grantvlle

rscima
By rscima,
in

O.K. I'm counting on all of you experts out there to help me! I'm trying to figure out which Hotwire hotel this is:

Location: Hershey, PA (Hotwire specifically says "Hershey area" not Harrisburg)

Dates of stay: 6/7-6/10 (3nights)

Star rating: 2 1/2* (this makes me nervous)

Ammenities: Suite (big red S), Fitness Center,Complimentary Bkfst, Laundry Facilities(self-service)

Price per night: $92

I originally laughed at the price & thought "yeah right". But I've unsuccessfully bid & free rebid the heck out of 3* Priceline for Harrisburg/Hershey to no avail. Was even rejected at $58+$10bonus! (Thank you Theruare for the bonus $$$)

Anyway, I was hoping someone might have a good idea of what hotel this is in Hershey. I may just book it through hotwire. I'ts definitely more than I planned on spending but I'm a little nervous about bidding PL for Hershey as it only goes up to 2*. I'm afraid I'll get the Red Roof Inn or some Motor Lodge (not acceptable to my husband & 2 small children!)

Thanks in advance for any clues & I will definitely post the "win" whatever it may be.

Try this - these are just possibilities.

Go to Google and do a search something like:

hotel Hershey Pennsylvania suite fitness center

Go to Switchboard.com. Find all businesses in Hershey with the word Suite in them. There are two: Springhill Suites by Marriott and Suite on Hershey. Then investigate each of these.

No guarantees of course :)

Hampton Inn & Suites or Springhill Suite

Both good guesses, but neither of their websites show avialability for these dates, so i'd think it's <yet another> hotel.

There also seems to be an abundance of hotels in this area that offer complimentary breakfast... more so than any other city i've seen.

There are a few Best Western Inn's and Suites in the area as well as Comfort Inn Suites, both of which i would add to the list of possibilities.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hampton Inn & Suites or Springhill Suite 

Both good guesses, but neither of their websites show avialability for these dates, so i'd think it's <yet another> hotel.

I had also thought Hampton or Springhill but came up with the same results - no availability. Also, hotwire doesn't list a pool as an ammenity. I thought this was a good clue but I'm beginning to think they accidentaly left it off.

If it's Comfort or Best Western, that would be fine but would feel better paying $92/nt if it was Hampton or Springhill. Ugh! Decisions Decisions!

I'm going to sit on it for a few days - don't want to take a chance on 2*priceline & I think I would like the hotwire choice even better than a 3*priceline (love having a fridge & micro in room with 2 kids - also love the continental breakfast for my "picky eater" kids!)

Again, I'll let you all know what happens when I decide to do something.

Thanks!

The Springhill Suites in Hershey doesn't list a fitness center (so far as I can see). The Hampton Inn and Suites in Hershey says it has an exercise gym. Maybe phone up the Springhill Suites, the Comfort Inn, and Best Western, and confirm this point.

Also, did you try looking on Orbitz and using Suite in the Hotel Name - for example, what about Rodeway Inn and Suites (although no fitness center I can see listed there)? But several hotels come up when you specify Suites in the title on Orbitz for Hershey.

This is like a good mystery!

This is like a good mystery!

Well, I'm glad you're as intrigued as I am!

I've called Springhill: Same results I got online, no availability. They do however have a fitness center AND a pool. Also checked Best Western Inn & suites: No pool or fitness center BUT and they have rooms AND suites. ( I would think with hotwire's little red "S" that means it's an all suite hotel...otherwise they could put that icon on just about every hotel right?) Rodeway Inn & Suites has the cont. brkfst but also an indoor heated pool...the mystery continues!

I'm going to try PL 3* one more time tonight & if nothing is accepted, I'm getting really tempted to try the HW $92/nt offer. It better not be the BW hotel & suites as they are listed at just $75/nt on their website.

Again, I will let you know what happens either way! I sure hope all of this craziness ends up helping someone else in the long run...my husband thinks I'm nuts! He just doesn't get it! lol

Well, at least if it turns out to be the BW you can take advantage of their "Double the Difference Guarantee" and get $34 back

That's funny! I thought about that too but I wonder if anyone has ever gone to the trouble to follow through with that. I would think it's a pain in the butt to get ANY money out of them! I can just hear the customer service agent on the other end of the line laughing at me...& my husband laughing at me in the other ear!

I have given up on 3*PL. It's amazing how many free rebids there are there!!! I rebid 10 times in all! Without any bonus $$$. Got to my breaking point at $80/nt & was still rejected! Yikes, what a tough zone! I'm going for the hotwire at & $92/nt. Wish me luck. It sure as heck better have a fridge & micro in the "suite". This should be interesting!

I too figured getting the Double the Difference Guarantee would be a hassle, but i've heard it's pretty easy of a process (although i've never done it personally).

In fact, read the first post in this thread regarding a Hotwire Hotel Story

This isn't the first story in which i've heard of the user buying the Hotwire hotel just to take advantage of the Double the Difference.

A bit risky to say the least, but interesting none-the-less.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

O.K. I did it. I couldn't stand it anymore & went with the HW $92/nt offer. I'm so glad it's over & we definitely know where we're staying now. I'm tired & I'm going to bed. Goodnight......oh yeah, you probably wanted to know what the hotel is after all that! lol

Are you ready? Drumroll please.......It's the Comfort Suites in Grantville. First thing I said is where the heck is "Grantville"? Turns out it's actually 6 miles NORTH of Hershey. I can't complain, HW did say Hershey "area". I'm happy with it. Would have loved Summerfield Suites or Hampton but as said previously - no availability. Funny thing is this Comfort Suites has a pool but no fitness room-not that I care, I have a pool at home & will definitely NOT be working out while on vacation...in Hershey of all places! I think the ammenities icons on HW are starting to have the same reliability as the star ratings...NONE! Anyway, I'm tired from all this thinking & must go to bed now. Theruare, let me know if you want the win posted anywhere specific. There doesn't seem to be as much of a database of HW hotels as PL.

Thanks everyone for all of your detective work. Looks like they stumped us on this one! But I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Will let you know for sure on return.

Oh, one more thing. It seems HW "lumps" their fees in with the taxes so I guess we can't figure out what they paid for the room like we do with PL? Maybe I don't want to know anyway! (The total taxes & "booking fees" were $30.95 that's for 3 nights at $92/nt). Checked Comfort Suites Grantville website & cheapest was $149/nt I think. I will research it more tomorrow & exhaust all possibilities to make sure I don't qualify for the double the difference guarantee!

Thanks for reporting.

I bet if you weren't happy with this you could probably "get ot of it" due to the lack of a fitness center, but it sounds like you're happy with the results (and it see the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave).

Seems like somebody may have messed up by swapping the fitness center and pool icons when they inputted the amenities into the computer.

Given the # of discrepencies (with location & ammenities) I think you could probably get at least a partial refund when you return if you're not happy with it. I also read somewhere about a hotel paying Hotwire guests the day use rate at a local gym when their fitness facility was closed for remodeling.

Most important, you definitely saved over the price on Orbitz and you got a nice place. Have a great time on your vacation!

For future reference, this hotel does come up if you go to Orbitz, put Hershey, PA in the Location box, put "Suites" in the Specific Hotel box, and click Search. There were a total of 6 hotels that Orbitz considers in the area that have "Suites" in the name. But even with that, the phantom fitness center would have prevented anyone from figuring it out.

Orbitz also says it's "6.9 Miles North of Hershey." I went to the map on Hotwire that displays the "Hershey area." Maybe for natives that would be easy to understand, but I don't think it's clear one bit! I don't see any scale markers for one thing.

I wonder how high the probability is that if any given hotel on Hotwire will also be on Orbitz with conventional rates, given that Orbitz and Hotwire have a partner arrangement? I would assume a hotel's first choice is to have someone buy the room at full price with Orbitz.

Given the # of discrepencies (with location & ammenities)

I'd like to point out that i DON"T think the location is a discrepancy.

Hotwire (and Priceline) clearly state that you can receive a hotel anywhere in the shaded region which (i assume) this hotel is. I admit sometimes the zone descriptions can be a little "fuzzy", but i don't think that it would be grounds for a partial refund. On the other hand, you could claim that you insist on a fitness center in your hotel for health reasons (and IN the hotel for convenience) and therefore this property was misrepresented.

There is a thread on the net bashing Hotwire, and IMO it's ridiculous. It started with a legitimate complaint where Hotwire's system crashed in the middle of a transaction and the user was told the order didn't go thru so s/he resubmitted, and therefore was charged multiple times since the original order did indeed go thru (or something like that). It's then followed by a bunch of replies like:

"i gave my credit card number and then they only offered me one flight schedule which i didn't like the time... customer service was no help and they wont' refund my money"

"why would anyone give their credit card before they know the hotel"

"i received a flight schedule taking 4 hours which should only take 2 hours"

Don't any of these people read before buying anything?

By the way, there are just as many similar webpages bashing Priceline, of which my favorite is, "i only saved $6 per room, where's the savings?" (to which i want to reply "well genius, why did you bid so much? didn't you do any research and find out prevailing rates in the area before you bid?")

I'd like to point out that i DON"T think the location is a discrepancy.

I don't think it's a discrepancy either. That's why I said HW specifically calls it the Hershey "area". I totally understand the chance your taking once you go for it & give them your cc# so I agree with you when you just shake your head at the "geniuses" that give their cc# & then complain about something.

I DID call the Comfort Suites this morning & they DO have a fitness center...darn! I thought I could complain that HW "misled" me by listing one when there wasn't one. They also have an indoor heated pool. Do you think I could get a partial refund with hotwire because I didn't want a pool? (No hatemail please - I'm kidding) I was also informed that the hotel was very full that night & that HW had me down for 1 king bed SMOKING! UGH! My son has asthma! The rep was very kind & said she could switch it to non-smoking but no rooms were available with 2 beds on the first night. That's o.k. with me because there is a sofa bed in the room. The kids will think that's cool! And if they don't, she said we could move to a room with 2 beds for the 2nd & 3rd nights.

So far, very good experience. Will report on hotel when we return.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]