Hotwire elimiates Drop-down City List

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Hotwire used to have you select the city you were interested in from a drop-down list, which was VERY ineffective if you wanted a small city and weren't quite sure of the nearest major city (as well as a pain to navigate if you wanted a city near the end of the alphabet).

As of today, there is no longer a drop-down box, and you can type the name of the city you're seeking into an input box. I tried a few smaller areas near my own hometown and Hotwire indeed was able to show me an accurate list of nearby cities.

I think this is a welcomed improvement and compliment them on their efforts!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

BUT now it is a crap-shoot to find a city that it recognizes. I tired some of the same towns in Long Island, NY that PL offers and Hotwire did not even redirect me to something close by. BUT I do agree, that drop down took along time and Hotwire also has many more offerings in each zone like Meadowlands, NJ.

BUT all in all, what is good is Hotwire when we get prices on PL that are 10 times better!!!

I still believe that Hotwire can be the better service for some people.

For those simpy looking for the best price, Priceline clearly has the advantage. However, here are some examples of when Hotwire may be better:

-traveling with kids and would like a pool for them

-want a hotel on the beach

-want a hotel with beach access

-want an all-suite hotel

There are a few others for those with differing needs.... and of course, there's always "for one Priceline turns down our bid."

Hotwire would do their business a world of good if they offered some bonus money or made a coupon available <yes, if you're reading this, that was a hint>

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I agree with your "hotwire is better" in certain scenarios but it leads me to a question.

I have read where with PL when winning a 'suites' hotel, they have still offered guests an oddball typical room which some hotels have just a few of. In this case, it is tough to argue as our PL agreement simply promises a deluxe room. I read an example of this with an Embassy Suites in Secaucus, NJ.

Because Hotwire displays the suite icon/ammenity, does this mean you are garaunteed the suite or can the hotel pull the same stunt on you??? I am assuming that with hotwire you have better grounds for disputing with the person at check-in.

Hotwire's suite icon reads: "Hotel features guest rooms that are designed for an extended stay or are more spacious than the average hotel room -- or both."

So i would think you're guaranteed the suite (or whatever the "typical" room is at the suite property), although we all know that we are ultimately at the mercy of hotel staff.

I've never bought with Hotwire (although I search it a lot), for whatever reason (mostly because Priceline always seemed a better deal).

After you do the Hotwire purchase, can you still see the Amenities you are supposed to be getting? Do they appear anywhere on your confirmation? How about the star level?

Perhaps you should take a screenshot of the Hotwire screen before you click Continue and get to the purchase screen, so you can prove that you are entitled to those specific amenities?

Another biggie of a difference in the new hotwire system is you no longer have to be registered or sign in to perform a search. This lets anyone off the street so to speak, come in and see what prices they have to offer. This is huge as many would have linked away not wanting to sign up for something before having a reason too. Hotwire for those that do not know PL is an amazing alternative for prices ... IF YOU are willing to gamble a little.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]