Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

Daniel
By Daniel,
in

I want to travel to NYC this month. And I plan to stay in Jersey city. I am so lucky to find this forum, so I decide to bid the hotel on priceline as you guys did. I found that many of you got the $37 good deal, and I tried for all the weekends in this month but I couldn't get it. Is it too late to get such a good deal for this month? Then how much I should bid? should I try nearby area? Hope to get some tips! Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Did you try every weekend in the month of Novemeber? Two nites, Fri-Sun each? Is there a specific reason your visiting this area that your plans are so flexible, or can this stay also take place anytime in December?

Let us know and we'll advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is peak time in NYC, and by association, a busy time for the Hyatt in Jersey City as well. Although many have received the hotel your trying for at $37/nite, none have done it for the weekends you're seeking (and it isn't for lack of trying, as this JERSEY CITY DOUBLETREE post can attest).

You may have success as a last minute bid, but i think the best you can currently do thru any source is about $100/nite... don't know if you're interested in that or not.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Then how do you think of DoubleTree? Is it a good place to stay? I would like to try $60 for 25--27 or 26--28. And my another question is that we are four people, and we only want to book one room. Do you

think that it is easy to get a two-bedded room in DoubleTree.

And how do you think of the nearby area such as Secaucus, how much I should bid for a 3* hotel there?

If you have the opportunity to stay at the DoubleTree for $60 and will commuting to Manhattan it is a much better choice than a less expensive room in Secaucus.

As far as four people in a room, it's a risk, and one that you will have to decide if you want to take. As this REVIEW points out, the rooms are not 'true suites' and some of the rooms have pull-out couches while others have couches that do not pull-out. There are additional comments HERE.

As in my last post, I tried to bid a two-night hotel, but I couldn't get it. So I decided to try seperately then I only got it for Thanksgiving Day. I think that I may give 11/26 another try after 72 hours, but the chance is tiny. Maybe I will spend another night at Philadelphia.

I really appreciate thereuare , who helped me a lot. But I feel very sorry that I forgot to use the SavingsBarn.com link. I just wanted to try and I didn't think that I can get it. However, I will bid another night and I will do a lot of travels in the future, I will keep in mind to use the link. This is a wonderful board and we should really do something for it.

BTW, best wishes to thereuare's family and the coming baby!

Thanks for thinking of us... we'll be here for your future travel plans as well.

Glad you got at least one nite taken care of... if you can't get a second nite at the Hyatt (it's showing sold-out on their website) maybe do the second nite at the DoubleTree? It's very easy to get to from the Hyatt even if you don't have a car.

If you want to eat locally i have arranged for 10% OFF at one of my favorite local restaurants (but order correctly... a lot of the food is 'ok' but the steak fajitas and 'the baja special' noteworthy).

Enjoy your stay... keep us updated on the remaining nite.

Daniel, I just checked Hotwire via Savingsbarn.com, arrive November 19, check out November 21, it appears that the 2.5* Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, a short block away from the Doubletree, has a rate of $93 per night including taxes and fees. I have stayed here twice and was pleased both times. The room has a small refrigerator and microwave, and a three burner electric stove, just in case you need to whip up a souffle :) They did not charge for parking as of my last stay in March '04. I would always pick this over the Doubletree. It looks like the Hyatt is also available at a mere $265 per night with tax and fees. :) There is a 2* property shown on Hotwire has not yet been identified, but I think it could be the Comfort Inn and Suites on Tonnele Ave, a neighborhood not for the faint of heart! (I may just have to "take one for the team" on my next trip to the area and book a room just to identify this property) In Secaucus, it looks like the Embassy Suites is shown for $190 per night including taxes and fees. This is a true, two room suite suitable for 4 adults. The Amerisuites is also shown and the walk out price is $110 per night. While still close to Manhattan, public transportation from Secaucus into the city is limited to the Bus. You can drive into the city, but as the holiday season approaches, I would avoid it at all costs, trust me, I drove in two years ago on a December weekend and my wife still does not want to return. You can also drive to Weehawken and take the water taxi into Manhattan, but I'm not a big fan of 40 degree water and 15mph+ winds!! From Hoboken, you can take the Path train into the city and be at Macy's in less than 20 minutes. You also get a great view of the city as well from Jersey City-Hoboken. Philly's nice, but you are about 2 hours away from what could be a memorable weekend in the greatest city in the world.....

Excellent comments!!

One note though is that i don't think the rooms at the Comfort Suites can accomodate more than 2 people. Now that Hotwire allows searches for up to 4 people in a room, the Candelwood Suites never appears when searching for more than two people... so this is one place that i would be very concerned about quad occupancy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]