Priceline Hotel: Orlando Area: Booking for 4 on Priceline?

canuckprof
By canuckprof,
in

I've had great success using HOTWIRE and PRICELINE over the last few years using (and recommending) this forum. I typically book Priceline when alone or travelling with my wife. I go with Hotwire when on the road with my two kids. I usually found Priceline to be cheaper and more flexibile than Hotwire which raises a question about booking for a family. What's the likelihood of being able to get a two bed or suite unit using Priceline in Orlando? I'm aware of the Priceline small print. I'm forced to travel over Christmas because of work so occupancy will be higher? Any opinions?

You know the "fine print" and you're going to Orlando at absolute peak time. Many hotels will have a high revenue.

Normaly we say that Orlando is a "pretty safe" area for familys. But i would like to know your dates, zone and star rating you're go to bid for before i answer. But my first feeling is no, go with HOTWIRE on this one.

Yes, occupancy will be higher at this time a year so i would book as soon your dates are firm.

Please post your thoughts and we'll go from that.

Yellowdog.

You could also search HOTWIRE for quad occupancy to get a feel for pricing. For this example let's assume that prices are $75/nite... you could then say that you'll use a maximum bid of $50/ntie as you're willing to take the risk for $25/nite... but once at $20 or less savings per nite it's not worth the risk (i'm not saying these should be your 'threshold' numbers, as they'll be different for each user depending upon risk tolerance, but just providing an example)

Please let us know your goals (dates, zones, star ratings, etc) and someone will be able to comment further.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the input. Our tentative plans are for a Dec 26 arrival with a departure the following Saturday. I find the algorithms used for providing rooms and pricing interesting. Last night there were half a dozen more returns than this morning. No doubt the number will change again. Is it best in this case to book as early as possible due to the business of the season?

Is it best in this case to book as early as possible due to the business of the season?

It's impossible to say, basically you need to 'know' what a good deal is and be prepated to take it when you see it.

The hotels know that this is a busy time of year and price their rooms accordingly, taking into consideration current reservations on the books and occupancy levels for these dates. If occupancy is ahead of projections, there will be little/no reason for the hotels to offer deep discounts to the opaque suppliers (prefering to hold onto the rooms themselves for now in hopes of selling them at full price), so may only offer marginal discounts (or none at all) to the opaque suppliers... similarly if occupancy is less than where the hotel feels they should be at this time, they will offer deeper discounts in hopes of filling the rooms. If they begin to sell a lot of rooms thru the opaque supplied and this now puts them in a 'strong' position with higher occupancy then projected at this time, they'll take that inventory down and/or raise the rates.

In other words, it's an ever changing situation based upon the ever changing supply and demand factors, while also taking into consideration time remaining to sell any unsold rooms.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you and your family will be flying to Orlando, have you looked at PRICELINE's vacation packages that include air & hotel (or air, hotel and rental car)?

If you enter 2 adults 2 children in the vacation package search, you should, at the very least, be guaranteed the same type accomodations with PRICELINE that you're accustomed to booking with HOTWIRE when traveling with the entire family. Although the air fare portion of the vacation package might be retail pricing (the same price you would get if you booked directly with the airline), you may find the hotel pricing to be very close to the 'name your own price' rates we see posted for opaque hotel-only purchases.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]