Priceline Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Hollywood) Hollywood Heights Hotel

whitethunder
By whitethunder,
in

Hey there, new to this board, but Id appreciate some assistance here for a friendly canadian...

I have used priceline twice in the past successfully, once in tampa, and once in vermont, but I am clueless as to what to do here in LA.

I am travelling solo and will be watching an event at the staples center on sunday june 23rd. I am flying into lax on friday aug 21st and will arrive at 1030am. I am leaving tuesday aug 25 at 11am, I will not be renting any vehicles.

A few questions, I need to know, is the best area to stay at downtown, as this is near the staples center where the even is?? I mean the hollywood area looks pretty close to downtown on the priceline map, should I stay there?? I would really like 4 star accommodations if possible. I wont have a car so I need to rely on public transit wherever I go, so something at least 10 min walk to a bus station or metro station or whatever would be preferable.

I am up to par with the bidding process with priceline, and see some recent accepted bids on here, so I am cool with that, but my main concerns are figuring out what area to stay and how to get around without a car...

Thanks for any assistance !!

Welcome to BetterBidding, whitethunder.

With no car I'll suggest Priceline's Downtown or Hollywood zones because those zones have the best public transit. Beverly Hills-West Hollywood has LA's largest concetration of 4* hotels but it's harder to get around that area without a car and the Metro train doesn't extend that far yet.

Even though Downtown zone is closer than Hollywood to your Staples Center event I think you'll find more to do in Hollywood, especially at night. It's a quick and easy ride on Metro from Hollywood to Downtown, and the train station is a short walk from both known 4* hotels in Hollywood. Since your Staples event is just one day of your four-day trip I don't see compelling reason to stay Downtown all four days, other than budget perhaps. You could also stay two nights Downtown and two nights in Hollywood.

4* Downtown are usually less expensive than 4* in Hollywood. What's your range for this trip? If you can swing $90-$110 I'd try for the 4* in Hollywood. (No guarantee those prices will be accepted....just a typical range). For less than $90 either try for 4* Downtown or 3* Hollywood.

Someone can suggest a strategy if you're interested.

Please use the BetterBidding HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links.

awesome, I appreciate the advice !! I forgot to mention one thing, I also want to check out the dodgers game one night, so I am not sure if that changes anything... If the public transportation in hollywood is real good, then maybe that should be my best bet?? Is that close to dodgers stadium??

I also want to check out a few bars, nothing too fancy, so would hollywood be my best bet?? I wouldnt be too adverse to switching hotels for sun/monday, maybe get hollywood for the fri/sat weekend then downtown for sun/mon nights to be bear the staples center ?? I only plan on bringing a carry-on with me, so would that be difficult to lug around using public transportation??

thanks !!

ohh forgot to add I was hoping to get the 4 nights downtown for 65 a night at a 4 star, Im on a smaller budget here, so maybe 90 at for 2 nights in hollywood on the weekend at a 4 star then move to a 3 start downtown for sun /mon??

public transportation is very spotty in most parts of los angeles. and, the transportation we do have, can get iffy during the late and early morning hours. if you would rather not change hotels for a couple of days, i would suggest staying in downtown l.a. there are 3 subway lines that eminate from downtown l.a. with lines ending up in hollywood, pasadena and long beach. you could walk to all three lines from staples center. and dodger stadium is about a 5 min taxi ride from downtown. there are also a couple of bus lines that run all day long and well into the night 2 blocks from the stadium. and as far as nightlife, l.a. has become soo much better in the evening. it really depends what kind of scene you want. there's touristy spots, high-end, artsy, music scenes, wine bars, etc. all within about 5 min of each other.

good luck.

The Metro doesn't run to Dodger Stadium but there are shuttle buses from Union Station (downtown) to the Stadium on game nights. I don't think the Dodger game is a reason to favor one zone over the other, as the time/expense will be about the same from either. And if you want to splurge the stadium isn't a long cabride from Downtown, as jonesyLA mentioned.

I wouldnt be too adverse to switching hotels for sun/monday, maybe get hollywood for the fri/sat weekend then downtown for sun/mon nights to be bear the staples center ?? I only plan on bringing a carry-on with me, so would that be difficult to lug around using public transportation??
If you decide to switch hotels managing one wheeled carryon on the Metro won't be an issue. You don't have to switch hotels if you don't want though, as you can get everywhere you've mentioned from either Downtown or Hollywood.

Not knowing you I don't want to guess if you'd be happier with the club and nightlife choices in Downtown or in Hollywood. There's some variety in both areas.

ohh forgot to add I was hoping to get the 4 nights downtown for 65 a night at a 4 star, Im on a smaller budget here, so maybe 90 at for 2 nights in hollywood on the weekend at a 4 star then move to a 3 start downtown for sun /mon??
$65 sounds a little low for a 4* Downtown, although it could be enough for a 3.5*. If a 4* Downtown is your first choice though you might as well try for it. Bidding is free.

$65, or a few dollars more, also sounds realistic for a 3* in Hollywood.

Once you decide how you want to do this, which dates where, someone can offer strategies.

cool that advice really does help, I appreciate it!!

I'm now thinking I don't want to switch hotels after all... So it seems getting to dodgers stadium from downtown is fairly easy, If it is also just as easy to get there from hollywood, I might as well just stay there.. Is that the case??

Also will the public transit be able to get me to the staples center and back from hollywood on a sunday??

I mainly just want to check out some local dive bars, like pubs, etc, on fri and sat nights, nothing to fancy, and do the tourist things during the day. The more I look into the list here of hotels, the 3* Hollywood Heights Hotel in hollywood would probably be enough to fit my means but the two 4* hotels in hollywood both sound cool too. So assuming I can still get to dodgers stadium pretty easily, and am able to get public transit downtown on the sunday, what would strategies for the 3* in hollywood and the 4* in hollywood??

thanks a ton

btw I got cheap 94 dollar flights each way to and from lax from buf hahaha this could turn out to a nice cheap 5 day vaca going here !!

I'm now thinking I don't want to switch hotels after all... So it seems getting to dodgers stadium from downtown is fairly easy, If it is also just as easy to get there from hollywood, I might as well just stay there.. Is that the case??
Getting to Dodger Stadium is about the same whether you stay Downtown or in Hollywood. Either way you take Metro to Union Station and catch the shuttle bus. Or take a cab.
Also will the public transit be able to get me to the staples center and back from hollywood on a sunday??
Yes. You can check the LA Metro Trip Planner and verify for yourself. Very useful website. Enter your start and end points, your travel date and approximate time, and it will tell you your public transportation options with schedules.

LA Metro Trip Planner

The more I look into the list here of hotels, the 3* Hollywood Heights Hotel in hollywood would probably be enough to fit my means but the two 4* hotels in hollywood both sound cool too.
Given your budget and itinerary I think the Hollywood Heights is a good choice. It's the only reported 3* in Priceline's Hollywood zone, but you need to be aware a new 3* could come up any time, or a former 2.5* could be upgraded and you could be the first to report it. Still I think it's *fairly* safe (not guaranteed) that if you win a 3* on Priceline it will be the Hollywood Heights.

Hollywood Heights is on Hotwire for your dates for $75. It's the Hollywood 3* with:

Nonsmoking, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center.

HOTWIRE also has a Hollywood 4* (looks like the Roosevelt) for $153. If you want to raise your bidding limit someone can give a 4* Priceline strategy, but 4* seems beyond your stated range for now. Priceline usually beats Hotwire on price, but not by 50%. Even if you don't stay at the Roosevelt it's fun to walk over there and have a drink or just hang around the lobby and soak up the Roosevelt's "Old Hollywood" atmosphere. You don't have to stay at the Roosevelt to enjoy it. (Or you could stay one night at the Roosevelt and three nights at Hollywood Heights....they're a few blocks apart).

You have one free rebid zone for 3* in LA, which is Lawndale. Lawndale only goes to 2* so you can add it to your 3* bids in other zones without risk of winning a hotel in Lawndale. Priceline never gives you lower quality than you bid for.

I suggest bidding $62 for a 3* in Hollywood. If rejected add Lawndale and bid $69.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link.

Good luck!

You can rebid the same parameters 24 hours from your final rejected bid.

Don't try fudging the 24 hours by even one minute because Priceline will reject your bid as a duplicate, which may reset the clock. That means you won't get to bid tomorrow and you'll have to wait 24 hours all over again. If you're not sure exactly what time you placed your final bid today then wait 25 hours, just to be safe.

The lockout period used to be 72 hours, not 24. That was rough.

Good luck tomorrow!

On HOTWIRE the Hollywood Heights rate jumped from $75 to $105 since yesterday! (The prices you see might be a few dollars higher or lower.)

What's odd is that HH's best rate online is the same as yesterday, at $169. (It's only $101 on Orbitz though.)

If you're willing to split your bid you could try $70 for just your first two nights, and then your last two nights, to see if you can get any portion of your stay accepted at HH now. You don't need to wait 24 hours to do that since you'd be bidding a different set of dates.

Or tomorrow bid a little higher for all four dates.

Downtown rates still look low so you've got a good backup if Hollywood gets too high for you. I wouldn't give up on Hollywood quite yet though.

How frustrating, especially since you could have bought the HH at $75 on HOTWIRE two days ago. (It's $102 on Hotwire now.)

Your alternatives include:

1) Purchase the HH on HOTWIRE for $102 now (or $101.40 on Orbitz).

2) Wait and see if the PRICELINE rate comes down. Try $70 for a 3* every 24 hours now.

3) Splilt your bid. I think you can probably win a 3.5* or 4* Downtown for around $55-65, for part or all of your stay. Maybe you'd like to try for two nights at a Hollywood 4* for around $100 (if available) and the other two nights Downtown for less. Your average rate over four nights would still be around $75-80/night.

I don't think I'd pay $102 for a 3* yet, since $102 might be enough to win a Hollywood 4* on PRICELINE.

Your thoughts?

I think you should take 24 hours to back-off from this simply because you're getting frustrated, can't keep your bids straight, and that's usually a scenario ripe for bidding mistakes to take place :)

Although you can't remember when you made your last bid, do you recall the bid amounts, dates, zones, and star rating?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

well I waited until I knew it was at least 24 hours from whenever I bid for anything (since I know I was out at this time last night lol), so I decided to bid 72 then 75 for the 3 start in hollywood, both bids were denied. I decided I would made a safety net reservation at the holiday inn express hollywood, which apparantly is right beside the hollywood heights hotel, for 150 bucks a night, fully cancelable up until 6pm day of arrival.

So I guess I will keep bidding around 75 bucks every day until I go and hope it finally gets accepted. If not I will just buy the hotel for the 99 bucks its showing at on HOTWIRE or bid 100 bucks for a 4 star in hollywood.

I honestly thought this would be the easiest part of my trip but its turning out to be the most difficult....

damn PRICELINE!! :) hahaha

Please note as per our support page that we are an affiliate of the Holiday Inn as well as most other major hotel chains and online booking agencies... please check for and use the links in our support page for your hotel direct and non-opaque reservations; and of course our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases thru each of those services.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You were smart to make that backup reservation somewhere else as I don't think you can count on Hollywood Heights coming through at $75 now, even if you're patient.

If you're willing to pay $100 for a Hollywood 3* then why not bid up to $100 for a Hollywood 4*, for as many nights as you can afford? I'm for the 3* if it's a considerable cost savings over the 4* but if the the 3* and 4* are the same price, or just $5 or $10 difference, then the 4* will be quite a bit nicer and the better value. Since you won't have a car the expensive parking at the 4* won't matter.

If you can get two or three nights at a 4* for $100 or less I think you can probably get your remaining nights Downtown for much less and still stay around $80/night average for the four nights. Or stay the last nights at a less expensive hotel in Hollywood. (As a point of reference Hollywood Motel 6 is $67.49 your last two nights and it's walking distance from the 4* Renaissance.)

Don't worry, whitethunder. You've got a backup reserved in Hollywood and Downtown is still looking cheap.

The Hollywood Heights is $98 on HOTWIRE now, a couple dollars less than time time.

Would you try $80 for a 3*? Your backup reservation is $150 at a hotel of similar quality. $80 would still be a good deal comparatively.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]