Priceline Hotel: 3* Miami Downtown Hyatt Regency $55 8/23/03

SUEJONRON
By SUEJONRON,
in

I have just register to this site after seeing it on Cruise critic. This is my first time using Priceline and Hotwire and I am not sure if it is even worth it. My family of 15 will be traveling to Miami on 8/23 for a 1 night stay pre-cruise. We need 4 room all at the same at least 3 star hotel. Is this feasible to try and bid?

I think it's worth it.... the more rooms you need, the more you'll likely save!

You can bid for 4 rooms at a time, and if you select all 4 rooms at once in the same bid (on the first screen), they'll all be at the same hotel.

The only problem i can see you encountering is that Priceline only guarantees accomodations for 2 people, although i have not heard small families having a problem in this area (like it is in NYC or other large cities where the rooms are known to be quite small). How were you planning on splitting up the rooms? (ie- how many adults/children would be in each room) It is possible that all the rooms could only have a king bed, it's also possible they'll all have 2 queens (i know most people don't think this is the case when you book direct, but bed preferences are just a request and based upon availability... no matter how you book).

If the above doesn't "work" for you, you might still be better off using Priceline but getting 5 or 6 rooms (in 2 separate bids.. yes, there is a chance that the 2 separate bids land you at different hotels). You can likely get rooms for <$40/nite, so perhaps an extra room or two would still be cost effective.

Let me know your thoughts after reading the above and then i'll advise you further if you wish to proceed. (of course, ask any questions you have after reading the above)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for replying. In the 4 bedroom we will have 3 rooms with 2 adults & 2 kids each and 1 room with 2 adults and 1 child (total of 15 people). We would need to have 2 beds full or queen in each room. Should I go onto Priceline and try my luck bidding on 4 rooms. How would l know if I might be getting the downtown Hyatt or Sheraton?

I decided to get my feet wet and went onto Hotwire since PRICELINE link was down. I selected downtown Miami, 4 rooms. I picked a 3.5 star downtown hotel with pool, nearby tennis, golf thru their hot wire price of $47. Did not book it since I really want to try my hand at PL. Will check back when link is up and follow your suggestions. Will let you know how I fair.

• 3 weeks later...

Just won our bid for 4 rooms in Miami for 1 night 8/23/03 pre-cruise. The winner is Hyatt Regency for $55 plus $26.52 taxes, $23.80 processing fee = $67.50 per room total. After reading other post seemed I paid too much. I wish I would have waited. Wish I got a better deal but these boards are a life saver. Would never have gotten this far without them.

Priceline's cost for this room is $51/nite, so...

It looks like one of the following has occurred with the Miami DT Hyatt:

-raised it's Priceline rate

-doesn't like reservations for 4 rooms

-now has a higher rate for reservations further out before check-in

I assume this wasn't your first bid upon winning this. Could you post what bids failed prior to this win? (no need to recollect prior days, just the failed bids right before you won this)

Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sue,

I think you did fine. Perhaps with a slightly different strategy, you could have saved $15-20 over the cost of 4 rooms. But then again, maybe not.

Your family of 15 will all have a nice place to stay before your cruise, and I doubt they will see fit to needle you for a possible overbid of an extra $1 or even $2 per person :)

The whole point of Priceline is to get a good, reasonably-priced place to stay, and it's nice when we achieve the perfect bid, but imperfect bids work out very nicely too.

(I have to remind myself of this frequently - not necessarily in respect to Priceline, but today Ryanair!)

See my post above about costs: Priceilne paid $51 for the room, so much cheaper you were not going to get, could be for any of the reasons listed above. Just another example of how there are differenct Priceline rates and availability (and rates) can change at any time.

The hotel does not offer a shuttle. A taxi from the airport (MIA) to the hotel is about $22 and a taxi from hotel to pier is about $8.

I think is the web site:

http://miamiregency.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

I'd suggest phoning the hotel shortly to confirm your reservation for four rooms and asking for the number of beds you want in each room. Then in August phone again to confirm.

Other posters have also mentioned about joining various Hyatt programs and getting bonuses as a result, so you might want to look at that too.

:) I have help on the shuttle part of your question. There is a service called Leasure Tours Shuttle and they charge $5/person from the hotel to the pier, with no restriction on # of luggage pieces per person. You might try them at (305) 496-0825. Speak to Carmen. I am going to be in Miami in August as well but got the Sheraton for $35 on priceline for 2 rooms, dates Aug. 29. I got the tid-bit about this shuttle from a hotel employee, called Carmen and she told me that I just needed to call her 2 days in advance to schedule the pick up.

Hope this helps you out! What cruise are you going on? We are on the Explorer of the Seas -RCCL.

good luck,

Vivi

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]