Priceline Hotel: 4* St Louis (Downtown) Westin

merluza
By merluza,
in

Since April, I have been bidding for a 4* star hotel in Downtown St. Louis for 2nights (17 to 19 September). So far, none of my attempts have been succesful. In the beginning (from April to June), I started with 50$, added free rebid zones and bid up to 65$. Rejected every time. The last few weeks, I have been raising the bids and started at 70$, raising up until 93$ (which was way above the bid I had in mind at start). But even at 93$, the bid was rejected, not even got a counteroffer...

I would really like a 4* hotel Downtown at a maximum of 79$, and considering I still have time, I'm not willing to go for a 3.5* (not yet). What should I do? Wait until September? Is St. Louis a town where you can wait until the very last moment?

Thanks, I used the PRICELINE link for all my attemps and will continue to do so.

Of the 3 'known' 4* hotels in this zone, the Renaissance is sold-out, the Marriott is $189/nite, and the Westin $200+, so your bids are only at half or prevailing rates, which apparently is not enough at the present time. (especially with one hotel showing sold-out, indicates there may be higher than usual demand for these dates... the other hotels also see one property sold-out, and know that may mean extra business for them, and they may hold on to a bit more inventory, or discoutn inventory less, than they otherwise might)

One inteesting this is that i saw one hotel have higher rates for Friday vs. Saturday and another hotel the complete opposite, is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? (at the moment it appears that the Friday nite is the tougher of the two)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks theruare.

Splitting the bid is not an option, I'm willing to pay more to keep the stay in one hotel. I might have guessed there was something with my dates...

Today, I bid up to 105$, still rejected with no counteroffer. I will keep trying, staying below 100$ for now. If this does not work, I think I should consider a 3.5* hotel.

Will post my (hopefully) winning bid.

The Cubs are in town for baseball starting the 18th...that will keep hotel prices up for that night which is probably why you are being denied for the 2 nights.

In my experience, the 3.5* hotels in downtown St. Louis are very nice hotels. I would drop my bid back and add the 3.5* as an additional option. However, I would not recommend a 3* as some of the 3* properties downtown are in dire need of uppdates!

Thanks Travelma!! Maybe I should look for tickets too then :).

I assume prices will not go down then, or at least not a lot. I am really hoping to get the Renaissance or Mariott and will continue trying for at least another month. But off course I would be happy too with a good deal for a 3.5* hotel. If this does not work either, I wil not risk a rundown 3* (thanks for the tip!), but book through HOTWIRE instead.

Just my 2c... I agree with travelma... I prefer the 3.5star hotels downtown myself... Most are in better locations and are in as good or better condition.

I have stayed at 5 downtown hotels (about 10 or 15 different times) using priceline (4star and 3.5star). I consistantly get 45 to 48 per night with 3.5 star rating.

But this week has been a total blackout for me... no hotels in stl anywhere under 70/night (3star) due to the all-star game on Tuesday.... I always get under 60 / night but not during an event like this. Anyway I think the cubs game on your dates is your biggest problem. St Louis is not far enough away for a cubs fan (but then is anywhere?).

My theory is that the rates that I get are posted as a last ditch effort to fill rooms. They have to fill rooms to stay in business so they dont post the rate until they know they need it. I have never seen these downtown hotels at full capacity cuz they are just too large. So my advice is to keep trying. Dont give up that easy. You still have time.

By the way, if you are staying near the river I recommend parking at Mansion House Center...Its only $8 / per day (cash only). Its very close to both the Hyatt and Crown Plaza. Its underground and is a safe area (for downtown). Valet parking downtown is usually runs 25/day.

happy bidding

Thanks for your suggestions, muchado. I think I will start bidding for a 3.5* soon too at a lower bid (one can always try...).

I will certainly consider parking at the Mansion House. It's worth the walk...

We are not flexible with the dates, as this stay is part of our Route66 trip. I will have to accept that 50$, as most wins reported here, will not be possible for our dates. But I'm hoping some rooms will be added to the "pot" in the future. Now I sometimes have the feeling Priceline comes back to me way to fast, right after I've placed my bid, "resubmit" already appears in the header of the page. It looks like there is no 4* inventory to check :).

Is Forest Park worth to consider if you're visiting St. Louis for the first time? Is this a nice neighbourhood?

Most of those hotels are actually in the downtown Clayton area.

Its a very nice and safe area... maybe a bit too nice....There is a Ritz Carlton and a Mortons if you get the drift.

There are lots of good restaurants too. Most hotels there charge for parking.

Quite some time ago they gave me the Seven Gables Inn for 60 in Clayton. Parking was 17. I liked this hotel alot but i suspect its no longer offered. I think it might have been on priceline cuz it was being renovated at the time.

I have also stayed at the Sheraton (3star) which isnt too bad.... Its good for the winter time with underground parking. Its starting to show its age a bit but its in a good area. I dont remember the parking rate.

My favorite area is Westport. Free parking and it has a huge selection of really great restaurants and a funny bone of you like comedy. There are 2 sheraton hotels (3.5star) there that share with each other.... you can use the services of both hotels....pools... internet ... etc.

cheers

What a usefull site, rykos, thanks, I've put it in my favourites. If we get a good deal, we will certainly know what to do :)!

Thanks for the explanation about the St. Louis zones too, muchado, all information is welcome.

Today I went up to 110$, which was rejected. I decided to split the bid, as suggested earlier by thereuare. I preferred not to change hotels during our stay, but I don't think I would really get a good deal while keeping the dates together.

The first night was accepted, will post the win in a different thread. By splitting the bids, it is clear that the second night was the problem. I went up to 85$, and will raise the bid in the next few days.

After weeks of unsuccessful bidding for two nights (09/17/09 - 09/19/09, posted in a different thread), I decided to split the bids, as suggested by theruare.

Started with 55$, added free rebid zones and bid up to 70$. Accepted by the Westin. Tried to add an extra night to the stay with the e-mail link, but the offer was rejected, as expected.

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $70.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Room Subtotal: $70.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $18.69 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $88.69 (USD)

Will try to get a similar deal for the second night, but this night turns out to be tougher. I will update the board if my bid is accepted for that night (will continue trying).

Would have cost 159$ (without taxes) through their website. I'm happy with the result.

I used the PRICELINE link to start bidding.

Congratulations on your success and thank you for posting your win.

Looks like a terrific price for this beautiful-looking Westin. Hope you are pleased with the results. This will be the thread for this part of the stay, it would be greatly appreciated if you could start a new thread for the second part of the stay.

Thanks for using the site's PRICELINE link to start your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]