Name of person who checks in

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

Sometimes when a business meeting or event is planned, or even a family event, the parties involved might not know until the last few days which employee or family member is going to attend. The problem with Priceline bidding in this case is that you are stuck with the name you have put in the screen when you made the bid. There's no flexibility to handle this situation. Any way around this?

Priceline only asks for one person's name, but the room calls for double occupancy.

I put the room in my own name, then when i know the name of the other person in my party, i call the hotel and ask them to put the other person's name on the reservation (NOTE: i'm not asking them to take my name off or change the reservation at all, just to list the second person in my room). I'll often volunteer information along the lines of "i'll be arriving late at nite and they'll be arriving well before me, probably sometime in the afternoon, so i'd like to have them be able to check-in before i arrive."

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've had luck having other people check in when I made the PL reservation under my name just by having them bring a copy of the printed Priceline confirmation. Not sure if it would work at all hotels but I would think so. I don't think I've ever had a hotel ask to see picture ID (though they have asked for the credit card I booked with before).

Hmm, Maybe they have asked and I just don't even think about it. I can't recall being asked for one anyway, but then I can't recall a lot of things :-). I do know however that I've had other people check in before when it was in my name using my priceline reservation sheet. I travel frequently with my business partner (by frequently I mean about 7-8 times in the last year, not all the time) and he often checks in before me but I almost always book the hotel on Priceline. I'll have to ask if they've given him a problem, he hasn't told me that they have. I've also had my wife check in but I can see why that wouldn't be an issue with the same last name.

Also, just about a month ago I booked a hotel on P/L in Cincinnati and had an employee check in, but as I hadn't hired the employee yet I just put it in my name (didn't know who it was going to be until less than a week before the trip). As usual I sent him with a printed confirmation and at least I haven't heard anything about him having a problem. Usually if I know who I'm sending I'll of course put their info. on the hotel room.

I rarely have had a problem at check-in or am asked for ID, PL document etc. Even on the credit card for incidentals, they never care whose name is on it... EXCEPT at the Hiton Cherry Hill, NJ/Philly. I called ahead to say that my girlfriend would be flying in early by a few hours ... could they add her name to the reservation. The person replied that is was no problem at all. When I arrived at 3:00am, guess who was fast asleep in the lobby on a sofa. They refused to let her up at all!!! The next day, the front desk manager found the note and was sincerely sorry for the mix-up. She offered a free lunch. The people working the night shift were in fact very nice to her but could not make an exception ... unless she forked out $169 the rack rate for a room.

Still, on a PL stay, I guess they do not have to add a name or do anything for that matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this mean that only one person can use the room you buy? I am going to try and get a room that 4 of us can stay in. Is this possible? I am hoping to get a room with 2 double beds--can this not be guaranteed? Sorry, but I'm new and trying to learn all I can before I post.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]