Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hyatt Regency

Rimo
By Rimo,
in

Thanks for all you do for us budget minded travellers. We are from STL and have decided to save for a big vacation next year so a quick road trip is in order. I found a condo on vrbo which looks very appealing, but the price of $169 plus $75 cleaning fee ends up being on the high side for this trip... rather eat. I stumbled on the board with that Chicago avebue hotel that looked appealing as well.

FACTS

Driving. Party includes wife, 16 year old son (going on 21) and me. Wife needs accessible building. Want a nice hotel (not convention like Hyatt Regency or Marriott) with a pleasant view and some character. Budget is probably tops $125 ish (a little wiggle if you talk me into something). Only been there once (stayed at a friends house while they were gone - stained their goose down with red wine ummm not an option this time) and I guess we'd want to stay downtown.

Your guidance on where to bid would be genuinely appreciated.

I think we may have looked at the same condo!

I'm in a similar situation. I've noticed you've posted before, so you are aware that you may not always get the hotel you are hoping for.

As for the condo, since I have kids and don't care to eat out all the time, I find condo's more convenient and actually cheaper long term assuming the price spread is about $50-$60. Why? Condo's tend to have considerably cheaper parking, you factor in meals per person and $6 for breakfast, $8 for lunch, and $10 for dinner per person eating out everday tends to add up.

Gotta go, kids are calling, but I'll be checking in later.

Want a nice hotel (not convention like Hyatt Regency or Marriott) with a pleasant view and some character. Budget is probably tops $125 ish (a little wiggle if you talk me into something).

Given your wants/needs for this stay, PRICELINE may not be the best option...

First issue tht you'll be triple occupancy, and PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, so you could receive a room with only one bed and the hotel may be unable, or unwilling, to give you a room with two beds (or there may be an additional charge to do so)

Second, you're not willing to accept any hotel in the zone, as you want a non-business hotel with a particular type of character, and there is no way to target such a hotel when using PRICELINE.

HOTWIRE may be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy, andyou may alos be able to identify the property beforehand based upon the amenities shown, to know if it's the type of property you're looking for or not... still as risk as you need to have guessed correctly, but at least you can take an educated guess.

If you search HOTWIRE for your dates, 2adults/1child, does anything appear within your budget?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a well-located condo right off Michigan Ave ("Steps to Everything 30") showing on Expedia.com for $175 per night, w/the last night free = $131 per night average. Plus, $50 free gas card if you book on Expedia by 7/31 (details on Expedia.com.)

The condo is 900 SQ ft, which is about 2.5X the size of a regular hotel room.

Additionally, you can use coupon code 10JUL for $10 off each night = $121 per night average.

Please use the site's Expedia.com ink if this idea is of interest.

I also see what appears to be the Hotel Indigo on HOTWIRE - that's a wonderful hotel with personality, but if your wife needs an accessible hotel, I figure she may need something more centrally located.

Thx for looking so is hotwire a straight booking. Do you still get as good a discount. I am really grateful for your help. Will look again tomorrow. Have family visitng and the pc is tabu while they are around.

Is this one you would recommend. I see now with HOTWIRE you don't know where you are actually booking until later... this seems like a better option than the Steps to Everything condo .. and you are prob right... cleaning fees were likely wrapped up in add fees. Sorry for all the replies.

OK so change of strategy. For such a short stay we think the condo and potentially cooking is far too much trouble and the cost does not necessarily off set the price for meals. So we are now interested in staying at a hotel that is reasonably priced and comfortable. Last year, your suggestions landed us at the Westin in Seattle for a reasonable price. So I want to try to get the most out of our dollar with a min 4* at no more than $120. Hopefully, a pool/ jacuzzi could be expected. My plan is to try and park at the Millennium Park Garage - ( http://www.millenniumgarages.com/garages/millennium-park ) $24 for 12 - 24 hrs. I did look at Hotwire and found what Aaron thought to be the Intercontinental for $116. I do realize the issue of 3 in my party .. willing to roll the dice here. I did like the Chicago Avenue hotel, but realize we can't pick and choose here. Our interest is downtown Mag Mile or North Michigan Avenue from what I've read. So how would you suggest I bid? Hope all info is included here for you to help me. Is there a way to identify all hotels in each zone? When I click it seems to just show a sample.

You can see the hotels reported to the board in each zone in the Priceline Hotel List. (be sure to read the comments at the top of the hotel list, there are only hotels reported to the board)

While the hotel you receive may have a pool/jacuzzi, i don't think this is something that should be expected. If there are certain amenities you want you should use HOTWIRE and purchase a hotel with a Pool icon (and also ensure accomodations for everyone in your group... i don't recommend using PRICELINE for more than double occupancy in many large cities, but if you want to roll the dice, it's up to you... not sure how your 16 year old son, who you say is gonig on 21, will react if he hs to sleep on the floor :) )

Did you want to bid the NMA zone as well as the Loop zone... or just NMA? The zones are adjacent to one another and you can walk from one to the other, but the NMA zone is a bit more 'lively' and has bars, restaurant, etc, whereas the Loop zone gets a bit quiet at nite after business hours, but is where the museums, aquariums, etc are located.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

All your points are well understood and good ones. I would like to proceed with both the loop and NMA. I think the garage might be closer to the loop area if so, then I'd start with the loop. If not really that much further as you indicate (walk from one to the other) then I'll start with NMA. Thanks again for your guidance.

If you would like to try and low-ball a bid, I'd try for $60 for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. The Hyatt appears to be showing for $87 on HOTWIRE, and while one cannot guarantee which hotel shows up when bidding on PRICELINE, the Hyatt - which needs to fill its 2,000+ rooms - would certainly be a likely possibility of a bid of $60 was accepted.

Please use the site's PRICELINE link if this is of interest.

With HOTWIRE showing a 4* hotel lin the Mag Mile zone at $87 (and a NMA property for $99) there is no reason to bid up to your $120 limit.

If youre goal is the least expensive 4* or better in either the Loop or NMA zone, i would bid as follows:

At the 4* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Loop and NMA...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Well that was way too easy ....

Bid $55 Loop Rejected

Bid $60 rebid zone - Accepted Hyatt Regency Chicago ... now need to tap into network to see if someone knows someone for an upgrade.... Great savings AGAIN thanks to the folks here.... Thanks for your, help, patience and understanding.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]