By Keoni,
in

I have already booked a room at the

JC DoubleTree Club Suites for November 19th -

23 and would like to move into NYC for

23 - 28 focusing on MTW/MTE/CPS/MTS

in that order to be closer to friends already

there. Prefer 4* $120 per night or less, and

would also consider 3* for much less money.

Suggestions? I continue to strike out using

a gradual increase to the $120 level and adding

rebids in the order of the zones listed above.

Am I running into trouble trying to get cheap

rooms around the holiday or are my expectations

too low for hooking a room at the $120 level?

Regards, Keoni

I think your expectations are too great for getting a 4* hotel in the midtown areas for these dates at $120. It will likely take $140-$160 (or more) and i would expect this to get worse as Thanksgiving draws nearer.

Thanksgiving truly starts the out-of-towner shopping season in NYC so hotel rates begin to get busy. Also, the day of the parade is one of the most crowded in town, and many are from out of town, so they too need a place to sleep (not even just the spectators... think about all the out-of-town marching bands, twirlers, etc).

Let us know if you re-evaluate your upper limit (or star quality or zones) and if u want a subsequent strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Fightinirish,

Thanks for the tip on Lower Manhatten. Right now I have a fallback

(cancellable) reservation at the Hotel Pennsylvania for $155 per night

including tax. My primary focus is on being as close to MTW as possible,

W 55th Street, but not being familiar with the area I don't know if it makes

a big difference at either location. The hotel room is mostly a nice bed to

sleep as we plan to spend most of the time sightseeing or being with our

friends at their location. Thereuare thinks that because of the

massive crush of tourists during Thanksgiving the prices probably won't

go down, rather they will go up so I have actiively been playing the bidding

game for MTW, MTE, CPS/UPM, MTS up to $120 with no luck so far. I guess

I could raise my bid to 130 to close with what I have at the Hotel Penn but that doesn't seem to make sense based upon the ability to Cancel Penn up

to 24 hours in advance.

There are a couple of things that I don't seem to understand regarding this bidding process. I see recommendations about using "rebids" that don't seem to be tied to changing anything. This has never been offered to me in the bidding process. Secondly, I have frequently had problems when I wanted to rebid but only changed the date, or changed the date and amount. Priceline would reply that I was submitting a duplicate request so it wouldn't let me bid.

Anyway, thanks for the support on my bidding process.

Regards, Keoni

Re-Bidding is explained here: Bidding Again Before 72 Hours. Feel free to ask any question that you may have. If you want to 'quiz' yourself, there are two re-bid zones available at the 4* level in NYC... feel free to confirm with the board which ones you think they are.

Just as an FYI, I've been inside the lobby of the Hotel Pennsylvania and it looks ok, but the majority of reviews i have read are not very good.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We stayed at the Novotel once over Thanksgiving weekend because we had small children and wanted a hotel overlooking the parade route in case the weather was inclement. Turned out the weather was fine but having the hotel right on the route meant we didn't need to rush down to get a spot on the stree because we could see when it was starting to fill up... It also allowed for quick rest breaks during the parade (working shifts to hold our spots). It was also in excellent proximity to Radio City Music Hall where we had show tickets for Thanksgiving night...again... all purchased waaaay in advance.

Thereuare is correct -- Thanksgiving may be the absolute busiest time in Manhattan because of the thousands of parade participants and visitors.

That said, I strongly advise you to read newspaper columnist Dave Barry's article about the Hotel Penn. It came out a year or two ago and perhaps can be found on the web... after reading it you may think twice about staying there at any price.

Thanks for all the great information. I am using the Penn Hotel as a

"fallback" that is cancellable with the hope I don't have to use it

and can get something nicer in the area via priceline. If someone

can recommend a nicer place for the same or less money, that will

be cancellable up to 24hours in advance, I be happy to take the advice.

Regards, Keoni

Hi, Keoni...

Hotels in Midtown West are asking ridiculous prices for that week. Even on Hotwire, anything decent is in the $300 range.

My suggestion would be to consider Midtown East. The Millennium UN Plaza is showing a promotional rate of $199 on their website ($212 on Hotwire!). When their rate is that low, they've historically come up on Priceline for a bid of $130-$140. That works out about the same as your Hotel Pennsylvania backup, and the UN Plaza gets much better reviews.

It's a 10-minute walk to the nearest subway station (Grand Central), but the M27 and M50 crosstown buses go right by the door. Both buses run west on 49th Street and east on 50th. In addition, the M27 makes a loop around the Theater District.

Good luck, and enjoy your visits to NYC. It's a truly great city. I grew up there and visit often, and I find that a week is never enough to do everything I'd like. (Broadway shows at half price are one of the planet's top entertainment deals. And the Staten Island Ferry offers a view of New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty that is literally priceless...it's free!)

• 4 months later...

Have been looking for a room for the nights 23 Nov - 28 Nov

moving back and forth between a 4* in Manhatten and 2.5/3*

in Jersey City. I have tried splitting my bid for JC focusing on

3* for the weekend nights of Fri/Sat and alternating between $37

and $41. Also offering $37 for the entire period at the 3* level

only. I know this is slim because of the Holiday but any

suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are not picky

and of course prefer the Hyatt but am also agreeable with

Doubletree and the Courtyard.

Regards, Keoni

I believe it is actually the weekend part of the stay that is holding you up.

Here comes a decision you have to make:

I believe you can be successful at $37/nite on Priceline for 11/23-11/26, leaving you with a decision on what to do for 11/26-11/28.

Searching on Hotwire you can get 11/23-11/28 at (what is believed to be) the Hyatt for $85/nite.

Searching Hotwire for 11/26-11/28 shows (what is believed to be) the Hyatt at $195/nite.

So you can either book 11/23-11/26 via Priceline and then still have 11/26-11/28 'up in the air' (and unless something changes you can forget about using Hotwire to fill in those dates since the rate jumps so high)... or you could choose not to gamble on leaving the 26th-28th open and take the $85/nite for the complete stay.

A third option is to book 11/23 via Priceline (asusming can have success at the $37 level) and then book the balance of the stay 11/24-11/28 via Hotwire at $88/nite. Of course this also leaves the door open for you to have to chnage hotels after the first nite if you don't get accepted at the Hyatt (and you can 'fall-back' to buying that individual nite on Hotwire at $94/nite).

Lot of 'meshing' of dates above so any questions feel free to ask.

PS- please update your email address in your control panel (you'll need to revalidate your account once you do so)

:)

Ok Ok Ok, guess I need to get more sleep! I asked for help with bidding then went and checked the Hyatt website for the period I was trying for: 11/23 - 11/28 and noticed the price increased substantially during the two weekend days which appeared backwards from my previous experience. Duh! How many business travellers are looking to be away from home over Thanksgiving so I reversed my logic, bid $37.00 for the

weekday nights of 23, 24, 25 November and Voila'!!! :o

Your Offer Price: $37.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $111.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$23.95

Total Charges: $134.95

Scored again so now I am down to Friday and Saturday nights and with renewed vigor will continue to "play the game!" I have seen some posts that indicate you can add more nights to successful bids but after careful review of my winning notification I didn't see anyway to do this.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention as always ...

STARTED MY BIDDING AT SAVINGSBARN.COM .... SWEET SWEET SWEET

This gets better all the time!

Regards and Aloha, Keoni :)

As always, thank you for the support.

NICE WIN!

The "add a nite" feature is available thru Priceline's website... go to HELP>>HOTELS>> type 'add a night' and then click the link that describes how to do this.

You can only try to add a nite once, and given the difficulty in obtaining these nites previously, i would wait at least a few days to try the add a nite feature as i'm doubtful anything would currently be available.

I'll also mention again (for anyone reading) the deal i arranged for board members at the nearby BAJA MEXICAN RESTAURANT... we ate their again last nite and the steak fajitas or the 'baja special' are definately the way to go! <so good>

Please start a new post for the balance of the stay as i'll now edit ths title to reflect your win.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have been trying for quite a long time (ever since we got the Marriot Marquis for $110 Nov 24-26 - but then got airline tix for ewr leaving the 28th)

Finally decided to up the ante and got the DoubleTree Club Jersey City for $60 per night - I will start another thread immediately after this post.

Might even give the Baja a try on Saturday night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]