I'm screwed :(

fabianhdz
By fabianhdz,
in

Well, as you might have heard, mexicans are required to have a visa since today in order to get into Canada. No warning or anything, they said that if you are flying this thursday you would need to submit your documents and passport and wait for them to return your passport(LOL!)

I live in Canada and i cant leave the country cause i dont have a visa to come back, only a work permit, but thats not valid for getting into the country. My mom was supposed to come in 2 weeks and I doubt they issue the visa so fast, so she cant come to visit. She can come to NY, but i cant meet her in NY cause i wouldnt be able to return to Canada and I wont get this visa in 3 weeks either. I booked all hotels through priceline. Do you think they will make an exception because of all new this regulations? I dont need my money back, i just need to be able to change dates.....is there any hope? Do they even listel to this extraordinary circumstances cases? Should i just forget about it? please advice!

I don't know anything about this, but i'd check your facts, as i don't see anything 'new' in the news on this subject when doing a Google search.

If it's all as you say, and this is truly something new that was proposed and passed with no warning, i'd imagine the government has something set up for situations where travelers dont' have the corret paperwork.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, it is a real problem. Canada now requires visas of Mexicans, and Mexico now requires visas of Canadians, and there has been almost zero notice.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Canada+v...2075/story.html

First, I would have your mother apply for a visa right away. Maybe it is possible.

Second, you will need to escalate this up Priceline support, because I doubt the first-level reps will be able to help you.

I did that already, submit the papers. I'm also working with my company to get my visa. And thereuare, no, goverment didnt set up anything or wont take any responsibility of the costs that this will cause me, and most likely companies wont care either. I will give a call to priceline, but i doubt they want to support in anyway. as always, is the consumer and the innocents that will pay the bill. I dont critize the reasons behind the imposition for visa, but I do critize the way it was done, without taking into considerations the thousands of people with plane tickets already. Its all very sad and unfair :)

by the way, mexico wont ask visas for Canadians. Czechs are trying to get the whole europe to impose visas on Canada. I doubt that will happen though.

I'm not sure how the Canadian government works, let alone the US government, but if one exists, i'd call a local representative (here it would be my councilperson, freeholder, or something similar) who probably has contacts to the equivalent of a senator, congressman, etc who might be able to get a visa or the correct papers for your mom, pushed thru a little quicker than waiting for the routine channels to come thru.

Good luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would also consider contacting the hotel(s) involved and trying to negotiate date changes directly with them.

I hapened to be on the American Airlines website page for travel notices this morning, and noted that they (AA) is allowing some date changes for people affected by the Mexico/Czech Republic change. So this shows that at least one company is sensitive to the abrupt nature of this change, and is showing a little flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

the problem is that my mom still could get her visa this weekend...if that happens, we travel, so i dont want to cancel....i would have to call them on saturday to find out if they can change my bookings for the dates on wednesday,,but its a good tip, i will be definitely calling the hotels in montreal and quebec in case my mom doesnt come (those are for mid august), cause i wont be using them myself at all, maybe i can push them to a further date, let's see what they say, thanks everyone for the tips!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]