Priceline Hotel: Careful what you expand to!

Vancouverbound
By Vancouverbound,
in

Sounds to me that you made a mistake in figuring out which zones qualify as your re-bid zones... care to expand on exactly what you did? (ie- what zones and star rating did you bid first, what zone and bid did you place after that, etc, etc?)

We encourage users to ask for advice before they bid if they're unfamiliar or new at this... as this is your first post it is apparent that you did neither. Since you asked for no help, it's difficult to state that you received bad advice.

EDIT: i contacted this user and asked them to clarify their post with more details, and as expected, i received no reply or additional posting on the board. I suspect the user added a zone that did not qualify as a re-bid zone, and as a result, received a hotel in an area that they did not want. I think the user's title is correct, 'be careful', but i disagree that this user received bad advice... rather they didn't take their own advice of being careful. We are here to help, but if you don't ask questions and/or confirm what you believe to be accurate, then you are soley responsible for your own actions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
I followed the advice of expanding my options to other areas, and got stuck on Priceline way out by the airport for only $2 less than the website sells rooms for on the hotel website...

Thanks alot for the BAD advice.

I think the above comment is not fair. I have followed this website for sometimes and I feel it is very useful. My recommendation is that you need to do your homework to make sure you understand the policies of

Thank you for your comments.

I think it is widely agreed that this user read a few threads here, thought s/he knew what s/he was doing, and then plunged forward without asking any questions... then when not happy with the result blamed us. I'm sure if their car hit a tree it would be the tree's fault! :)

I also contacted this user via PM and asked them to provide more information (either via PM or as a reply to their post) of exactly what they bid and zones added... i wasn't surprised to not hear back from them... nor was i surprised that they didn't post their winning bid :)

Another user suggested i delete this thread as it obviously places blame where it doesn't belong, but i feel this user is entitled to their opinion (even i and others don't agree with it) and it also serves as a reminder to everyone that things can and do go wrong.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 years later...

Let me add to this thread and say that you're right.

Things can and do go wrong.

My story:

I bid on 3* hotel for Montreal 9/29 thru 10/1 (2 nights), since I couldn't find any answers on the reasonable hotwire hotels listed. This is a very busy weekend in Montreal.

I took a look first at the 3* hotels that were available through regular Priceline reservations, and only saw 4 listed...3 in downtown Montreal and one in Laval. I wanted to stay downtown.

I started by bidding on a 3* in Montreal for $100 a night, which didn't seem unreasonable. I believe the Doubletree was listed earlier on Priceline at about $160.

I was rejected.

I decided to add a rebid zone of Longueuil (because I hadn't seen anything higher than a 2 star listed on priceline, and no listings at all on betterbidding.com)...upped the bid to $110.

I was at first excited to hear that my bid was accepted...

until I scrolled down and found I had purchased the Holiday Inn Longueuil for $110 per night!

This hotel is listed many places for $130, big savings! and, I was hoping to stay downtown.

Both tripadvisor.com and mytravelsite.com list this hotel at 2* out of FIVE. How in the world can Priceline have it at 3 out of 4?!?

I called Priceline to complain, and didn't get any help. I have to try to call again in the morning.

Has anyone ever asked their credit card company to stop payment for fraud with Priceline?? Do I have any recourse??

Other hotel sites do have this listed as 3* out of 5. I just don't know where Priceline gets off calling it 3* out of 4.

This hotel is amazingly not listed at all when you look for Montreal reservations for the same dates.

I even entered "Longueuil, Quebec" in an original search on Priceline, and this hotel STILL does not come up! (3 others in that suburb do)

It almost seems like a trap. Maybe it is...so BEWARE!!!! (hope this saves someone else)

There are really two issues in your post above, one which may be legit and the other which is without merit (as it could have easily been advoided by asking for help BEFORE you bid);

1) Star Rating of the Hotel Received

I'm not familiar with this property so can't comment firsthand. There are only three reviews at Tripadvisor for this property... one if from over 2 years ago, another more recent which hated it, and the most recent review enjoyed their stay (and it was a return visit). So based upon current reviews, this is essentially 50/50 and "love it or hate it" (as many hotels are). Star ratings are subjective (a problem throughout the industry) but Travelocity also rates this property 3 stars so it may be difficult to get priceline to budge on this one.

2) Receiving a hotel outside the area you really wanted

As is stressed throughout this board, if you're new to priceline or unsure of anything ask for help before you bid.

This hotel is amazingly not listed at all when you look for Montreal reservations for the same dates.
You can't use the "reatail" product of priceline to determine what you will get thru the 'name your own price' product of priceline. See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ
I decided to add a rebid zone of Longueuil (because I hadn't seen anything higher than a 2 star listed on priceline, and no listings at all on betterbidding.com)

Be sure to read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List:

DO NOT USE THIS LIST to determine what areas to add when attempting to bid again within the 24 hour window (CLICK HERE for information on how to add cities in order to bid again).

The correct way to determine your re-bid zones is explained here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained.

• 8 months later...
The correct way to determine your re-bid zones is explained here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained.

I read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained earlier today. I understand the concept. But I cannot figure how to determine the highest star rating for each zone because the description is for the old priceline page. Also it does not specifically say to use the "name your price" page. Not until thereuare pointed out to me that I should use the "name your price" page before I finally understand. Someone added the NOTE related to the new priceline "name your price" page at the end of that paragraph. But I was lost at the first half.

Please take my comment the wrong way. I love this forum and it provides a good service for all travellers.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]