Student Visa - any ideas

lml
By lml,
in

I know this is way off the usual topic, but since there are a lot of travellers here, I thought I'd ask. My daughter goes to school in New York City. We live in Northern California, which is her permanent address. She is planning to study abroad for this spring semester in Sevilla, Spain. According to the Spanish Consulate in San Francisco, she must apply at that consulate IN PERSON, at least 45 days before her date of travel, which is Jan 11. She cannot apply at the consulate in New York. All her documents and identification list her address as in California, so I don't think we can accomplish a change of residency quickly enough (new passport, new driver's license, etc).

Has anyone encountered this and found any way to work around it? Otherwise, I have to fly her home for a long weekend, which means missing school, and only having one day here when the consulate is open.

Word is that this is a reaction to the US making it equally hard for Spanish students to get visas to study here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]