Priceline Hotel: 11/1-11/5 (Jersey City) Hyatt

Hoover94
By Hoover94,
in

I will be working in NYC the week of 11/1-11/5. After reading many reviews, the Jersey City area seems to be the place to stay outside of Manhattan. But, I am not able to get a successful bid from Priceline. Has anyone been successful for that week? Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This is prediminately a business hotel and therefore mid-week Priceline stays are tougher to come by than weekends (at which point the area is extremely quiet).

The hotel is sold-out for the nite of the 11/3 (and rates are high for the nite of 11/4).

Would you be willing to SPLIT YOUR BID?

If so, i would bid 3* Jersey City at $37 for 11/1-11/3. If you would like to do this, you can bid it immediately since this stay is for a different set of dates than your previously rejected bid (the 72 hour rule does not apply due to the change in dates).

If successful, you could then find alternate plans for the remaining 2 nites of your stay (we can help with that too if/when the time comes).

Let us know if you try the above, and if not, your thoughts. If you don't try the above, what is your alternate gameplan?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the quick response.

I had not thought of splitting up my bid. That is a great idea. I would like to figure out something for all four nights before leaving though. Any thoughts on how to get something close to the Hyatt for the night of the 3rd and 4th? That is in case I am successful with my bid for the first two nights.

As of this writing i'm fairly confident of success for the first 2 nites.

For the subsequent two nites it all depends upon how much you want to spend. The 3* acceptances in the Jersey City area are a terrific deal and i wouldn't use that as a basis for your remaining nites.

You could try a higher bid for the Jersey City area for the other two nites (although a continuous stay at the Hyatt would be unlikely), after that you could try staying in NYC (if you budget allows). If not, i would then consider the Meadowlands/Secaucus area; however, you would need a car to get there from Jersey City.

The possibilities are endless, mostly depending upon your budget. However, if nothing in the area is available within your price range, it would certainly be near impossible to get the complete 4 nites... at least now you'd only be paying more than your budget for the remaining two nites.

If you give an idea of price range i can advise further what i would do if in your shoes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The budget would be $125/night. So, if I were to get the first two night for relatively cheap (say $60/night) then I would have an extra $125 to play with. The other concern is that I will not have a car; using mass transit only.

I have found a 3.5* in Secaucus on Hotwire for $72. Crowne Plaza? How's commuting between this hotel and Midtown?

Let's assume that you are successful for the first 2 nites at $37/each nite. While your budget was $125... leaving a surplus of $88/nite for each of the additional nites. Add this onto your $125 budget and you can now go as high as $213 for each nite of the remainder of your stay.

I would then try Priceline for a 3* or better hotel up to this amount, if unsuccessful:

Commuting from the Meadowlands/Seacaucus area is do-able, but it's not fun. The busses often get caught in traffic in/out of the tunnel and the hotels are on either side of a major highway... not sure if the busses stop by all of them and if not, how getting from one side of the highway to the other is an issue. This could certainly be your 'last resort' option.

Another 'fall-back' option is the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken which is available at $206/nite. It's easily accessible via mass transit from Jersey City (via the recenly opened Light Rail). To commute to NYC from the Sheraton you have three options: a ferry that leaves at the door of the hotel (probably ~$5/each way) or $1.50 Light Rail ride to the Hoboken PATH where the fare is another $1.50, or a bus that passes right by the hotel and takes you to the NY Port Authority (maybe the fare is about $2.10 or so).

QUICKBOOK has the Radisson on Lexington Ave for $229/nite (just over your budget).

We can further discuss the details of any of the above, but it's a a moot point until 1) your successful for the first 2 nites on Priceline and then 2) you're turned down bidding separately for the 2nd half of your stay.

NOTE: for anyone else reading this, the ferry from the Weehawken Sheraton Suites only runs on weekdays... on weekends i believe the hotel will shuttle you a mile down to the road to the larger, main, ferry terminal

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]