Priceline Hotel: Advice for booking on Hotwire

love2dance247
By love2dance247,
in

I have been scouring the internet for probably roughly 3 weeks now and finally decided to just use Hotwire instead as it took me so long to check hotels and reviews etc....

I just need a little advice as we are not going to London until 18th December for 3 nights, so am I looking too early??? We do need a room with 2 double beds as there are 2 adults and 2 children. Think I would only accept 2 separate rooms if the deal was super fantastic as my children are aged 2 and 10 so I don't want us to be separated.

I've checked Hotwire and only 2 hotels come up a 4* in Mayfair/Soho and a 4* in Notting Hill/Bayswater.

I've tried to guess the hotels as suggested in the forums and I think the 4* in Mayfair is the Holiday Inn, however for the price quoted I can get the same online at the Holiday Inn website and to be honest I didn't really want the Holiday Inn (I guess I was just expecting something a little more for a 4*)

Am I being unrealistic?

Would appreciate any advice possible.

Thanks

Katy

The Holiday Inn Mayfair is really perfectly located for a visit to London, and so convenient with children.

If you do not think of it as a true 4*, I can understand that, but keep in mind that you will probably have to triple your budget, more or less, to get a hotel family room that is some levels above a standard business-class hotel. London hotels at the very top end are probably very nice (not that I know personally), but I think it is fair to say that 4* chain hotels in the UK will probably be fairly run of the mill most of the time.

But I would not get it on HOTWIRE if there are no real savings.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are the rates at the PremierInn County Hall or Holiday Inn cancellable? If so, book one to lock in the price, know your best current deal and price to beat, then continue to monitor HOTWIRE in the months ahead in order to try to do better.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure if Premier Inn will be up to standard, but looking at Tripadvisor Premier Inn has better reviews than Holiday Inn. I know it's more expensive in London but for a 3 night break but I don't want to spend a fortune. I would like a nicer hotel if possible that's why I thought about booking on HOTWIRE. I checked last night and another hotel has been added but it's at a airport which is a definite no no.

Maybe I should hang on and not be too eager!

IMHO I'd take theruare's advise and book a cancellable backup that's at an acceptable price\location.

I think you are looking too far ahead for HOTWIRE or PRICELINE at the mo as in the run up to Xmas some 3\4* hotels (around October maybe) will have some kind of deal on if they are not filling their rooms.

Have you been here before?

Are you flying in from somewhere?

In London (as in most major cities) if you are out sight seeing then the location of the Hotel is usually more important than its facilties (IMHO)

Thanks blindman, thereuare has given great advice and I'm definitely going to book somewhere as a back up.

I've been to London before but not with my family, hence why I'm on here asking advice. Really don't want a bad weekend with 2 kids and hubby!

Were not flying in from anywhere, we live in England. I know we will be out most of the time but on one particular night just me and my daughter are going to the 02 so hubby and toddler will be left in the hotel and would prefer it to be a little more than basic if I can get it at the right price.

Do you think I'm asking the impossible? I am quite shocked at the prices to be honest especially for the standard but I guess it's like when you book any holiday, it always seems cheaper to go abroad...crazy!

Do family rooms get booked up quite quickly??

I'm a little scared of leaving it till October but I guess if I have back up hotel booked I'll be ok.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Help Identify 4* London Hotel (The City-Financial District)

Just checked on HOTWIRE this morning and two came up I was interested in, a 4* in Notting Hill/Bayswater (guessing this is Hilton Metropole and this 4* in the city-Financial District. Had a look on the forums but can't find anything similar so wondered if anyone could help me?

It has a Fitness Centre, Restaurant, Business Centre and Internet.

We are wanting to go to London on 18th December until 20th December, it is for 2 adults and 2 children.

Thanks for any help

Please keep all posts for this stay in this thread.

These amenities are quite common for a 4* hotel, and from the Hotwire Hotel List, the above matches the Hilton Islington, Club Quarters Gracechurch, and Crowne Plaza... so any of these would be our best guess (although there could still be others as well)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

sorry thereuare I'll make sure I continue the thread sorry.

Just checked all the hotels on trip advisor and they all look pretty nice. Club quarters says it has no availability for this date so I'm guessing it's between the Hilton and Crown plaza.

Can I ask which area you think is best for a family, The City/Financial District or Notting Hill/Bayswater?

Also I know you can only really guess, but should I book now or wait a little longer as I'm guessing London will be busy at christmas??

sorry thereuare I'll make sure I continue the thread sorry.

Just checked all the hotels on trip advisor and they all look pretty nice. Club quarters says it has no availability for this date so I'm guessing it's between the Hilton and Crown plaza.

Can I ask which area you think is best for a family, The City/Financial District or Notting Hill/Bayswater?

Also I know you can only really guess, but should I book now or wait a little longer as I'm guessing London will be busy at christmas??

Not necessarily true! Both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE sometimes book into what appears to be "full" hotels.

WillTravel is probably the best guy (?) to give that answer.

I've stayed at the Hilton Islington and its good for local shops\restaurants and not far from the Tube. Not sure how it fits into the O2 visit :)

I've stayed at the Hoxton (for a

Thanks blindman. I have resigned to the fact I can not base our whole trip around the O2, It will just mean 2/3 stops extra on the tube but for 1 night it won't hurt.

We'll be doing all the usual stuff I imagine, haven't thought of an itinary just yet. Only know we'll be at the O2, oxford street (see xmas lights) harrods (to see christmas things :-) ) would like to do ice-skating outside too if we can.

Just had a quick look at the maps and the Hilton looks quite far from the crown plaza so I guess it proves they cover a large area within the zones Priceline and Hotwire set out.

While I'm writing this I'm beginning to think it doesn't really matter anymore about the location (I only have 2 zones to choose from) so maybe I should just look at the amenties and the price. I know I don't want to book anything lower than a 4*.

What do you think about booking? Am I still to early to book now?..........Yes I know I'm eager but want to save pounds too!!

I think if you see a good deal be prepared to take it... but don't "settle" for a mediocre deal 3+ months ahead of your stay.

For additional thoughts see the related "book early or close to arrival" in our PRICELINE FAQ.

UPDATE..........

Just checked on Hotwire again and the 4* in The City/Financial District has gone down to $119, I know it's only 10$ per room per night but hey it's getting lower!!

There are a lot more hotels to choose from to, so now I'm debating!

A 4* South bank came up at $123 per room per night. The amenities are fitness center, restaurant, Business center, Spa, Internet and Laundry. Very impressive but maybe if I figure out the hotel it may too far away for what I want??? Does anyone know what it could be?

I know I want a four star (love a 5* but even on hotwire I don't think I would be happy paying nearly 200$ a night) and I think the areas I was happy with was The City/Financial District, but when I saw this 4* in the Southbank I nearly thought about changing my mind!

Too indecisive that's my problem!

UPDATE..........

A 4* South bank came up at $123 per room per night. The amenities are fitness center, restaurant, Business center, Spa, Internet and Laundry. Very impressive but maybe if I figure out the hotel it may too far away for what I want??? Does anyone know what it could be?

That could be the Park Plaza (Hotwire list for London is here)

The 5* Marriott West India Quay comes up at $99 on Priceline. Good for the O2!

GUTTED!

So sorry got all excited there, checked trip advisor and couldn't find the hotel so went back onto Hotwire and had to research the trip again and too my shock only 4 hotels choices came up????.......then figured first option on Hotwire was with only 2 adults :-( back to waiting again, I guess at least I know the prices are coming down a little (down by $5 for the 4* The City)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]