Car rental for people under 25?

ceci
By ceci,
in

My boyfriend and I are going to Montreal for 4 days from July 15th to July 18th. We are having a really difficult time trying to figure out the online booking rules for people like us on HOTWIRE and PRICELINE. It seems like Hotwire doesn't allow anyone below 25 to rent a car through their website while Priceline only has a link that says that they will add $25/day for people below 25. Someone I work with suggest me calling the rental agencies directly after bidding, but I have a feeling that they would over charge us by a lot if I did that.

Does anyone here have any experiences with renting cars online for people below 25?

Thanks!

Are you affiliated with any organizations such as AAA, USAA, Costco, etc? Sometimes they have codes which can waive the underage drive fee.

Hertz recently had a promotion which waived the fee, but that may have ended June 30 as i don't currently see anything on their website about it, although i would try to hold off for a day or two to see if it re-appears (as it was extended at least once before)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

I have this same question and can't find a good answer. I've scoured the priceline site and can't find any mention of a minimum driver age. I found some other websites that said you only need to be 21 to rent, but I'm skeptical of that because I don't see it anywhere on the priceline site.

I am a member of USAA and their website has codes through Avis, Budget, and Hertz to waive the young driver fee, but can I add this code to a priceline rental??

Current at time of posting, taken from the PRICELINE website:

Priceline.com offers car rentals to drivers between the ages of 21 and 24 years old in select locations. Rentals for drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 are available in New York only. Enter the details of your trip and we'll tell you if we can fulfill your request. If we are not able to fulfill your request and you still need a rental, we recommend that you check our partner rentalcars.com.

Please keep in mind that rental companies charge renters under the age of 25 Young Renter Fees. These fees typically start at $20 per day and can be as much as $50 per day for high cost locations or more desirable car types. So a rental car that normally costs $30 per day could cost an underage driver at least $50 per day. With priceline.com, you should include these additional fees in your offer price. If your request is accepted, you will not be charged any additional Young Renter Fees at the rental counter.

Priceline Pointer: All drivers will be required to present a valid driver's license in order to pick up a vehicle and each driver's age will be verified. If the driver's age was misrepresented during the priceline offer process, the driver will be subject to underage fees at the rental counter or denied rental. Priceline is not responsible for rental car cancellations due to age misrepresentation.

In regards to your other question, you can't add the coupon codes to a PRICELINE "name your own price" rental... although you can use them if you rent a car thru the "retail" part of their site where the name of the rental company and the price are both shown (an input box will be shown during check-out)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]