Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Carolina Beach Courtyard by Marriott

LglBlonde
By LglBlonde,
in

Originally, I wanted to stay all four nights of Thanksgiving weekend 11/24 to 11/28. The hotel's own site shows $69 for Wed & Thurs and $89 for Fri & Sat. First bid all four nights $40 rejected. No free rebids.

Then, split bid and bid 11/24 to 11/26 - $35 - accepted immediately. Bid 11/26 to 11/28 $45 and rejected. Will rebid the Fri & Sat portion again. Wondering what kind of bid it will take. If it does not work out, it's fine b/c we can stay with family or cut our trip a little short.

Thanks for having a great site as an alternative to others out there.

Rebid this today at $58 for 11/26-11/28 - got a counter for $17. In my experience, usually half that amount will do it. Tried adding half that to figure total with taxes for a $65 bid - $159. The regular price is $89, with taxes for two nights $201. I'm not too thrilled with that deal, so I think we will wait it out. :)

Husband rebid today - $65 - accepted. Total with taxes for two nights 11/26 to 11/28 $159.81. So, all told, we still saved about $100 over a four night stay.

Above is a slight error - for 11/24 to 11/26 - we bid $37/nt, not $35.

So, now we have our all four nights!

Here's the deal on Carolina Beach. There are only two chain hotels on the island - the Courtyard is the 2.5 star and the Microtel is the 2 star. Both are less than 2 years old. Courtyard is oceanfront, has an INDOOR and OUTDOOR pool! This Courtyard is really nice. I grew up down that way, so I'm VERY familiar w/ the area. We bid this last year for my husband's birthday in Nov. and paid a little bit more on priceline, maybe $45 for a Fri/Sat the week prior to Thanksgiving.

The Microtel is not close to the ocean. It's off of 421, near Jubilee Park. It's a short drive, and could probably ride a bike, but it'd be a hike to walk to the beach from there. I have not stayed at the Microtel yet.

There are tons of Mom & Pop's type hotels/motels, but I'd be shocked to see them come up. So, it's a pretty safe bet. My family lives near Wilmington and husband's family lives in coastal Brunswick, so we will be close to them for the holiday without havign to stay *with* them. :)

• 1 month later...

Had a great stay! A few comments... Incidentally, on the night we checked in, the desk clerk had me intial the rate! It was $32 - I had bid $37 and it was accepted immediately, so a slight overbid.

This same hotel has not allowed PL customers to have a King bed before. On our previous stay the request was denied. Two phone calls prior to arrival resulted in "No, we do not have any Kings available." At check-in, I figured it could not hurt to ask, and sure enough, our request was granted! It was great b/c the King room has a sitting area with a fold out sofa & coffee table. All rooms are oceanfront, so the views are great!

We did have to go back and re-check-in on Friday. The woman who had told me on the phone that there were no kings available was working. She noted that our room had been changed. I think she was a little peeved. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]